85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 2

Actually, it is. At the beginning, the wet dream that Christian Bale wakes up from was supposed to be the last few minutes of B&R. In some cut dialogue, he goes, "What the **** was that BS?!".

Fixed

Life of Pi Oscar 'an insult to cinematography'

Cinematographer Christopher Doyle slates decision to award statue to Ang Lee's film

Cinematographer Christopher Doyle has slammed the Oscars for awarding the cinematography gong to Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' in a blistering tirade.

The visionary – and outspoken – Australian photographer behind films like 'Hero', 'In The Mood For Love' and 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' thinks that the film's reliance on post-production and effects means it did not deserve the award.

“I'm trying to work out how to say this most politely, and no offence to - I don't know him ('Life of Pi' cinematographer Claudio Miranda) personally - but what a total f****** piece of s***,” he told the South East Asian arts website Blouin.

“I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and I'm sure he cares so much, but since 97% of the film is not under his control, what the f*** are you talking about cinematography, sorry. I have to be blunt and I don’t care, you can write it. I think it's a f****** insult to cinematography.

“That's not cinematography. That's control of the image by the powers that be, by the people that want to control the whole system because they're all accounts. You've lost cinema. This is not cinema and it's not cinematography. It's not cinematography.”

Doyle also claimed that among the American Society of Cinematographers, there was similar feeling towards the film being awarded the statue, and added that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences which awards the Oscars hs 'no f***** idea what cinematography is, the lunatics have taken over the asylum'.

So what do you think?

Does Doyle have a point?

He just sounds bitter. Miranda is a great cinematographer.

Hater, pure and simple. Working with vfx doesn't make the cinematographer any less than someone working with other tools.

I didn't think "Life of Pi" deserved most of the Oscars it got... : /

Yeah I see what he's saying but I don't agree. They're still coming up with beautiful shots, they're still getting the right lights in the right positions. Now if they complained about Avatar winning it than yes I agree, there isn't one ounce of real in that. Life of Pi deserved it. The shot of him underwater with the boat sinking in the background alone deserves the award

Avatar. Hugo. Inception. Fellowship of the Ring.

If Doyle truly has a principled stand against computer-heavy movies winning the cinematography award, he's awfully late to the party.

I thought Life of Pi deserved every Oscar it got and should have won Adapted screenplay. Its laughable to see that bitter cinematographer bash Pi's visuals. Look at Hollywood today, its CGI-filled, but these guys made the damn tiger and Orangutan real

Just watched The Sessions. Kinda feel like John Hawkes got screwed over a little bit.

Whoa he wasn't nominated? He deserved it way more than Cooper

He was so great in that. He should have been nominated over Denzel or Bradley Cooper, imo.

The only nominee I've been able to see so far is Flight, and I'm not knocking Denzel because he's awesome and was great in it but he wasn't on this level. I'm not expecting to be this impressed with Cooper or Phoenix either.

Whoa he wasn't nominated? He deserved it way more than Cooper

He got noms for a crazy amount of stuff for this but barely won anything and didn't even get a nod from the Academy.

Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead
Nevada Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor
Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Ensemble Acting
Pending — Chlotrudis Award for Best Actor
Nominated — AACTA International Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Detroit Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama
Nominated — Houston Film Critics Society for Best Actor
Nominated — Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor
Nominated — San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture
Nominated — Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Nominated — St. Louis Gateway Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Utah Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated — Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor

His part in Winter's Bone was much the same. It's baffling.

The only nominee I've been able to see so far is Flight, and I'm not knocking Denzel because he's awesome and was great in it but he wasn't on this level. I'm not expecting to be this impressed with Cooper or Phoenix either.
Phoenix was my favorite performance of the year hands down. I still believe he should have won over DDL. Cooper was good, but not on the level of Hawkes, DDL, Phoenix or even Jackman, imo.

BTW, Hawkes did at least get an Oscar nod for Winter's Bone. But he was more impressive in The Sessions and definitely deserved a nod for that.

Get Hawkes in a comic book movie stat.

Academy Award Best Picture winners (1929-2013)

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o10_r2_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o5_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o3_r3_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o6_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o8_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mk1a9hOlBU1qzqqa5o7_r2_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts