A New Era for the Wrestling Thread

So I watched Wrestlemania for the time since 30!

Night 1 thoughts

The set is decent but I'll never be a fan of the excessive lighting and sponsorship all over the place.

The commentary team is OK, McAphee doesn't suit being a kiss-ass in the main event though, he should stick to his style, especially since Graves is doing the exact same shtick.

The opener was good, I'm not as enamoured with Rhea as many are but she's good in the ring and I thought both women brought it, plenty of good back and forth with some slick exchanges and the feeling of a real struggle, a contest between 2 top athletes with a good finish.

To be honest my attention drifted during the ladder match for the tag titles, just a lot of stunts, I was pleased to see R-Truth get his moment though.

The LWO tag match was OK and I thought Jey vs Jimmy was clunky, both matches felt like they could have been on a Raw or Smackdown.

Really enjoyed the 6 woman tag match, the entrance for Bianca, Naomi and Jade was epic, very superhero feeling, Marvel might be casting a copyright eye towards Jade's Storm stuff lol and Bianca had Cyclops visor on. Damage Control were pretty much cannon fodder for some Road Warrior style dominance, this was the right way to use Jade Cargill as she's a superstar but very raw, it was especially clear when you saw how Bianca flowed through the ring with fantastic timing hitting her big spots.

Gunther vs Sami......maybe it's because I'm not remotely invested in his story but I have no idea wtf they were doing having Zayn go over. I didn't sense any great clamour from the crowd for Zayn to win and overcome odds that were in his own head. The match wasn't particularly great either, Gunther's striking offense doesn't lend itself to a bumping underdog face and it looked disjointed, the finish made even less sense, if you're going to beat Gunther you do it with a flash pin so it's an upset, not just a bunch of cycled through finishers and a clean pin in the middle of the ring.

The main event was fantastic, it started out like an oldschool 80's Mega Powers match, then did the Austin attitude era crowd brawling and then settled into it's rhythm. I thought Rock was great here, he's obviously top heavy with muscle mass and can't move as slickly as he used to, but working heel allowed him to use his physical presence and experience, he worked so smart and his timing was really good for someone who hasn't had a proper match in a decade. The moment he took the back elbow double team from Cody and Seth I knew he was on point, no double clothesline counter, he was working full heel, he sold for both the faces all match, he nailed the big spots (Peoples elbow into the Codycutter was a standout) and it was all paced perfectly Imo. Not to take away from the other 3 guys, they all Busted their ass, but we knew they'd deliver at the highest level and they overdelivered! The facial expressions and the way all 4 guys interacted with the crowd throughout was exactly what pro wrestling is about, it draws you in and I totally marked out when Roman speared Rock followed by the dual Pedigrees lol one of the best false finishes I've ever seen. Incorporating the weightlifting belt into the finish was great storytelling and it was the perfect ending.

Night 2 thoughts

Triple H called it the greatest Wrestlemania of all time, I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was great and the best booked wrestling show I've seen in years, well over a decade, the pacing and match variety was spot on.

Seth vs McIntyre was a good opener, Drew going straight for the win to capitalise on Seth's injured state made sense, it was basically a case of the 2 guys just hitting each other with their best shots from opening bell, it was fast paced, high impact and crisp. Seth was great as the injured fighting Champion so Drew winning worked, and then the cash-in was perfect as it heightens Drew's paranoia and "woe is me" mentality and added another layer to his feud with Punk as he spoiled Drew's moment because Drew couldn't stop trolling, now it's Priest's chance to see what he can do in a top spot.

The Philadelphia Street Fight was essentially a tables match and was a fun change of pace, it was fairly short but everyone got a chance to shine, Montez Ford in particular had a couple of spectacular spots and I thought having Bubba as the ref in Philly was a great touch.

AJ vs Knight was another good match, proper mid-card contest, not too long, good intensity and athleticism, his lack of selling of the leg was poor but overall this was the best match I've seen from Knight and the finish was nice and straight forward, clean and well executed.

The triple threat for the US title was probably the weakest match of the night but was still decent, the 2 veterans guided it and Logan Paul hit his athletic spots, his frogsplash for the finish was incredible.

Iyo vs Bayley was really good, like I've said before Iyo is the best in-ring talent since HBK, everything she does looks great and her timing is flawless. It was a good contest and as expected Bayley went over.

Roman vs Cody....this had that intangible big match feel, exactly as WWE title match and Wrestlemania main event should, and both guys were on point, they can deliver a great match with no trimmings, but we knew the run-ins were coming and they were really well executed, except the Cena one which I thought took too long to happen, but as bitesized showdowns they were perfect and I think the Undertaker being the last one was a big surprise, most were expecting Austin, but I'm guessing they were going with Taker's "Conscience of the WWE" standing. Then Cody finished things succinctly, sticking Roman with 3 Crossroads and a clean pin, Roman's prone body afterwards was class, he went out in regards to this reign with class as the top heel. Cody's celebration with his family and all the faces afterwards was great feelgood stuff, it almost felt like it was catharsis for the company in the wake of Vince.

Overall I enjoyed both night's, the booking across both was on point, I didn't agree with Gunther losing but that doesn't make it bad booking, and maybe he's injured or something. The storytelling was tight throughout and while I wouldn't say there was any amazing standout matches, there were plenty of good ones and for me the best match across the 2 nights was the tag team mega match.

Top 5
1. Cody & Seth vs Rock & Roman
2. Roman vs Cody
3. Iyo Sky vs Bayley
4. Rhea vs Becky
5. AJ Styles vs LA Knight

MVP's were Rollins and Samantha Irvin, Seth worked his ass off and put everyone he came into contact with over, even his run-in just saw him selling, and Samantha is not only a beautiful, sexy Lady, she has the pipes of a Goddess! :wow:

I also watched Raw, there was a LOT of talking lol quick bullet point views.

- The 15 knuckle shuffle! :funny:

- Roxanne Perez 😍

- Sami & Gable vs Imperium was solid (Gable heel turn next week in the IC title match?)

- Liv taking out Rhea, physical stuff

- Fatal 4-way was decent, Bronson was really good here and cut a solid promo earlier

- Another strong promo from Drew

- I figured Punk would cost Drew as they needed something to close the show.

Ohhhh, and of course the opening, fantastic response for Cody and then Rock arrived, how best to describe that segment, hmmmmm let me think 🤔 ........ah yes, got it!.......

So I fought through Dynamite so far, which has been rough, to see the footage and... I don't know why they showed this.. It went down exactly as Punk said... He choked Jungle Boy for like 30 seconds.. Let go & sort of lunged in Tony's direction but was probably a few feet from getting near him... They used it to set up FTR Vs. The Young Bucks... Who, came off as the jokes they are... The pudgy one is incredibly cringeworthy...

Ospreay just now cutting a promo on HHH for the "didn't want to be part of grind" comment, going on about how he's putting on classic matches blah, blah, blah while stumbling over half his promo.. Bunch of no selling spot fests that are so rehearsed it's barely more than a dance routine... He's a good athlete but his matches are not impressive at all to me, at no point does any of his matches I've seen even attempt to appear like a real struggle, a real fight... It's literally just taking turns doing moves on each other.. It's popular with the AEW diehards cuz that's the style they like but it's never going to advance their base past that to other wrestling fans...

I wanted to like AEW and I did enjoy some things they were doing about a year or so ago... But man, it's gone so far down hill in the last year and half it's basically unwatchable... They desperately need MJF to re-sign because they're drowning without him (all though his booking was HORRIBLE his last couple months, with the dumb Adam Cole nonsense.. Cole is another goof I can't take seriously)... The Jericho/Hook/Shabata promo was embarrassingly bad... Alot of scrubs running around getting TV time... Just hard to watch...

Last edited:
So I fought through Dynamite so far, which has been rough, to see the footage and... I don't know why they showed this.. It went down exactly as Punk said... He choked Jungle Boy for like 30 seconds.. Let go & sort of lunged in Tony's direction but was probably a few feet from getting near him... They used it to set up FTR Vs. The Young Bucks... Who, came off as the jokes they are... The pudgy one is incredibly cringeworthy...

Yeah . . . I don't know either. I'm thinking maybe the point wasn't to embarrass Punk. Perhaps it was just set the record straight to end all the questions. Like look guys yes it's as Punk described, and yes he's gone because of this, so like FTR said let's just move on. Emphasis on moving on rather than trying to embarrass anyone. Tony Schiavone didn't look too pleased though.

Yeah . . . I don't know either. I'm thinking maybe the point wasn't to embarrass Punk. Perhaps it was just set the record straight to end all the questions. Like look guys yes it's as Punk described, and yes he's gone because of this, so like FTR said let's just move on. Emphasis on moving on rather than trying to embarrass anyone. Tony Schiavone didn't look too pleased though.
Schiavone looked pissed... Definitely looked like he was visually making it known he wasn't pleased with them showing the video.. And remember, according to Punk, this kind of started with him asking Punk for help because Perry was cussing him out... The whole thing backfired on AEW IMO... If you're a wrestler in AEW watching this 2 things come to mind... A. They're showing one of their current wrestlers getting punked by a former wrestler and B. Doing it for some form of revenge against a former employee... If I'm working there right now, neither make me feel good about the company I work for...

There was never any upside to showing that footage. I cannot watch AEW cause I don't have live TV, but this entire publicity stunt stank of desperation. The kind your ex-girlfriend that sends you death threats if you don't take them back. It's an embarrassment and nothing good could have come of it. Even if this made it clear Punk was Satan, whats the benefit? You're not gaining eyeballs to hour product long term. You need to have a product people want to watch to do that.

Tony Khan is an idiot

There was never any upside to showing that footage. I cannot watch AEW cause I don't have live TV, but this entire publicity stunt stank of desperation. The kind your ex-girlfriend that sends you death threats if you don't take them back. It's an embarrassment and nothing good could have come of it. Even if this made it clear Punk was Satan, whats the benefit? You're not gaining eyeballs to hour product long term. You need to have a product people want to watch to do that.

Tony Khan is an idiot
Not to mention, if this does get a rating spike…all it proves is that even when he’s not in their company, Punk is still their biggest draw lmao

I watched it. Without audio, what's this supposed to prove? This changes nothing and AEW just looks bad here for pulling this crap. That company is a complete joke. I hope MJF and their high end talent have some common sense and leave at the first chance for greener pastures. Tony Khan is a clown

So my belief is unchanged, which is that Perry

Disrespected Punk on a major live broadcast.

Publicly challenged Punk to do something about it in front of his peers.

Without excusing Punk, I've known people like Perry all my life where they think they can say whatever they want in front of people, and societal norms/rules of the workplace/privilege will protect them against getting a slap. If you're going to constantly poke the bear then I'm afraid you can't complain when they show claws. And to be clear, I'm simply talking about a scuffle which is all this was, because I've seen some weirdos conflate this into some life threatening event for Perry. He was simply put in his place.

...okay I predicted a puppet show cuz I thought showing the actual footage would be the stupidest thing you could possibly do

It was in fact the stupidest thing they could've possibly done.

I'm not gonna say RIP AEW yet, I lived through mid 2010s TNA and even now we're not there yet. But...we're not far off. And if Tony doesn't do a very drastic purge and overhaul? It's gone by 2030

Just to say as well that Ospreay seems well able to dish it out about WWE and what they couldn't offer him, yet gets all offended when Hunter fairly defends his company as a workplace worth coming to.

Tony has lost the plot.

They released the footage, and now they went around telling every channel on YouTube to take it down. They're trying to scrub it now after releasing it themselves? Lol. Tony needs to find a boss to manage that place for real.

Overall this has been a really entertaining few days for wrestling.

Looking at the footage it makes no sense to show it, it just confirmed what Punk said happened, I don’t see how that helped AEW or got any heat for themselves, it was even more desperate than Edge's weird promo I just saw off the back of Tony Kahn having hurt feelings over the Ariel Helwani interview with Punk, and all Edge did was confirm what he said about them only caring about "dream matches" that Meltzer will give a bunch of stars to, and listing Mercedes, Okada and Ospreay going there as examples of how great the place is doesn't hold up as it's well established the latter 2 went there for an easy schedule where they can go home to another country on a regular basis.

Jack Perry is clearly at least imo an entitled prick with a famous father who likely got away with everything his whole life and never suffered any consequences. When you poke a bear you can't get mad when it shows you it's claws. Punk pushing him and choking him for a few seconds was karma coming back around. This is how I see it.

As for Punk he's probably even more over now, and Drew will have more to work with, and give us glorious social media content and promos.

Failure on AEW part and a win for WWE.

As for Osprey I'd love to see Triple H cook him on the mic, but the truth is in the eyes of the WWE he's more than likely not even worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"