85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 2

6 times that's happened right?

Actually, its only happened 3 times without a nomination.

wow.

Makes sense though. If you are responsible for making what is truly the best film of the year, then it stands to reason that you would be considered the best director.

^Yes that's why people were saying Argo and ZDT had virtually no chance for Best Picture once the nominations were out.

Gladiator won Best Picture, but not Best Director. Not sure how much baring it has, but sometimes a film can win Best Picture without Best Director.
Nomination not win.

Last edited:
David O. Russell's "shot":

tumblr_mislugfY5d1r213uio5_1280.jpg

Payback for the BAFTA reaction? :lmao:

Saving Private Ryan won best director but Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture.

Gladiator won Best Picture.

I'm saying its very rare for a Best Picture win without a Best Director nomination. Ridley Scott was nominated but he didn't win. Argo was only the third time that its happened.

I'm saying its very rare for a Best Picture win without a Best Director nomination. Ridley Scott was nominated but he didn't win. Argo was only the third time that its happened.

Oh gotcha. I looka at it like this. Best Director is about the technical side of the film. Best Picture is more than that. It is about how you feel when you walk away from it. What does the film leave you with. A film can be technically great, but a less great film might leave you with something more.

Yes but usually the quality of the film is attributed to the director. Take any two directors and give him the exact same material and resources and you can get entirely two different films.

Yes but usually the quality of the film is attributed to the director. Take any two directors and give him the exact same material and resources and you can get entirely two different films.

Sometimes its more than the director or the technical side of things. Do I think Argo was the Best Directed film? Probably not. Did Argo impact me, and leave me with more than the other films? Yes, and for that I think it deserved Best Picture. Its one of those rare cases where the subject matter and story and film overcome its own shortcomings.

Sometimes its more than the director or the technical side of things. Do I think Argo was the Best Directed film? Probably not. Did Argo impact me, and leave me with more than the other films? Yes, and for that I think it deserved Best Picture. Its one of those rare cases where the subject matter and story and film overcome its own shortcomings.

Well, I think it is rather absurb to assume that all the awards that Argo won were due to sympathy votes, and besides other major awards like Golden Globe, SAG, DAG, Producers, and BAFTA also went to Argo. People imo just like to give this film too little credit for its achievement.

Well, I think it is rather absurb to assume that all the awards that Argo won were due to sympathy votes, and besides other major awards like Golden Globe, SAG, DAG, Producers, and BAFTA also went to Argo. People imo just like to give this film too little credit for its achievement.

Yeah, Argo deserved what it got. It was tightly paced, didn't over stay its welcome, told a compelling story, and had me biting my nails. That's a great film if you ask me.

No one is saying its just because of that but you can't say it didn't contribute to it in some degree.

Nicholson hit's on Jennifer Lawrence

pkdRgSo.gif

[YT]WJmhsJ5T5L0[/YT]
i hope JL makes a joke that all old actors warned her to not follow Jack into a room. :woot:

Jack is an old vampire. he doesnt care about the oscars. he is there to hunt young meat.

I thought it was a great show last night...

- Seth was awesome.
- The gags were good and the music was stunning.
- The right people one.
- Jack freakin' Nicholson was there. It never feels right when he's not.

Yeah it drags at moments, but the Oscars always does. I still wish The Dark Knight Rises was recognised in some capacity but oh well.
At least the score for TDKR could've gotten a nomination, sometimes I don't understand why the academy insists on nominating scores to movies that don't actually drive the story.

I didn't do badly in my predictions, 16 out of 24, but that's not great either.

Here's the rundown:

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

I SAID: "Open Heart"

IT WAS: "Inocente"

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

I SAID: "Paperman"

IT WAS: "Paperman"

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT

I SAID: "Asad"

IT WAS: "Curfew"

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

I SAID: Life of Pi

IT WAS: ife of Pi

BEST SOUND EDITING

I SAID: Skyfall

IT WAS: Skyfall...and Zero Dark Thirty (A tie! I believe this is the first tie - in any category - since 1969, when Katharine Hepburn and Barbra Streisand both won Best Actress, the former for The Lion in Winter, the latter for Funny Girl. I guess that's how you make the Sound Editing category interesting.)

BEST SOUND MIXING

I SAID: Les Misérables

IT WAS: Les Misérables

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

I SAID: "Skyfall" from Skyfall

IT WAS: "Skyfall" from Skyfall (There was no pretense that any of the other nominees had a chance, either - a portion of "Suddenly" was performed during the Les Mis medley, but the others were given the clip treatment. Here's the first Bond theme to win, and hooray!)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

IT WAS: Life of Pi

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING

I SAID: Les Misérables

IT WAS: Les Misérables

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

I SAID: Anna Karenina

IT WAS: Anna Karenina

BEST ART DIRECTION

I SAID: Anna Karenina

IT WAS: Lincoln

BEST FILM EDITING

I SAID: Argo

IT WAS: Argo

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

IT WAS: Life of Pi

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

I SAID: Amour

IT WAS: Amour

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

I SAID: Searching for Sugar Man

IT WAS: Searching for Sugar Man

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I SAID: Wreck-It Ralph – Rich Moore

IT WAS: Brave – Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman (Well, I didn’t think Tim Burton would win for Frankenweenie, and he didn’t. I really liked Brave, but it was the third best animated feature of 2012, not the best. Of course, it’s all subjective, but this was one of those rare years in which the best animated feature was not made by Pixar.)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

I SAID: Lincoln – Tony Kushner

IT WAS: Argo – Chris Terrio

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

I SAID: Zero Dark Thirty – Mark Boal

IT WAS: Django Unchained – Quentin Tarantino (DJANGO!!! This was my favorite moment of the night, the happiest I was during the show. I knew it was a contender, I said it was a contender, but it felt like it was between Zero Dark Thirty and Amour. Nothing against Zero Dark Thirty, it’s terrific, but I’m so glad I was wrong and it was Django.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

I SAID: Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables

IT WAS: Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

I SAID: Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln

IT WAS: Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained (I underestimated Django. Again, I knew it was a contender here, I knew Waltz had more of a chance than Hoffman or Arkin, but I thought it had come down to Jones or De Niro. Waltz certainly doesn’t have as many clip-ready moments as Jones. But again, I was really glad I was wrong. It’s a brilliant performance, and very deserving.)

BEST ACTRESS

I SAID: Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook

IT WAS; Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook (I wasn’t interested in seeing Silver Linings Playbook when it opened, but I am now, even though I don’t think it looks great. I wish Chastain had won, though, because she’s so damn good in Zero Dark Thirty.)

BEST ACTOR

I SAID: Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln

IT WAS: Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln

BEST DIRECTOR

I SAID: Steven Spielberg – Lincoln

IT WAS: Ang Lee – Life of Pi (Biggest surprise of the night. I did not think there was enough love for Life of Pi to carry Lee to a win, but here you go. I thought if it wasn’t Spielberg, it’d be Russell.)

BEST PICTURE

I SAID: Argo – George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Ben Affleck

IT WAS: Argo – George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Ben Affleck

As for the show…

-I wasn’t sure how Seth MacFarlane would do, but I think he did a good job. The opening was very funny (I answered my initial, “Why is Shatner here?” with a clear, “Why not?”), and he actually made me laugh out loud several times – first with his first line, something like, “And the quest to make Tommy Lee Jones laugh begins now.” (Jones actually chuckled at that!) My two biggest laughs were his line about the mission Argo depicts being so top secret that the director of the film was unknown to the Academy, and, the one that no one in the crowd seemed to notice but I certainly did, the reference to Argo being an “entertaining film, but despite that, it was nominated for Best Picture.” MacFarlane always had a smile on his face delivering his own material, which I’m sure annoyed some people, but I didn’t think he lapsed into too much smugness or made it about himself too much, and I was kind of afraid he would. He was a solid host.

-This was a bad year for the people who hate music at the Oscars – the, “This is the Oscars, not the Grammys!” people. I was fine with it, and happy to not have to sit through a Cirque du Soleil performance.

Dame Shirley Bassey! Now, I don’t like the stage version of “Goldfinger” as much as the one that’s in the film, but this was really cool. The performance was a little rocky at first, but she probably hasn’t sung the song in a long time. She turned it around, though, and what was really impressive was not that she could hit that last note, but that she could still kill that last note.

The performances from the best (or so Travolta said) movie musicals of the last decade were fine, but none of them really worked for me as well as they should have. It would have been nice if the very best movie musical of the last decade, Sweeney Todd, had been represented, but oh well.

Adele was great, “Skyfall” is a great song, but the music was drowning her out. It’s not her fault, it’s not the song’s fault, it was the orchestra’s fault.

That orchestra also used the Jaws theme to play someone off early on, and man, was that a dick move. People get played off all the time – they even tried (and failed) to play Tarantino off – but the way it was done that time felt particularly harsh.

Barbra Streisand wasn’t drowned out when she performed “The Way We Were” after the In Memoriam montage, though. It’s a good thing, too, because if she had been drowned out, she’d have been impossible to hear. It wasn’t such a strong performance, and the way she made the moment all about her and her relationship with the late great Marvin Hamlisch felt distasteful.

I like Kristin Chenoweth, I like that they did something different by doing a song to the losers over the end credits, and it was pretty funny. I was probably the only one who sat through it.

-There was a refreshing lack of montages for the sake of montages. The only one I can remember is the Bond tribute, and that was well done. I know there are some people disappointed that the rumored reunion of every actor who’s played Bond didn’t happen, but I didn’t think there was any way they’d get Connery for that, and “every Bond minus Connery” would have been disappointing anyway.

-The reunion of The Avengers made for a funny bit, but, fanboy that I am, I was disappointed that Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson weren’t there – just because it meant that not all of the Avengers were there. It was kind of awkward to have them presenting Best Visual Effects – the only category in which The Avengers was nominated – to Life of Pi, even though Life of Pi was a lock anyway.

-That commercial with Tim Burton in it was funny, but I couldn’t stop thinking, “I like this, it’s funny, but I’d rather have seen Tim Burton in the show itself, receiving an Oscar for his fantastic movie.”

-They just had to have Dan Radcliffe and Kristen Stewart present together, huh? Sure, let’s keep linking Harry Potter and Twilight, even though they’re different in many, many more ways than they’re alike. And hey, Kristen Stewart? Hi, how are you? Because you look awkward and/or miserable all the time. You’re a movie star! I know this is your thing, but it’s not cute. Act like you’ve been there, and act like you wanna be there again.

-It was a pretty good year speech-wise, with Chris Terrio, Jennifer Lawrence, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Ben Affleck giving particularly nice ones. It’s unfortunate that Lawrence tripped up the stairs on her way to accept her Oscar, but charming too, and she even wished Emmanuelle Riva a happy birthday, which was a really classy move. Affleck turned his speech around after a weird moment when he talked about his marriage being hard work (I mean, relationships are that, but dude, it’s a victory speech, now is not the time). Tarantino turned his around, too, after what was coming off as arrogant (‘I’m here because I hired great actors – damn it, I’m good at casting!’); he pretty much always comes off as a bit arrogant, though, and that’s only okay because his work is great enough to compensate/justify that.

I thought it was a good show – not a great show, but a good show. I’m sure that 99% of people who watched have already called it the worst Oscars ever. Because that’s what happens every year.

Last edited:
I just read this:

The Academy is broken into various branches (producers, directors, actors, musicians, writers, etc.). In most categories, the nominations are determined by votes from each of the different branches (so writers will determine nominations for best original and adapted screenplay, actors will determine nominations for all the acting categories, directors determine best director nominations, etc.). Every member of the Academy can write in nominations for Best Picture. Once the nominations are set, everyone can vote in all categories (except for a few special awards where a special panel is set up to make sure the movies were actually seen, like foreign films and film shorts, etc.).

So Ben Affleck didn't get a Best Director nomination because the directors who voted on the nominations didn't think he was worthy. However, the majority of the general voting body of the Academy did find ARGO to be the Best Picture and nominated and then awarded it as such. If Affleck had been nominated, he may have won since the general voting body could have contributed votes. But since he wasn't nominated, those votes went to Ang Lee.

I just read this:
Also, there are (apparently) only about 300 directors in the directors’ branch of the academy (the only people who get to nominate for that award). So even if they, as a block, were determined to snub Affleck (for director and for BP), that still leaves about 5700 other academy members who can out-vote them on, at least, BP.

Also also, the Directors Guild (membership: about 14,000) is much larger than the directors contingent within the academy. So that helps explain how Affleck got the DGA award.

I just read this:

But didn't he win the Director's guild award? Certainly there's a pretty wide intersection in the Venn diagram of directors in the Guild and directors in the Academy.

Why would they honor him in their own awards and not at the Oscars?

Edit
Also, there are (apparently) only about 300 directors in the directors’ branch of the academy (the only people who get to nominate for that award). So even if they, as a block, were determined to snub Affleck (for director and for BP), that still leaves about 5700 other academy members who can out-vote them on, at least, BP.

Also also, the Directors Guild (membership: about 14,000) is much larger than the directors contingent within the academy. So that helps explain how Affleck got the DGA award.

Interesting, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"