Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Well this board has gone to total ****. I'm seeing a lot of people react positively to it on other film boards. Hopefully more people here at SHH will see it and share their honest thoughts.

22% of 113 (as of now) people liked it, that's a very minuscule amount of people, so as far as I'm concerned, as long as a movie has a 1-2%, I'll always give a chance because I could be apart of that small percentage. I'm used to being in a minority :( It sucks when others don't agree on the things you find to be right and good, but that's a core theme of the X-Men I've always enjoyed and connected to so much.

Every movie has it's fans, and legitimate reasons to exist. As does this. I'm so happy it actually made it to theaters.

If you don't like it, that's totally valid and fine! Just bury the dead horse and stop beating it. It's all over now, Disney will save you. They will protect you and give you all the candy you want!
I will watch it this Saturday.

TWayneP, if you didn't think Apocalypse was some sort of cinematic abortion the way it's made out to be, you'll dig this.

Polarized everything now, it spills into pop culture reactions too. No such thing as "okay & serviceable" anymore, it's either the Second Coming Of Jebus or it Just Kicked A Baby, no in-between.

Would have loved them to go out on a Days Of Future Past level quality note, sure, and this isn't that, but it's basically fine. A fun time out at the movies. Hell, it's less disappointing than Godzilla, I'd argue.

That's good to hear. I do get what you're saying. I do like Apocalypse quite a bit for obvious fan-service reasons haha. But I'm also a big fan of small character pieces, grounded drama's, and adult oriented subject matter. Especially in my superhero films, so I'm a little optimistic! Seeing it tonight at 7 with a full house. Hopefully they aren't there to heckle the screen, but instead give it a fair shot.

That's good to hear. I do get what you're saying. I do like Apocalypse quite a bit for obvious fan-service reasons haha. But I'm also a big fan of small character pieces, grounded drama's, and adult oriented subject matter. Especially in my superhero films, so I'm a little optimistic! Seeing it tonight at 7 with a full house. Hopefully they aren't there to heckle the screen, but instead give it a fair shot.
Enjoy Dark PhoeniX!

It's a 44 on Metacritic which ranks it above Origins and below Apocalypse. Usually I think that site is more lenient.

Since I still can't get over it, I mean doesn't Mystique staying in her human form set a bad precedent for what these stories are about? That you shouldn't have to hide who you really are to conform to what the majority of society thinks is acceptable or fearing what is different?

Why is Mystique still hiding who she is? In the comics, she generally wouldn't hide in another form unless she was incognito or trying to trick others.

Additionally, this seems to go against Lawrence's own sensibilities and politics. Why would she be OK with it?

Since I still can't get over it, I mean doesn't Mystique staying in her human form set a bad precedent for what these stories are about? That you shouldn't have to hide who you really are to conform to what the majority of society thinks is acceptable or fearing what is different?

Why is Mystique still hiding who she is? In the comics, she generally wouldn't hide in another form unless she was incognito or trying to trick others.

Additionally, this seems to go against Lawrence's own sensibilities and politics. Why would she be OK with it?
Hehe I get that it's stupefying. But you gotta remember this is 1/2 of the writing duo that thought it was the right decision for Rogue to get the cure. A character arc that basically told every gay, lesbian, queer, black, Asian, Latino teen that if it ever got to the point where being you is hard: Change.

Though it's been said it was Rothman's daughter (?) that chose that path for Rogue? Now I'm having my doubts. Between this and Kinberg's quote that he can't have Hugh/Wolvie in this movie because he would have to devote time for Jean and Logan's "love story" in the DPS version of the comics, what actual lesson did Simon learn from TLS tanking?

Lawrence has sensibilities? She is one of the dumbest actresses in Hollywood, just look at her gross and disgusting behaviour on Graham Norton's, even Pratt was uncomfortable. I suppose she does proudly show the world just how simple she is, though.

But this is Fox and Kinberg's second chance to redo the Dark Phoenix saga and they failed, once again. One can even argue that The Last Stand was a better movie. It is simply inexcusable in film making to not learn from past mistakes and that is why critics are being so harsh on this movie.

In addition, The Dark World and Hulk were released ages ago and there is a higher standard for comic book movies today.

The film isn't absolutely terrible, just wasn't good. For me it felt like lots of scenes are missing, it needed more time to breath. Character motivations switch quickly without the needed time to understand why. Its very Kinberg style writing, placing in story beats for the sake of it, and it ignores the previous films.

As a lot predicted, Kinberg left to his own devices failed at giving a decent adaptation. I never felt the tragedy of Jean Grey, nor did I ever feel like Jean had actually had that much of a power boost.

But this is Fox and Kinberg's second chance to redo the Dark Phoenix saga and they failed, once again. One can even argue that The Last Stand was a better movie. It is simply inexcusable in film making to not learn from past mistakes and that is why critics are being so harsh on this movie.

In addition, The Dark World and Hulk were released ages ago and there is a higher standard for comic book movies today.

Lol. Have you seen it? I haven't been keeping track of the people who have.

Comic book movie standards were just as high when they were released. Hell the original Hulk was released in 2003. That was the year of X2 and Daredevil and after Spider-Man 1. Incredible Hulk was released in 2008, after Iron Man and right before Dark Knight.

Freaking Dark World was 2013. If you think that was "ages ago"... lol.

Lol. Have you seen it? I haven't been keeping track of the people who have.

Comic book movie standards were just as high when they were released. Hell the original Hulk was released in 2003. That was the year of X2 and Daredevil and after Spider-Man 1. Incredible Hulk was released in 2008, after Iron Man and right before Dark Knight.

Freaking Dark World was 2013. If you think that was "ages ago"... lol.

Yes I have watched the movie.

Comic book movie standards are a lot higher today. Last Stand was almost rated fresh on RT and it is widely acknowledged as an abomination in this day and age. Same goes for the Raimi Spiderman movies as well - they would not work in this day and age.

2013 was ages ago in movie years, especially for comic book movies where you are bombarded with a new blockbuster release every other month. At least Marvel learnt what went wrong and hit a home run with Ragnarok.

Though it's been said it was Rothman's daughter (?) that chose that path for Rogue? Now I'm having my doubts. Between this and Kinberg's quote that he can't have Hugh/Wolvie in this movie because he would have to devote time for Jean and Logan's "love story" in the DPS version of the comics, what actual lesson did Simon learn from TLS tanking?
If that's the case, there were apparently more than 1 reasons for it. I think Anna Paquin wasn't very available was said in the commentary and they wanted to justify why she's been gone.

I'm gonna watch today (just wanna get it over with), but I saw coincidentally a clip of Famke on the "Dark Phoenix" premiere, and I just thought, damn! Kevin Feige is not dumb, bringing back the original cast (at the very least James, Famke and Halle) to the MCU, while it would bring unwanted bagagge, it could bring some nice star power (not gigantic, but still).

I'm not even remotely suggesting it could happen, but to be a fly on the wall of that discussion would be fun. I mean when they kinda sorta rebooted James Bond they kept Dame Judi Dench, so if it works, it just works.

U can, but nobody is listening... LOL .

As a hard core xmen fan... Heck my username is comprised of my two favorite xmen so Im not just random trying to spread negativity I'm a fan who has always wanted the best xmen stories out there and I want my favorite team of all time up front and center and celebrated, but its become obvious that Fox just wasn't capable (or willing). The reactions they are getting are very much deserved IMO. Sure I got my ticket but my expectations couldn't be any lower but I'll go in w.an open mind like I always do. Just glad we can put these stories out of their misery and give the team a break and come back revitalized into the MCU!

It's a 44 on Metacritic which ranks it above Origins and below Apocalypse. Usually I think that site is more lenient.
I use that site for videogames ratings and I prefer Rottentomatoes.com for movies, as it has more reviews, but still 44 is quite a low metacritic score.

I'm curious if the Cinemascore to find out if thats gonna be bad as well, which would be a huge X-factor to its boX office performance.

Yes I have watched the movie.

Comic book movie standards are a lot higher today. Last Stand was almost rated fresh on RT and it is widely acknowledged as an abomination in this day and age. Same goes for the Raimi Spiderman movies as well - they would not work in this day and age.

2013 was ages ago in movie years, especially for comic book movies where you are bombarded with a new blockbuster release every other month. At least Marvel learnt what went wrong and hit a home run with Ragnarok.
And people say Shazam! and Ant-Man and the Wasp got it too easy with the critic reviews. If critics are harder (more critical) with comic book movies these days, then I wonder what rating would X1 and X2 get these days. Also films like the Blade trilogy, Daredevil, Elektra, the Fantastic Four films, Ghost Rider, the Punisher, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Catwoman didn't easily eXactly get glowing reviews back in the last decade.

Hey guys and gals just finished it. My expectations were very low. I’ve defended this series even when it shouldn’t have been and I went in knowing this wasn’t going to be great. It made me just enjoy the movie for what it was. Don’t think of this has DoFP, First Class or Logan. But this was miles ahead of Apocalypse.

I hated bits that are just the typical Kinberg/Fox things like lack of development, human Hank/Raven etc but what saved it in most parts was Sophie, visuals and sound. The visuals and sequences were done really good I’ll give whoever helped Kinberg in that department credit. The space mission was really great. Felt like a side X-Men mission. The story was clunky and didn’t really go anywhere but I enjoyed it for what it was and there was some nice callbacks to First Class. I wish so much it was better and made me care more but we are done with this franchise and I’m happy to put it to bed. Overall I think if give it a 6.5/10. It really wasn’t bad it just was middle of the road. But again I will say to me better then Origins, Apocalypse and Last Stand.

I’m just disappointed and sad that the franchise has ended like this. DoFP and Logan were the perfect send off for this franchise and i really wish it was just left alone. Or this movie shouldn’t have ever been the Dark Phoenix storyline. I can see in the film I saw there was elements there and potential to be better but Kinberg has proven time and time again he can’t write a proper story. Whatever his directing was I feel like that was helped by a much more solid team. It’s a shame that some really good talent felt wasted in this movie. But I’m not looking at this as a complete negative. I know what’s to come from Marvel and even though by usual standards DP was not good the taste in the mouth won’t be as bad as to what Apocalypse was. This at least felt like a solid beginning, middle and end movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"