85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2012 Oscars are OVER! The 2013 Oscars time is now!

I know it is early, but there is a lot to speculate even a year away:

This is a quick list of the potential runners for BP:

THE FRONT-RUNNING LOOKING:

Lincoln (Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis in a bio pic for Abraham Lincoln)
Selma (Lee Daniels makes a film about the African American rights and Martin Luther King)
Les Miserables (Tom Hooper directs great ensemble in a dark musical adaptation of a great novel)
Django Unchained (Tarantino gets the yet another amazing cast in a western.)
Gangster Squad (Amazing Cast and an adaptation about the Los Angeles mob from the 40's and 50's)
The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson returns with strong cast and...we it's Paul Thomas Anderson)

THE POTENTIAL TECHNICAL CATEGORIES FAVORITES:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
(Art Direction, Costume Design, Film Editing, Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Effects, Makeup)
The Dark Knight Rises
(Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects)
Prometheus
(Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects)
Dark Shadows
(Costume Design, Art Direction, Makeup)

I have been doing a extended research on these Oscars and the players in the race.

Tomorrow I will post a full list of predictions of every category!

Start the discussion...

Some of the hot questions:

1) Will Lincoln fail as J.Edgar?
2) Can The Dark Knight Rises finally get a BP nomination or it has to settle on some technical nods again.
3) Can The Hobbit do a LOTR presentation at the Oscars?

DiCaprio is like Pacino - solid in just about every role he's in, but he didn't win that Oscar until he moved out of his comfort zone and did something that was really out there. Django Unchained is a step in the right direction, The Great Gatsby isn't. Of course, not to say Leo is not going to be great in Gatsby, it's just that chances are we have already seen him in similar roles (The Aviator). He hasn't pushed the limits of his talent yet. I think he'd do well to take some notes from Daniel Day-Lewis, who is almost impossible to recognize from film to film.

Pacino was more than solid and should have won easily with The Godfather Part II.

I have no idea what was the performance that Pacino lost to.

Anyway, with Best Actors, this SLP behind the scenes featuerette perfectly describes why I felt Bradley Cooper deserved a nomination.

That was a really tough year in that category though. You had Dustin Hoffman for Lenny and Jack Nicholson in Chinatown nominated that year. Myself, I would have given it to Hoffman.

Neither of those guys won either. :funny:

I have never even heard of Harry and Tonto.

So with the addition of all these musical numbers from Les Mis and now Skyfall, it looks like we're looking at another four hour Oscars. Since I've got the day off from work the next day, I'm down.

It wouldn't be so long if they cut out all the bull **** stuff in between awards. Didn't they have Cirque De Solie performing stuff every 20 mins on the show a few years back?

With MacFarlane on board I suspect we'll get some musical numbers, but maybe not as much cornball extravagant stuff.

So I finally saw Amour and I have no clue how it's possible for a film to be this boring and mundane to be so popular among "critics" and the Academy.

It's got subtitles and there are long stretches of just people sitting or staring.

Oscar gold.

heh, it just proves to me that those critics who look down upon stupid action films and praise films like Amour have really no room to say anything.

So I finally saw Amour and I have no clue how it's possible for a film to be this boring and mundane to be so popular among "critics" and the Academy.

I haven't seen it, but since I've seen Les Miz three times, I'm using that to fulfill my French requirement for the Oscars this year. :oldrazz:

Saw Silver Linings Playbook today. As good as Chastain was in Zero Dark Thirty, I'd love to see Lawrence win it. She was fantastic.

Me too. She was better than Chastain. Her scene for owning DeNiro pretty much sums it up.

If I want to see two old people staring at each other, I'll just go to a nursing home and watch that for free. :o

I think you might have answered your own question.

I can't figure it out either. For example, I actually sat down and tried to watch The White Ribbon three times when it was on the movie channels and I just couldn't take it. I dunno if it gets good after the first 30 minutes but this guy don't know.

I watched The Iron Lady the other day, Jesus. The stuff actually dealing with Thatcher's life and politics was okay but all the **** with her doddering around as Thatcher with alzheimers got tired quick. I actually ended up skipping forward 30 seconds at a time for the last third of the movie. I can see why she would maybe win an Oscar for best actress, I guarantee that was great acting, but I'm not surprised the movie was never nominated for "Best Picture".

I have The Artist in my Netflix instant cue, I've been trying to work myself up to watching it but I have the feeling it is going to be a massive disappointment.

I haven't seen it, but since I've seen Les Miz three times, I'm using that to fulfill my French requirement for the Oscars this year. :oldrazz:
Despite the original book by Hugo and the musical written by these 2 French dudes, there is actually nothing French about Les Miz:woot::cwink:

Despite the original book by Hugo and the musical written by these 2 French dudes, there is actually nothing French about Les Miz:woot::cwink:

It was a joke. In fact, I actually do want to see Amour, it's just not playing here. :cwink:

It was a joke. In fact, I actually do want to see Amour, it's just not playing here. :cwink:
:woot::up:
I haven't seen Amour either. It looks so depressing that I can't bring myself to watch it:o
On the other hand, I recommend "Untouchables", now that's a pretty good, uplifting French film.

Saw Silver Linings Playbook today. As good as Chastain was in Zero Dark Thirty, I'd love to see Lawrence win it. She was fantastic.
My wish is that Watts wins it, but if not Naomi then Lawrence. Chastain's performance just isnt as strong as those other two imo.

I'm going to see Silver Linings Playbook today. So far I'm rooting for Watts in the best actress category. Lawrence may surprise me.

I'm going Argo all the way for bp. Beasts was good but not bp good, in fact I don't even know how it got nominated. zero dark is waayyy overrated but nominated for its patriotism. I assume? Armour is a lock for bfl, but not bp. Lincoln is the period piece oscar bait of the year, accolades in the categories like costume and production design and of course acting...not bp. Life of Pi, such a strong contender, and my personal second fave of the year. Which brings me to Django. If we considered the academy going with crowd-pleasers like Bond or Avengers due to the TDK fiasco, then Django was surely their way of honoring that, and it is my 3rd fave of the year. Silver Linings...acting and writing is its best chance. Les Mis and Lincoln will be competing for the same awards all night but bp is out of the picture for both. but I'm still going argo because it flirts so well with hollywood being the hero and this entire academy is made up of people who were there when that event took place and they love nothing more than patting themselves on the back for stuff like that.

Last edited:
Argo wins the PGA. Game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"