Estimated Box Office Take

Advanced Dark said:
I don't think anyone thought the movie was going to be delayed in reality. There was a hope that it might but it won't effect opening week at all. Not sure how many X-Men fans under the age of 18 are going to rush to DaVinci code, and DaVinci code isn't likely a movie fans will see over and over. X3 is that type of film and will get multiple viewings. Having a best selling book doesn't mean best selling movie. DaVinci should do good but it won't touch X3's final tally.

Very bold statement....

Da Vinci is such a wildcard. It could pull a Passion of the Christ, or it could pull a King Kong.

I think it's gonna pull a Kong actually, despite appearing to be a very solid film, with an amazingly great cast, and a good book for it base. I don't think it's gonna be this huge summer blockbuster success. People would rather see cool special effects of superheroes, than a good murder mystery during the summer.

The book was huge, and the trailers look very appealing. But sometimes a huge fanbase doesn't always translate into huge profit. *coughserenitycough*

But this does have HUGE controversy, which will make the movie even more of a wildcard.

Well, I guess we'll all know next month won't we. Wow, they are both that close...Wow.

This crept up on us. This is gonna take a moment to sink in on me.

Girls will go see X3 for Hugh Jackman, Aaron Stanford, Jimmy Marsden, Ben Foster and Shawn Ashmore.

Boys will go see it for Famke Janssen (oh, yeah), Halle Berry, Rebecca Romjin, Anna Paquin, Dania, Mota (?), and Ellen Page.

24 fan will go see it for Shohreh after her speechless performance on the show.

Star Wars fans will go see X3 since they're bored and it's the only sci-fi film around that time.

Gandalf fans will go see it for Ian McKellan.

Trekkies will go see it for Captain Picard, Patrick Stewart.

Curious audience will go see it.

X2 fans will see it just to find out what becomes of Jean.

Etc etc etc.

I have faith in X3...

Plus there are xmen dormant fans. By dormant I meant you don't see them so hyped, don't talk xmen, they just live, work, go to parties,etc. But tell them that xmen3 are coming and they would talk and you'd know that they were once fans. Well, I just met some of them. :)

Lightning Strikez! said:
Fantastic Four didn't have midnight showings.

Like hell it didn't. Midnight showings depend on where you're at. Down in S Florida all the theaters I've ever been too have midnight to as late as 1250am showings on friday and Saturday. Heck even on the week days the popular flims have showing going up to 11pm. Now I've been to cities like Charlotte NC and Birmingham Al and their latest shows be like 9-930 and like 1030 on weekends.

A friend of mine said he went to a midnight showing for Fantastic Four.

I was trying to find what I predicted from the opening weekend and thought this thread was a good "reality check." :)

I didn't make an opening weekend prediction but predicted the overall totals using a formula that says X3 would do somewhere between (a) the same percentage increase between X1 and X2 and (b) double that percentage increase.

X1's opening weekend was $54,471,475.
X2's opening weekend was $85,558,731, up 57% from X1.

Therefore, X3's opening weekend would be somewhere between $134 million (up 57% from X2) and 183 million (up 104% from X2). Splitting the difference = $158 million. So the average for each of the four days would be about $40 million. So I would expect a $120 million 3-day opening for X3 with a $158 million 4-day total. :D I hope I did the math right!!

PhoenixRisen said:
I was trying to find what I predicted from the opening weekend and thought this thread was a good "reality check." :)

I didn't make an opening weekend prediction but predicted the overall totals using a formula that says X3 would do somewhere between (a) the same percentage increase between X1 and X2 and (b) double that percentage increase.

Therefore, X3's opening weekend would be somewhere between $134 million (up 57% from X2) and 183 million (up 104% from X2). Splitting the difference = $158 million. So the average for each of the four days would be about $40 million. So I would expect a $120 million 3-day opening for X3 with a $158 million 4-day total. :D I hope I did the math right!!

I think you might be overestimating...the three day total is between 100-110 million according to some sources.

PhoenixRisen said:

WOW that is KINDA off!!! No movie has ever brought in that much, im just trying to be realistic...ill say 120 with friday-Monday

its already like 107 million calaculated so far for friday saturday i think

phoenix_force said:
its already like 107 million calaculated so far for friday saturday i think
I believe thats an estimate for Friday - Sunday

AVP82 said:
I think you might be overestimating...the three day total is between 100-110 million according to some sources.
MAYBE!?!?! I just wanted to see what my little formula would come up with, plus is interesting to look back and see people's predictions!! :D

overseas box office doesnt count for much towards a movies bottom line The studios get paid a flat fee up front by the distributors in the various countries where the film is released. They get the same amount there whether the movie tanks or is a mega-hit. Hence, the reason you only see domestic totals factored into a movie being a success or not.

it doesnt say what X3 made...im pretty sure it not 92 but i hope its somewhere between 65-85

like I said, X3 couldve made $400 million overseas this weekend, and all it would do is help Fox negotiate a bigger distribution fee for X4 or any spinoffs. They got paid for X3 before it even hit theaters there

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"