X3 sits on a box office tinderbox (Box Office Prediction thread)

Weadazoid

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well the friday numbers for Posiedon are in and it looks to me like this movie as I predicted a long time ago ss a failure... it failed to over take MI3 and only raised a meager 7 Million on Friday.

People.... the patrons of the mega plexes are waiting for something special, something trully dynamic and action packed.

I still don't think the Code is that movie.... and while I think it will do well.. in the mid 50 to low 60's with the Hedge right there with it next weekend will not be the big weekend of the summer kick off either. The Code and the Hedgee will get people out but I have always felt they divide people and generate good/great numbers as a pair rather then one taking over compleately

Wiating like stick of Dynamite is X3 while it may be a "flawed' movie in some respects I still have no doubts this will be the big movie of Late may and Early June. I still think this is the one people have been wiating for, The Code and the Hedge will get people in the movie going spirit.... X3 will reunite them and others in the following weekend for a tremendous opening.

Detractors will say great Box office numbers do not equate to a great movie and they are right, but we have had such critiques from some nay sayers I find a certain amount of interest in seeing X3 over perform what the negative posters have said in the past about the box office potencial this movie carries.

This movie pops over 90 Million in the 3 day and goes over 100 Million Monday

It should round out in my estimations at about 270 to 300 Million in my opinion

X3 will definitely go big on opening weekend...remember the general population is not like us fanboys/girls..most of them don't know everything there is to know about X3...if nothing it will draw in the popcorn crowd definitely

We shouldn't underestimate Da Vinci...the book has ahuge following...and it will attract the baby boomers and older people...that is where it will make money...and Tom Hanks is always a big draw

ororoandme said:
We shouldn't underestimate Da Vinci...the book has ahuge following...and it will attract the baby boomers and older people...that is where it will make money...and Tom Hanks is always a big draw
I just wanted to point out Hanks' last two movies didn't do too well (The Terminal and Ladykillers) but this movie will do well - but I'm not sure it will get the huge numbers everyone is expecting. We'll find out next weekend!

And Poseidon - it did what it was expected to this weekend. Most sites predicted $21M and it looks like it will do that.

X-3 is opening on the biggest holiday weekend of the year and most people going to it are the general public who don't really know much about most of the characters. I have only learned about them from watching the movies, and I'm going with another couple who knows nothing about them. I think there are many people like this, and the movie will really appeal to them. We shall find out soon enough.

Da Vinci will open huge. Bet on it. Bet on something around 70 to 80 million but it wouldn't surprise me if it hit around 90 to 100 million opening weekend. It's going to be that huge. And it will have legs.

X3 will open to around 90 million because of Memorial Weekend. But Da Vinci will take some of X3's box office that Memorial Weekend.

Between those two films, there's going to be alot of money coming in at the box office.

I just don't see Da vinci opening 70-80 mil, much less 90-100. It'll definitely have better legs than most movies out this year but 70-80 is just a bit too high an opening for such a sombre flick.

J.Howlett said:
Da Vinci will open huge. Bet on it. Bet on something around 70 to 80 million but it wouldn't surprise me if it hit around 90 to 100 million opening weekend. It's going to be that huge. And it will have legs.

X3 will open to around 90 million because of Memorial Weekend. But Da Vinci will take some of X3's box office that Memorial Weekend.

Between those two films, there's going to be alot of money coming in at the box office.
I don't think there is any way it will be $90-$100M on opening weekend - that is usually reserved for holiday weekends and comic book movies, stuff like Harry Potter, Narnia, etc. But we'll see.

ummm...

So any early reviews for DVC. I hope critics tear it to shreds. :up:

You all forget. The power of the pre-teens. The second largest movie-going audience is the pre-teen. Do you honestly think kids 9-14 want to go see The Davinci Code? Or would they rather see Phoenix demolecularize Xavier?

Well I don't think Poseidon was on anyone top 5 movies to watch so I am not surprise that it didn't do too well.

DaVinci will do really well--between the fans of the book, and the people didn't get around to reading the book and to find out what the big deal is about it. And it looks good, I can't wait to see it either.

I think 'Over the Hedge' is going to be huge, considering how well 'Ice Age 2' and 'Madagascar' did. It will certainly give "Cars" a run for it's money.

As far as X3, I'm sure it will do fine. Thankfully, the movie-going public isn't made up of suicidal Cyclops fans, and everyone I know can't wait to see the movie. Most of them aren't even big 'X-Men' fans.

Then again...I'd only be really concerned about the box-office if they planned on sending any of this money to my house. :)

i would rather see the Davinci code.. at least i know it will have a strong story line

TheShadow said:
i would rather see the Davinci code.. at least i know it will have a strong story line

DaVinci was actually fairly predicitable. But it was a good book, I can't wait to see what they do with the movie.

As far as Poseidon...I just realized that movie was released this weekend. And I've seen ads for it everywhere. It was like the invisible summer movie release.

J.Howlett said:

This book sold like mad. The movie will absolutely open big.

270 million for X3, thats kidding yourself. 230 domestic maybe. That would be a good sized hit. Or it could bomb, we just dont know. The opening weekend will be very big thanks to Memorial Day + the strength of the last two movies, but who knows if it has legs?

The box office is plummeting because of the internet - I know people who share pirate copies, or one person buys a pirate copy and then pirates that! It's also plummeting because of the growth in 'home entertainment' - hi-tech surround sound and massive flatscreen TVs, families would rather stay in.. they wait for the DVD which costs as much as four or five cinema tickets.

The other thing that people get bored with is remakes. They want to see something new, something epic.

X3 could do well - they better add that damned firebird effect in and include a shot of that in the final trailers so we see that energy raptor when all the Phoenixy destruction is going on. X3 may do well as a movie, although some key divergences from source material have angered fans. Most of the mainstream will not be fans who know how the 'Jean removes visor' and 'Jean fights Xavier' battles should turn out. It's one thing to adapt source material, it's another thing altogether to reverse outcomes (of those two classic scenes)... but the general public won't be aware of how the original comicbook scenes played out. I also think the Phoenix saga should have been strongly tied into the cure - Phoenix is a good reason for the goverment to push for control measures, I hope that's part of the movie. The evolution theme needs to be there as well as the socio-political aspects of the cure...

Da Vinci Code will be big... because people think it's a true story and because it turns established religion on its head. My cathedral held a massive special seminar about it, inviting experts to discuss it all, and all local church people are going to the opening night.

Jeez-us...Poseidon bombed big time!

IMO, Everyone's waiting for 5 films this summer...:

X3, Da Vinci, POTC2, SR, and Cars...Those five will be the top five movies of the summer and I actually expect X3 to really turn the box office around...Everyone seems incredibly geeked about it, even moreso than Da Vinci, IMHO...

I'm estimating a 74m opening weekend and a 210m domestic box office gross...I don't think it'll make as much as X2 only because if the word of mouth is as incredibly ambiguous and mixed as it is now, I don't expect the lasting impact to become as powerful as it was for X2, so I'd expect it to make around the same as X2, but just a little bit less...

I dunno, maybe I'm aiming low, maybe I'm not. If you've seen the box office numbers from the past 2 years, you'd know why it's becoing good not to get your hopes up too much...I mean, I remember when King Kong was being tracked, they thought it was gonna hit Titanic numbers. In the end, it didn't even make half that..

X-Maniac is right...There's too much more convienience for moviegoers and casual movie watchers these days. With piracy growing, decreasing DVD and DVD player prices, the rising ticket and gas prices, there's the economy, the quicker theater-to-DVD releases and perhaps even the weird weather disasters, it's not too hard to see that there are many more things now that families are having to think about before they decide to spend their $60 to the movies..

I'm just so surprised at the Poseidon numbers...I'm starting to think that Da Vinci won't even make over 35m US domestically opening weekend...

-TNC

Opening weekend: 85 Million.

Once the fans see it and everyone who is not a fan founds out that it's not so good..it will end it's run with around 170 Million.

I know a lot of people who are NOT going to see DaVinci Code because of the storyline. And whoever said there will be repeat business for X-3 is correct - one of the guys in the file room in my office said he is going to a few times over the weekend - he has no interest in DaVinci Code. And I know a lot of people have read the book but I know a few who have read it and won't see the movie because "I read the book so I don't need to see the movie." It will be interesting to see all the numbers!

SANTANA SANCHEZ said:
Opening weekend: 85 Million.

Once the fans see it and everyone who is not a fan founds out that it's not so good..it will end it's run with around 170 Million.

You haven't seen it yet. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"