The Force Awakens Young Female Lead?

^^ I'd say Leia is unlikely to be a female Jedi given Carrie's age.

Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.

Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn't need to be particularly fit.

A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.

Forty something male, fit, military type.

Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

Female Lead? Yes! :yay:

A female lead would be great because it would completely change the dynamic of the journey. If it were another young male it might seem to similar to Luke's.

it would be nice to have a young female Jedi as the lead.

also, how about a reversal of paths? a young female Sith/dark sider who converts to a Jedi??

it would be nice to have a young female Jedi as the lead.

also, how about a reversal of paths? a young female Sith/dark sider who converts to a Jedi??

I think that would be tough with a young female lead, but it's not a bad idea. It would probably work better as a supporting character though, like the deuteragonist. Male or female, really.

I thought I made it pretty clear.:funny: I think Luke's successor should be male.It just seems odd to me for the next protagonist of the series to be female,when you have Lucas (at least when he was in charge) using recurring themes throughout the series of a male successor to each of the starring Jedi.

It would just look odd to me.Here you have granpa Luke teaching some pretty 22 year old actress how to swing a lightsaber.Just weird picturing that in my head.:woot:

You mean, once? Anakin to Luke as lead? Although Leia was as much as successor to Anakin as Luke was really. She got the bulk of his adult personality after all.

I think that would be tough with a young female lead, but it's not a bad idea. It would probably work better as a supporting character though, like the deuteragonist. Male or female, really.

Luke and Leia were meant to be 19, Anakin in episode 2 was 19, I would think we've come to expect a late teen Skywalker.

Now, I don't want to us the word sexism because its not accurate but I think some of you are bringing some prejudicial expectations to this news that doesn't really connect with what we have seen previously. I see older men seeing 'Young woman' and them thinking 'one direction fan'. That is not going to happen.

Last edited:
One name is all that matters: Chloe Grace Moretz!!! "Game on, ********ers!!!" - Hitgirl

The thing is that, the casting for the main female is so important. The rest of the new cast members hinges on this one casting, be it Chloe or choosing someone a bit older in their 20's.

For example, let's take the ages of the characters out of the equation, and just go for young actors: if they cast Ryan Gosling as the male interest or whatever, obviously they can't use Chloe. But if they cast someone like Emila Clarke or Rooney Mara, then it's more appropriate.

I'd love to see Kaya in lead role. I think she'd fit perfectly as an actress in the SWU.

kaya-scodelario-profile.jpg

You gotta put in the last name because I wasn't familiar with her..... though I think I've seen her in some stuff. She does have an exotic and mysterious look to her; maybe because she's half-Brazilian.

Kaya Scodelario

She does have the suited look. And herself as an actress, she's suited for the films.

I believe she'll be on the radar since she's got big films coming up.

Yeah, like The Maze Runner. Even the guy from that (and Teen Wolf), Dylan O' Brien, is supposedly good too. Maybe a contender for one of the leads.

I like him actually. Would be cool if he got a part.

Alec Guinness wasn't exactly a spring chicken in the OT, and he had a little belly on him (not too much, just a little). If the original three are playing mentors, then they wouldn't have to be in tip top shape. Actually, I think Ford is in good shape for his age. I support the casting of Chloe Moretz (I also nominate Saoirse Ronan for a major role). A female lead would be great (Jedi draw their power from the force, there is no rule that a male Jedi is automatically more proficient with the force than a female).

I have no issue with a female lead, but does the lead have to be a Jedi?

I think part of the problem (and only part) with the prequel trilogy was that it focused so much on the Jedi. True, Luke was a Jedi, but he started out as an outsider.

The lead doesn't have to be a Jedi (we're just assuming that, given the previous films). Personally, I'd love to see the main character be an amoral bounty hunter who's drawn into a larger conflict and have to reevaluate their philosophy on life. Sort of like Han, but female and THE main character.

I'm hoping they wont have a main character if it's going to be a teen chick, just ensemble this thing and spread evenly.

I don't know, that's kind of tricky. One of the biggest issues with Phantom Menace was that there was no clear protagonist. It was all over the place.

Then again, I suppose it worked out okay with Abrams' Star Trek.

Abrams ST movies are ultimately focused on Kirk and Spock. They're at the center of everything. The others definitely get their moments, but those two are the key. Also, there are great teen female actresses. Chloe Moretz, Saoirse Ronan, and Elle Fanning are just a few.

I'd be cool with a younger jedi type daughter and an older smartass han type of daughter. Or vice versa. One like Luke and force user and the other more like Han rogue.

Rooney Mara as the older smartass Han-type character.

You mean, once? Anakin to Luke as lead? Although Leia was as much as successor to Anakin as Luke was really. She got the bulk of his adult personality after all.

I meant:
Qui-Gon = Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan = Anakin

Obi-Wan = Luke

I would just imagine the next in the line would be:

Luke = Next Male Jedi

Not to mention we have:
Yoda = Dooku
Sidious = Maul
Sidious = Anakin

Ian Mcdiarmid even called them "father & son" movies.It's pretty clear the series had a very patriarchal bent in the progression of masters and apprentices.

The saga seems to be focused on the Skywalker family, but that doesn't automatically mean that the protagonist has to be male. Luke was the focus because he was Anakin's son. If Luke has a daughter, then her being the focus makes just as much sense. Also, those things may have applied under the Lucas regime, but he's not running the show anymore. Disney is, and a large portion of their audience is female. Making the main character female would actually be a smart movie on their part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"