Sequels 2014

I think I can safely promise you it won't be Ant-Man

for starters Edgar Wright just signed on to do this new Johnny Depp movie, meaning a May 2014 release is unlikely

secondly Ant-Man, if it were to get a movie, has no business being released in May

look at the movies released in May: Avengers, Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows, Men in Black 3, Battleship (which despite it's silly premise is tailor made to do at least decent business at the box office with it's strong promise of action).

Previous May relases include the Pirates franchise, Spider-Man, Shrek

Ant-Man is in reality a Feb-April relase for best box office case scenario, but would probably get a June or August relase, which might be fine.

however you put it in May or July (Amazing Spiderman 2 and TF4 are already taking up box office recipts for those months) and you set it up too fail.

Except this Tweet from Cannes today shoots down pretty much all of what you said:

Rumblings in #Cannes are that @edgarwright's ANT MAN has been greenlit. #rumor

Comes from Twitchfilm's Twitter account, and this is being reported on That Other CBM Website We're Not Allowed To Link To.

Except this Tweet from Cannes today shoots down pretty much all of what you said:

Comes from Twitchfilm's Twitter account, and this is being reported on That Other CBM Website We're Not Allowed To Link To.

I promised that it would not be May 14th 2014 film. So it shoots down none of what I said.

If it is the May movie it's an incredibly poor choice, but Marvel has made too many sound choices up untill this point so I have faith they will be adding a third movie to either 2013 or 2014 for Ant Man assuming this #rumour is true

I promised that it would not be May 14th 2014 film. So it shoots down none of what I said.

If it is the May movie it's an incredibly poor choice, but Marvel has made too many sound choices up untill this point so I have faith they will be adding a third movie to either 2013 or 2014 for Ant Man assuming this #rumour is true

Yeah, I firmly believe Ant-Man *is* a wild card that just got added, and there'll actually be three Marvel films in 2014. Which means the jury is still out on the other film, which could be GOTG or Dr. Strange.

Yeah, I firmly believe Ant-Man *is* a wild card that just got added, and there'll actually be three Marvel films in 2014. Which means the jury is still out on the other film, which could be GOTG or Dr. Strange.

That is the smart play imo

Ant Man in May smells like a Bomb and Marvel seems too smart for that.

I don't know how well GoG or Strange would fair in May considering the sort of 'out there' concept featuring relatively unknown characters but at least I think you have a trailer worth selling for a summer movie with those two (especially GoG)

I fear that a trailer ending with the words "Ant-Man" will get laughed away and need a large amount of word of mouth to succeed....a spot all alone in early March or Octobor will substantially help....It could be a forgotten movie in May

I'm still holding out hope they are debating another Hulk movie, but I would be very cool with GoG or Strange

My money is on GoG though due to that being the vehicle they set up Avengers 2 with

I strongly agree and made mention of this in the PHASE II thread.

So let's break it down now.

My predictions for what's to come:

2013: (set in stone)

-IM3: Guy Pearce is cool (MAY)
-THOR 2: THANOS PREQUEL (NOVEMBER)

2014:

-Captain America 2: The Lonely Avenger (APRIL)
-Guardians of The Galaxy - aka BEST OF THE BEST 3: DYNAMITE (MAY)
*ANT-MAN - only if Wright can be ready to shoot by January of 2014 (NOVEMBER)

2015:

-AVENGERS 2: THE COMING OF THANOS (MAY)

2014:

2015:

As long as the semi-colon titles are completely different this is OK with me

my bet is Thor 2 heavily shadows Thanos but isn't too "Thanos Centric" and then the Thanos prequel (or more backstory fleshing out) will occur in GoG

It makes sense if you consider

2013: IM3-Grounded in reality, Thor 2-cosmic story
2014: CAP2-Grounded in reality, GOG-Cosmic story
hopefully. Ant-Man: new character, grounded in reality
2015: Avengers 2: cosmic story, how about Hulk 2/3: Grounded in reality

let's get another Hulk movie!!!! August 15th 2015! something like that

and if we get a third movie in 2015 October 31st: Dr. Strange!!!!

2014:

2015:

I think you're absolutely on the mark.

Personally, I think "Phase II" will wind up being a cosmic theme, more or less, so GOTG is more likely than Dr. Strange. Then, crystal-balling it (somewhat of a pun here), I'd see Phase III becoming more of a mystical theme for the MCU, with Dr. Strange and a semi-mystical Black Panther being likely releases targeted for 2016-2017.

As far as Phase III goes, BP, The Inhumans & Doc Strange are a given. All of them have cosmic value which contributes to the ongoing Thanos conflict that will begin in Avengers 2. As far as sequels to the solo films, I don't see IM4 happening. I don't see Cap 3 happening (and I'm warming up to the idea of Cap gettin' KIA during Avengers 2). I don't see another Hulk movie happening either. Thor III & GOTG 2 are the only sequels I can comprehend. They have tremendous cosmic value so its def a possibility - though I still think they're highly unlikely. Once Thanos is dead & if the genre is still alive by 2020, I guess they can go back to basics & do some Earth-based stories. What would I do? Namor. The Earth is seemingly safe from alien threats but then gets invaded by an enemy within. How about them apples? Or CIVIL WAR since you'll have over a dozen superheroes by the end of Phase III. Phase IV can add even more by introducing some street level heroes like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher & Blade.

I think you're absolutely on the mark.

Personally, I think "Phase II" will wind up being a cosmic theme, more or less, so GOTG is more likely than Dr. Strange. Then, crystal-balling it (somewhat of a pun here), I'd see Phase III becoming more of a mystical theme for the MCU, with Dr. Strange and a semi-mystical Black Panther being likely releases targeted for 2016-2017.

Yeah I think you are right to an extent. I don't think the mystical theme will take over too much because Panther and Strange are basically the two big mystical entities...but the thing about Phase 2 being cosmic is that it likely will cumulate with a cosmic Avengers movie involving Thanos

I don't know that there is a mystical baddy that would meet the Avengers in A3....mainly cause I don't believe the Thanos story will or should be wrapped up in Avengers 2

Maybe the Infinity Gems will get fleshed out more in Phase 3 as being more mystical than cosmic or a combination of the two

As far as Phase III goes, BP, The Inhumans & Doc Strange are a given. All of them have cosmic value which contributes to the ongoing Thanos conflict that will begin in Avengers 2. As far as sequels to the solo films, I don't see IM4 happening. I don't see Cap 3 happening (and I'm warming up to the idea of Cap gettin' KIA during Avengers 2). I don't see another Hulk movie happening either. Thor III & GOTG 2 are the only sequels I can comprehend. They have tremendous cosmic value so its def a possibility - though I still think they're highly unlikely. Once Thanos is dead & if the genre is still alive by 2020, I guess they can go back to basics & do some Earth-based stories. What would I do? Namor. The Earth is seemingly safe from alien threats but then gets invaded by an enemy within. How about them apples? Or CIVIL WAR since you'll have over a dozen superheroes by the end of Phase III. Phase IV can add even more by introducing some street level heroes like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher & Blade.

I mean maybe BP, Strange and Inhumans are givens...but so is Thor 3, Cap 3 and probably another Hulk movie (I'd really be shocked if RDJ quits making solo IM movies as well)

I hope Marvel moves to 3 movies a year if not more but they haven't made that move yet so it remains to be seen....I think the safe money is on them continuing the franchises they have

I am actually kinda hoping that the late June release date is still available. The reason I say this is because they originally had the May date and the June date and then they moved Cap2 to April, presumably to hold that date. If Ant-Man does get the green light, I'd hope that it moves into the April date because it feels much more like an April movie. Then move Cap2 back June 27, which would be great for him. Dr. Strange would be a great movie for a mid-November release.

May 2013 - IM3
Nov 2013 - Thor 2
Apr 2014 - Ant-Man
Jun 2014 - Cap 2
Nov 2014 - Dr. Strange

Wait, we already know there will be 3 films. Its confirmed I thought? Cap 2. And fiege said there are also 2 unannounced films for 2014

He said they were working on two films they hadn't announced, didn't say they were for 2014.

Last edited:
If Ant-Man shoots this year, as Wright hopes, do you guys still think it'll be released in 2014?

Yeah when his contract is done. I think that's after Avengers 3 and Cap 3. I think, I'm not sure. That's still no indication that playing Cap isnt his cup of tea. Besides the rest of the Avengers still get to squeeze in some good work in between the Marvel films. I'm sure Evans could do it as well

^Yeah, Evans is on record he's got a six film contract. Which, incidentally, he wouldn't do if he wasn't pretty interested in the gig.

If Ant-Man shoots this year, as Wright hopes, do you guys still think it'll be released in 2014?

^Yeah, Evans is on record he's got a six film contract. Which, incidentally, he wouldn't do if he wasn't pretty interested in the gig.

I think people worry too much about the cast

these guys all seem to really be into this, I don't see them leaving anytime soon...maybe six films each will be enough but we have a long road to get there. RDJ ain't leaving, Evans and Hemsworth ain't leaving anytime soon

I dont get why everyone wants black panther. I could just honestly care less. I probably wouldnt even go opening day. Same with ant-man, if its not ultron related

^Fighting, gadgets, stealth, intrigue, badarseness, that kinda stuff. Same reasons they like James Bond or Batman, really.

which is exactly why I dont like him I guess. Idk, I seem to be the minority. And Ant-man, or Giant Man for that matter, seems to be a silly character to bring to screen, meaning, the idea is silly. Again, the only reason I can see it being done is so we can wave the green flag on Ultron. Though, it is looking likely we will see Ant-Man. So maybe we will see Ultron in Avengers 2. With Thanos still doing his thing. I could see it although Ultron may be the villian, Thanos can still be a main character, but never interacts with any of the avengers, and throughout the movie, assembling the gauntlet.

^I really hope they don't do Ultron. It would look incredibly lame to the eyes of the GA. To go from Alien invasion to PG SKYNET just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I dont get why everyone wants black panther. I could just honestly care less. I probably wouldnt even go opening day. Same with ant-man, if its not ultron related

Even if it's not super accurate I think I would prefer a lot of these heroes to be strictly team up movies

I don't think we need a solo black widow movie and a solo hawkeye movie and a solo Ant-Man movie....I really think the best idea would be a SHIELD movie where they are the main characters in an espionage/bourne style thriler

Luke Cage, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Human Torch, and other could comprise a Heores for Hire film in the style of the A-Team or something

I'd love for Ant-Man to shoot later this year, but I think a 2013 shoot is a lot more realistic, given that Wright still has World's End and Night Stalker on his immediate horizon this year. Which would point towards the 2014 release date.

^I really hope they don't do Ultron. It would look incredibly lame to the eyes of the GA. To go from Alien invasion to PG SKYNET just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And I strongly disagree

And I strongly disagree

But when you talk about Ultron it's pretty clear you have fanboy goggles on.

Ultron is a concept that can work, but not as Avengers 2 or 3....They've established a universe bigger than Earth and a threat(s) larger than a sentient robot

All great movies and movie series are based off the same concept: set up and pay off......Ultron would not be adequate pay-off for the promise of what the Avengers has set up at this point.

I think what a likely and very succesfull scenario might be is that this crew of Avengers battles the comsmic stuff and instead of rebooting MCU in 3 films maybe they take a little break from this crew while they recast and regroup and they have an Avengers team of maybe Ant-Man, Cap, Thor, Panther, Wasp and Iron Fist or something to give RDJ and Ruffy a break as they will be well in their 50's by then and may need to be recast

and that group is pulled together when Hank Pym is building Ultron as a way for the Avengers to not be needed as much in defending earth but it malfunctions and turns into an unstoppable force

I'm pretty confident we will not get Ultron for a few movies in the Avengers Universe so I'm not too worried about it....but it's not a smart idea if they hypothetically were to do it in A2. Marvel seems to be too savy to do this imo and it already appears like they won't be doing it

I know it's not Hulk, but am I the only one who thinks a new Hulk film would be the best logical step?
No he's not a new property, but with Hulk/Banner's reception with critics and audiences being as high as ever wouldnt it be best to strike while the iron is hot when it comes to Hulk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"