2012: A Monster Year? (box office predictions) - Part 5

200 or 125 it doesn't seem like it will break even domestically at least.

im talkin domestic john carter and battlship made a ton overseas.i dont consider asm a hit domestically.

Even with WW grosses Battelship and John Carter are still a bomb, not making anything close to consider a success. 2012 is different.

Sunday (8/5) Update: 20th Century Fox reports that Ice Age 4 is on pace to add another $32.8 million internationally this weekend from 13,678 screens in 62 markets. The animated flicks international total is now a staggering $587 million. The worldwide total is $718.8 million.

Why? It's one of the top 100 movies domestic. 70, actually.

i liked asm but a movie with a 230mill budget only makin 250 domstic is not a hit.number 70 out of 100 domestic nuff said.

That's not even accounting for inflation, its not even in the top 200. It needs to hit $281 million to reach that, which it likely won't. So with its large production budget, coming off a successful trilogy it has to be seen as a disappointment. Or North American audiences are tired of Spidey and like Iron Man and Thor more.

If they had gone through with the 3rd raimi sequel casting alone would have pushed the budget into "high" numbers. The only question being would it have made any more at this point.

On pace to be a.... Box Office Bomb ● Box Office Disappointment ● Box Office Success ● Blockbuster ● Not Yet Released

based on worldwide gross, budget, marketing costs and type of film (indie/blockbuster) Films will likely turn a profit/break even with global TV cable sales and Blu-ray sales.

Dark Shadows ● Battleship ● What to Expect When You're Expecting ● Piranha 3DD ● Lola Versus ● Rock of Ages ● That's My Boy ● Girl in Progress ● Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ● Seeking a Friend for the End of the World ● People Like Us ● Savages ● The Watch ● Ruby Sparks ● Total Recall

The Dictator ● Hysteria ● Chernobyl Diaries ● Snow White and the Huntsman ● Prometheus ● Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection ● Katy Perry: Part of Me ● Step Up Revolution ● Easy Money ● Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

MIB3 ● Moonrise Kingdom ● Brave ● Ted ● Magic Mike ● Beasts of the Southern Wild ● The Amazing Spider-Man

The Avengers ● Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted ● Ted ● Ice Age: Continental Drift ● The Dark Knight Rises ●

Warner Bros.

Dark Shadows 5/11/12
Chernobyl Diaries 5/25/12

Rock of Ages 6/15/12
Magic Mike 6/29/12
The Dark Knight Rises 7/20/12
The Campaign 8/10/12
The Apparition 8/24/12

Buena Vista Pictures (Disney)

The Avengers 05/04/12
Brave 6/22/12
People Like Us 6/29/12
The Odd Life of Timothy Green 8/15/12

Universal
Battleship 5/18/12
Snow White and the Huntsman 6/1/12
Ted 6/29/12
Savages 7/6/12
The Bourne Legacy 8/10/12

20th Century Fox

Prometheus 6/8/12
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 6/22/12
Ice Age: Continental Drift 7/13/12
The Watch 7/27/12
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days 8/3/12

Columbia Pictures / TriStar

MIB 3 5/25/12
That's My Boy 6/15/12
The Amazing Spider-Man 7/3/12
Total Recall 8/3/12
Hope Springs 8/10/12
Sparkle 8/17/12
Premium Rush 8/24/12

Paramount Pictures / Dreamworks Animation

The Dictator 5/16/12
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 6/8/12
Katy Perry: Part of Me 7/5/12

Weinstein / Dimension Films

Piranha 3DD 6/1/12
Easy Money 7/27/12
Lawless 8/31/12

Lionsgate

Girl in Progress 5/11/12
What to Expect When You're Expecting 5/18/12
Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection 6/29/12

The Expendables 2 8/17/12
The Possession 8/31/12

Focus Features

Moonrise Kingdom 5/25/12
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World 6/22/12
ParaNorman 8/17/12
For a Good Time, Call... 8/31/12

Fox Searchlight

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 5/4/12
Lola Versus 6/8/12
Beasts of the Southern Wild 6/27/12
Ruby Sparks 7/25/12

Sony Pictures Classics
Hysteria 5/18/12
To Rome with Love 6/22/12
Celeste and Jesse Forever 8/3/12

Summit Entertainment
Step Up Revolution 7/27/12

Open Road Films
Hit & Run 8/21/12

Film District
Safety Not Guaranteed 6/8/12

Millennium Entertainment

Bernie 5/2

Bourne's intriguing to me to see if it answers the question "Jeremy Renner: star?"

Expendables 2 certainly has star power, although whether these are faded stars or they still have some vitality will be seen.

If they had gone through with the 3rd raimi sequel casting alone would have pushed the budget into "high" numbers. The only question being would it have made any more at this point.
i think a 4th raimi with tobey would have made 300mill domestic but like you said the budget would have been 300mill so dosnt matter.

Wasn't Anne Hathaway originally being discussed for playing Felicia Hardy in Spider-man 4 (who in Raimi's version would have been Vulture's daughter) ?

I remember hearing that at one point, and now it just seems ironic.

Felicia Hardy was going to be vultress.

Sam Raimi was just trolling on purpose to get out of directing the Spider-man movies.

In an ideal world spider-man 4 would have had the continuation of dr.connors story set up in the 1st 3 and his transformation into the lizard as well as sam raimi favorite the vulture appear. Also maybe somehow dunst wouldn't have come back.

I agree the vulturess was likely just raimi trolling to get out of the situation he found himself in with sony.

From what I heard, Sandman was his favorite villain. Same for Tobey.

I love how Raimi.has one of the worst ideas ever with the Vulturess and you guys say it was to get out of his contract. Just like how everything bad about sm3 was Sony. It makes me laugh, its also pathetic

I still think the vulture wouldnt have worked as the main villian. He's as appealing as sandman was and we saw the end result there. The problem with spiderman is outside of green goblins/ doc ock/ lizard and venom(done right) all of spidermans other villians are glorified 2nd rate henchman. None have any special backgrounds and come off as hookie.

Last edited:
How is Vulture as appealing as Sandman? They're completely different characters.

I love how Raimi.has one of the worst ideas ever with the Vulturess and you guys say it was to get out of his contract. Just like how everything bad about sm3 was Sony. It makes me laugh, its also pathetic

Well the producer's want to put Venom in the film resulted of Raimi making bad decisions for that. Since he didn't already love the character and idea, he tailored it to fit his own sensibilities... which didn't really work out in the end. So it's both their fault in that regard.

But hey, if they just let Raimi do his thing in the first place. :o

How is Vulture as appealing as Sandman? They're completely different characters.

different characters yes, but on the same level of appeal which is not very much. One guy is completely made of sand and can do sand stuff like sand storms and another looks like a vulture but flys around. Knowing sony and raimi with how SM3 turned out I wouldnt have been surprised if they made vulture have mechanical wings and have jets on them to make him go fast with mini missles. Now I could be wrong and they could have given vulture and sandman an actual STORY and reason to fight spiderman but since it never happened we'll never know. What we got instead was a boring villian and I use that term loosely who portrayed it as ok to steal since his daughter was sick and he "wasnt a bad guy, just bad luck".

I like how ASM is just now about to open in China.
This is why I've always said the speed of international gross is fickle as all hell and really is misleading.

Like TF the Asian territories will be huge for Spidey. Not so sure about Batman though.

From what I heard, Sandman was his favorite villain. Same for Tobey.

Other than Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer, I liked most of what they did for his character. Although it's going to be confusing if Edgar Wright ends up using Scott Lang for Ant Man, because they basically stole his story and gave it to Sandman.

Visually however, Sandman was spectacular, and the scene of him forming and the musical interlude was absolutely beautiful. Whatever you thought of Spider-man 3 as a whole, that's one of the most moving scenes in any comic book movie.

Are people really arguing about Spiderman again? The haters got their wish Raimi is off the franchise so move on already.

I like how ASM is just now about to open in China.
This is why I've always said the speed of international gross is fickle as all hell and really is misleading.

Like TF the Asian territories will be huge for Spidey. Not so sure about Batman though.

They both open on the same day in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"