9.09 - Pandora - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Anyone else think Durance is starting to overdue her Lois a little bit? I think she needs to tone it down a bit, because Lois is starting to feel like a caricature.

Anyone else think Durance is starting to overdue her Lois a little bit? I think she needs to tone it down a bit, because Lois is starting to feel like a caricature.

yes, there are times that I cringe. Atleast once an episode she gets this ******ed look on her face (I thinks its a I'm "confused but cute" look). Otherwise she's doing the part justice.

I think there were some sour notes acting-wise for everyone in the cast in this episode. I think it's the director's fault, usually I don't have any problem with Erica's performance.

I think there were some sour notes acting-wise for everyone in the cast in this episode. I think it's the director's fault, usually I don't have any problem with Erica's performance.

agreed. With Erica though, there are these moments where I wonder how much sugar, coffee and wakeup pills she had before shooting the scene. Nothing damning. But she's a case of hypertension waiting to happen.

In Pandora, that was actually noticably absent.

THANK...YOU
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
. I've felt this way about her for a while now.
She really overdoes the sarcasm bit to the point where I cringe.
The reason I've always preferred the Lois from Lois & Clark is because Hatcher never overplayed her the way Durance does, she was always so natural in her portrayal that it was impossible not to like her. That is and always has been the best Lois that has ever graced the screen.
Durance would be SOO much better if she just toned it down and was more natural with her approach. It's like she did some research on Lois and focused on acting out the "feisty" above all else, and that IMO is the wrong way to go about it.

If anything, we've seen less of a sarcastic Lois and more of a vunerable, down to earth Lois this season. Erica has gone a lot since her debut on the series. Not once has she over-played the role and has improved over the years. Last season, people were complaining about not enough Lois, now this season, there's too much of her and Erica's portrayal is over-the-top?:huh:

yea i havent had any problems with erica's lois at all.

If anything, we've seen less of a sarcastic Lois and more of a vunerable, down to earth Lois this season. Erica has gone a lot since her debut on the series. Not once has she over-played the role and has improved over the years. Last season, people were complaining about not enough Lois, now this season, there's too much of her and Erica's portrayal is over-the-top?:huh:

Agree to disagree. I never said she was bad, and it could very well be the way she's written. I just think the sarcasm and snide remarks occasionally go way over the top. Not every line has to be a one liner.

Word RT, I totally agree with you 100%. I've enjoyed Erica portrayal as Lois Lane this season immensely especially this first half of the season where we really see Lois at her most vulnerable . She's usually able to mask her feelings with sarcasm & bantering around Clark. But this is the first time in the series continuity where we see the woman behind the reporter . IMO it make the character that much more real and relatable .

What's the word on your review trip? This is one I've really been looking forward to looking at based on your comments here.

What's the word on your review trip? This is one I've really been looking forward to looking at based on your comments here.

Oh, I'm almost done... just tweaking before I send it off to Craig.

I still really don't know what grade to give it yet... It's not usually that hard to grade, but there is so much to love but so many mistakes too.

:facepalm:

I think this will make me old before my time and make me actually glad to have a break before the next episodes come out.

Agree to disagree. I never said she was bad, and it could very well be the way she's written. I just think the sarcasm and snide remarks occasionally go way over the top. Not every line has to be a one liner.

I think you have a point, but I also have to agree with others in thinking that they have made great strides in making Lois less abrasive and more vulnerable and accessible.

I have a co-worker (my only SV-watching co-worker!) who stopped watching the show a few episodes ago because she absolutely hates Lois, and Erica's performance. She finds Lois to be over the top annoying. She's not a shipper or an online fan, just one of the mundanes. ;) I told her she needs to check out the last few episodes because I think/hope it will change her mind about Lois.

The writers do tend to get stuck in these quip-laden ruts, or at least they did with Chloe for many seasons. The heavy-handed way they handle her dialog used to drive me nuts. They do seem to have dialed her down a bit though too.

Just sent it off to Craig...

3.5 outta 5.

Too harsh?

It was a hard decision to make, given the lovely scenery in this one, but oh well...

:(

hmm i thought it was a good episode myself, a few little things that were off. But another solid episode this year. I think the characters were well. But i cant wait to see your review.

hmm i thought it was a good episode myself, a few little things that were off. But another solid episode this year. I think the characters were well. But i cant wait to see your review.

I know a lot of people liked it, even placing it first, but there were just too many things wrong...

What I consider poor direction topped the list though, probably pushed it over the edge.

Hopefully the grade will make sense once you read the review.

It's up by the way, Craig got it up quick, like a half hour or 40 minutes after I sent it to him:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/pandorareview.htm

ok i am checking it out now, will see your view on it.

Ok trip, i just finished reading your review. Always top notch writing you do. I do enjoy reading them as you well know. Now i do agree with your points a bit. As for the whole kandorian thing and alia, many of us here and other boards like ksite believe there is more to it then what we saw in this possible future. We know there is 13 more episode in the season. So the whole towers and zod's plan for getting powers could be explained in more detail in an upcoming episode. As for alia she is a mystery something has to be up with her. As to why she had powers under a yellow sun there is a few theories going there. Acting i thought was well around for all, and i agree not the best direction for this director i did like what he did in bulletproof alot more. As for other things like stuart's getting shot i believe he was shot in the back and not in his head. But i too thought he was dead as a doornail to chloe stated later he was still living. But again a good review and i understand your views on what you didnt like. I might watch the episode again myself and watch it a bit more creditical.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people liked it, even placing it first, but there were just too many things wrong...

What I consider poor direction topped the list though, probably pushed it over the edge.

Hopefully the grade will make sense once you read the review.

It's up by the way, Craig got it up quick, like a half hour or 40 minutes after I sent it to him:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/pandorareview.htm

just finished reading your review. It was a good read. You bring up valid points regarding the inconsistencies in the episode. I hadn't thought of the episode in that much detail but when you break it up the way you did, the episode had many problems. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't rate it lower. 3.5 out of 5 is a high grade considering all the plot holes in the episode. I didn't know the writers were new. It was a bold move to give the episode to new people at such a pivotal point in the season.

well we cant count all things as a plothole yet when we dont know if some of the things in the episode wont get explained in an upcoming episode. But only time will tell.

I don't see why they couldn't have explained the Alia thing in Pandora if they were ever going to explain it in the first place. Since it wasn't addressed in the episode, I'm assuming the producers didn't bother to explain it. A quick line about her being different from the other Kandorians would have sufficed.

Theres something mysterious about the girl, that maybe the writers decided not to reveal yet. I mean just look at her blue contacts, and tell me otherwise. For why she is different from the rest, is beyond me. I can't think of anything logically that can explain it.

There is one plothole that hasn't been address yet, that really bothers me. How can Lois work with somebody and not bothered to ask where the hell he has been?!?!?

ok i am checking it out now, will see your view on it.

Ok trip, i just finished reading your review. Always top notch writing you do. I do enjoy reading them as you well know. Now i do agree with your points a bit. As for the whole kandorian thing and alia, many of us here and other boards like ksite believe there is more to it then what we saw in this possible future. We know there is 13 more episode in the season. So the whole towers and zod's plan for getting powers could be explained in more detail in an upcoming episode. As for alia she is a mystery something has to be up with her. As to why she had powers under a yellow sun there is a few theories going there. Acting i thought was well around for all, and i agree not the best direction for this director i did like what he did in bulletproof alot more. As for other things like stuart's getting shot i believe he was shot in the back and not in his head. But i too thought he was dead as a doornail to chloe stated later he was still living. But again a good review and i understand your views on what you didnt like. I might watch the episode again myself and watch it a bit more creditical.

Well, I had to remind myself about Morgan's directing in Bulletproof, I think I remembered having some issues with it, so I went back and reread my review. I think he had some of the same problems there he did here, but the script was more solid being written by Bryan Q. Miller instead of two newbies...

just finished reading your review. It was a good read. You bring up valid points regarding the inconsistencies in the episode. I hadn't thought of the episode in that much detail but when you break it up the way you did, the episode had many problems. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't rate it lower. 3.5 out of 5 is a high grade considering all the plot holes in the episode. I didn't know the writers were new. It was a bold move to give the episode to new people at such a pivotal point in the season.

The grade was hard, there were so many things I liked, but so many I didn't.... I did enjoy some parts quite a bit, so I really struggled with the grade.

I was going to give it a four because I think I did like it better in some ways than Roulette, which I had given a four, but Roulette at least had no problems with the acting or plot consistancies so technically, I think that was a better episode from the writing, directing and acting view points.

As for the writers, I think they did okay with some things, the Clark/Lois scene were all good and I really liked the ending Daily Planet scene, but check out their IMDB pages. They've got some experience, but not a lot.

They last wrote for The Book of Daniel three years ago and had previously wrote a Hercules episode...

I think it was a bit questionable them giving newbie writers that have been untested a major mythos-centric episode.

Maybe they'll do better the next episode they write.

yea maybe they shouldnt have given this episode to these new writers maybe they should have taken a different one like idol/crossfire/echo for example and leave the important episodes to long time writers like peterson/souders/BQM/etc.... other guys i blanking on.

As for alia i still believe like others something is up with her. She does have that mysterious thing to her character(those eyes for one.....). But yea they could have hinted to something the episode but they might as well wanted to keep it a continuiting storyline to be played out later on. But we dont know yet.

Nice review, triplet, but I do disagree on a few points:

I'll eat my words at the end of the season if I'm wrong, but I really, really don't think the Alia thing is a plot hole. That's not the kind of mistake they'd blatantly make twice. And those blue contacts aren't just random. She's different, we just haven't learned how yet. And there are plenty of reasons they may not have wanted to tell us by now in some throwaway line or whatever - it might just be pivotal to the plot as it all starts to come together.

The Stewart-not-dying nitpick doesn't bother me (it's not clear exactly where/how he was hit, imo), nor does the "Clark didn't love Lois before she time-traveled" thing that some people have complained about, because I think they well-established that he was into her before that and probably wouldn't realize just how much until faced with the prospect of never seeing her again. I mean, "Savior" was set just 3 weeks after her disappearance and look how much more attached to her he felt by then.

Also, RE: Tess's motivations - I thought it had been made clear that Tess is trying to save the Earth, NOT humanity. She said to Jor-El a couple episodes ago that she saw how humanity was destroying the planet and she thought this more advanced race of super beings (which she pretty much worships as gods) taking over would have to be better than leaving it in the hands of humanity. So when Tess talks about "saving the world" she's talking about the planet itself. She doesn't give two s**ts about the human race. That's why Lois referred to her as an eco-terrorist. So Tess's actions/motivations in this episode didn't seem wonky to me at all. The vulnerability we saw in her death scene was just evidence that she did feel some guilt over betraying her own people and all the horrible stuff that's happened, but she thought it was necessary.

And yes, "Destroy our world" does mean destroying the "Kandorian empire" they had built. I don't see a problem with that.

Frankly, I'm glad Lois didn't figure out Clark's secret only to have her memory erased AGAIN. I'm so sick of that plot-device, and it would've meant yet another scene of her dealing with all of this information again that would've slowed down the actual plot of the episode. In other words, it would've been needless filler. But I do agree that the direction was a little shoddy, and they could've had the others (Chloe, Oliver & Clark) be a little more subtle about it. Like, instead of those lingering "uh oh she's gonna figure it out" looks, they should have just breezed passed and not even given Lois a chance to process the hints.

The only genuine plot-hole I saw in this episode was the fact that Lois wouldn't recognize that torn shirt as the Blur's. He didn't even start leaving that symbol around Metropolis until after she left, so there's no reason she'd recognize that.

Otherwise, I think this episode will probably fare better once we see how the rest of the season plays out and what some people think are plot holes might actually be explained. And overall, it's not my favorite episode of the season, but I did like a lot, certainly more than "Roulette" and "Echo."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"