Age of Ultron Aaron Johnson is Quicksilver - Part 2

It's interesting that people constantly whine about "there being no stakes" in Marvel films, or characters never "staying dead." And then when they DO do it, then people complain about that. Yet again, fans will complain no matter what a filmmaker does, so it's probably best for them to do what THEY think is best, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for his death being "pointless," so what? Guess what, in battle, in war, death is often sudden, unexpected, and yes even "pointless." "Chaos of war" and all that stuff. I was fine with it.

I agree, and I do like AOU QS more than DOFP QS...
But I think the disparity between the two QS is too great, and watching AOU QS got all tired and out of breathe while DOFP QS can put on a headphone while touching speeding bullets with his bare hand does rub me the wrong way. I just can't really accept the death of QS because I think it was unnecessary and handled poorly by Whedon. It is also my biggest problem with an otherwise fine movie.

I loved how he got worn out so easily. To me, it was kind of like Wanda's breakdown with Clint. It shows that these two are not "professional" heroes. Like yeah he's got these superpowers that make him fast but he hasn't been running around doing battle his whole life, he's really never done it at all. It was a nice moment.

For me:
Unpopular opinion: I thought his death was a good way to transition Wanda into the clan. I enjoyed her break out suddenly from her insecurities. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have a problem with it. But it was still sad for a great character and actor. At least they did more with his arc as opposed to how they did the shortest intro/Easter egg in XMDOFP. Though I liked that one I was still on the fence of how short his duration was. Evan made the most of it.

I hope to god marvel doesn't bring back any dead characters going further just leave them dead, it takes away from the impact of their death in the first place. there also needs to be death to add to the stakes. then to appease everyone have a complete universe reboot by having everyone revived at the end of infinity war part 2 using the gauntlet, then they could show the rebooted characters and new actors.

What impact? The biggest impact from QS' death among fans seems to be annoyance. I haven't seen anybody who said that because he was killed they felt the fight suddenly had real weight and consequences. Nothing would have changed if he hadn't died, in fact Whedon was prepared for him to not die. If his death was so superfluous that it didn't much matter to the story whether it was in or out, he should have left it out. Now they either have to bend things around to put him back in, or leave him dead and anger some fans who are already pretty sore about other things in the film.

And as others have said, the other Avengers (besides Clint and Wanda) barely reacted, probably because they didn't really know him. "Who died? Oh, that white-haired guy. Gee, that's too bad. Anybody seen Bruce?"

I agree. They didn't even show SW showing remorse afterward at the death of her brother, merely her outburst when she felt his death when it happened. QS's death seems more like an afterthought than a demonstration of the horrors of war.
Exactly that was really my only big complaint with the movie too.

I loved how he got worn out so easily. To me, it was kind of like Wanda's breakdown with Clint. It shows that these two are not "professional" heroes. Like yeah he's got these superpowers that make him fast but he hasn't been running around doing battle his whole life, he's really never done it at all. It was a nice moment.

I can SW's shock after she was exposed to the battlefield, because she wasn't trained as a professional soldier. However, her powers weren't affected by her inexperience, and in fact she was one of the best when compared with other seasoned Avengers. QS, on the other hand, suffered no mental breakdown but he was exhausted because his powers weren't good enough due to lack of training? I found it hard to believe. It seems like it was tacked into the movie as a way to explain his death by speeding bullets, since he wasn't shown exactly how he died.

For me:
Unpopular opinion: I thought his death was a good way to transition Wanda into the clan. I enjoyed her break out suddenly from her insecurities. I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have a problem with it. But it was still sad for a great character and actor. At least they did more with his arc as opposed to how they did the shortest intro/Easter egg in XMDOFP. Though I liked that one I was still on the fence of how short his duration was. Evan made the most of it.
see now for me, this was probably my biggest issue with it, as it felt like (much like Coulson's death) it was just a way to inspire/motivate Wanda... an I just hope that doesn't become a trend in the movies, that every new character that is introduced to the team, has to have the death of someone to motivate them... I know their called the "Avengers", but that doesn't mean they always have to be avenging someones death

Outside of Wanda screaming for 10 secs, there was no emotional impact of his death on the team what so ever. In fact, a minute later they started making jokes again. :whatever: Whole purpose of a hero dying is to bring out the emotions of the other characters...but we really didn't get any of that. Kind of makes his death pointless to begin with, really.

I know he got shot up several times, but do you guys think they left it purposely ambiguous as to if he's really dead? No funeral scene...no one mentions him after the fact...

It's funny that Joss said that QS and SW were his favorite characters yet he was so willing to [BLACKOUT]just kill one of them off[/BLACKOUT]. I still think that he likes Scarlet Witch more than Quicksilver, and did what he did to keep her around more.

Outside of Wanda screaming for 10 secs, there was no emotional impact of his death on the team what so ever. In fact, a minute later they started making jokes again. :whatever: Whole purpose of a hero dying is to bring out the emotions of the other characters...but we really didn't get any of that. Kind of makes his death pointless to begin with, really.

I know he got shot up several times, but do you guys think they left it purposely ambiguous as to if he's really dead? No funeral scene...no one mentions him after the fact...

I get the feeling that letting Whedon kill him off was a last minute decision, so Whedon just wrote the final act so he could literally just insert either scene without changing the rest of the ending.

I agree-they had to leave it open so that Whedon could let him survive if Marvel refused to allow him to die. They might have a funeral or headstone in the opening of CW...

It's interesting that people constantly whine about "there being no stakes" in Marvel films, or characters never "staying dead." And then when they DO do it, then people complain about that. Yet again, fans will complain no matter what a filmmaker does, so it's probably best for them to do what THEY think is best, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for his death being "pointless," so what? Guess what, in battle, in war, death is often sudden, unexpected, and yes even "pointless." "Chaos of war" and all that stuff. I was fine with it.

Not when they kill someone with decades of history and the potential of using the character for more development.

They should have killed people that are less impactful like Selvig or Cho.

Coulson should have stayed dead.

Marvel dug themselves a hole and they used QS to try to get out of that hole.

Poor scapegoat.

Okay I know I'm late but Avengers: Age of Ultron released May 12th in China. I just saw the movie yesterday and...have many complex views...and don't know where to start...

but Quicksilver...

One word: WHY!?

Does he die in the comics???? Was it necessary? So every film Joss does, he'll probably kill off another character, but this time a superhero.

I think it's so lame that people write these death scenes in their movies. It doesn't work! Every character they killed off in X-Men: The Last Stand was the WORST part of the movie, and that's why the movie ultimately failed.

It's as if in today's business, it's as if the filmmakers think that movie won't be taken seriously enough unless they kill some major character off. This started with Brett Ratner. Then Sam Rami followed by killing off Harry Osborn. The villains already served their purpose. I didn't mind them dying. Joker died in the first Batman movie. But important characters that serve a role in comics, like Harry Osborn, Cyclops, Prof. X (at the time), killing them off is an idiotic move for a superhero movie.

Okay, I know Gwen Stacey died in the comics, but she has more or less been present in the Spider-Man comics. That didn't completely work in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 either. I know it changed Peter but it's not like people took that death seriously enough as if it were real.

I'm not counting Ben Parker, Thomas and Martha Wayne, and Jonathan Kent's deaths, those deaths were necessary for the superhero origins.

For me, Quicksilver's death ruined the movie. It almost ruined the movie, well at least aspects of the movie. For one, there was no purpose of using the character if Whedon was going to kill him off. This was his debut as an Avengers character, but Whedon ****ing killed him off. This really pissed me off. I was hoping much like Nick Fury's fake death that the same would happen to Quicksilver.

The difference I found with Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: The Winter Soldier is that the reason I thought Captain America: The Winter Soldier was so successful was 1, they didn't force any romance or love plots in the movie, and 2, no major comic book character (Nick Fury) was killed off for the sake of drama. I think that's one of the reasons Cap 2 was so good.

Cap 2 was one of the first movies I've seen in a long time that ignored cliche moments that most people would expect to see in a movie like love, and I suppose death. The problem with love in movies sometimes is that it's not believable. Not that I don't like love scenes for some movies, but depending on what type of movie it is, if love is not the center of the story, and it shouldn't be, then the writers shouldn't force it into the story, otherwise it will just be ridiculous. It's not real. After so many times, I find that extremely irritating when it's forced. The thing is I almost thought Cap and Black Widow were going to fall in love. It's not like they ever had a thing for each other. Cap 2 was the first Marvel movie to be the closet thing to real life in my opinion. It didn't foce anything that would seem ridiculous for the sake of what the filmmakers think the audience would want.

I liked the love story in the first Captain America movie, which worked. Iron Man and Thor as well. Didn't especially work in The Wolverine, regardless, it was still a good movie.

As for killing off characters in movie series, it was so dumb in Spider-Man. Ultimately, what I'm saying is the death scenes can't be taken seriously in these kind of movies. What's more disturbing about it is that you can now expect this to happen in every sequel, that's when it loses all it's realism.

Did Quicksilver's death have any meaning in the movie? No, it was just for the sake of drama. This happened before in the first Avengers movie with Coulson's death, and that's what made it more ridiculous in Age of Ultron.

See, I'm expecting to go to the cinema excited when watching, it's a superhero movie, and it's supposed to be fun and have a great ending, but by killing Quicksilver off and making it depressing, that really ruined all meaning of this movie. First I was able to take the movie seriously, but then that forced unrealistic moment for the sake of drama scene of Quicksilver's death happened, and then I was very disapointed. IT. WAS. RIDICULOUS.

I hope to god marvel doesn't bring back any dead characters going further just leave them dead, it takes away from the impact of their death in the first place. there also needs to be death to add to the stakes. then to appease everyone have a complete universe reboot by having everyone revived at the end of infinity war part 2 using the gauntlet, then they could show the rebooted characters and new actors.

These are lead characters in a movie franchise, the "impact of them dying" is less important then the bottom line when it comes to marketing these characters.

And let's be honest, in order for deaths in these franchises to have a true "impact", they would have to PERMANENTLY kill off and keep dead a major and popular lead character. Which, of course, they will not do since the major characters are their big money makers,very popular,and a recognized well known brand.

See for me
Though I didn't like him getting killed (and as I've said part of me hopes they'll find a way/reason to bring him back), I didn't mind that he was able to get hit. DOFP's being able to move fast enough that bullets were moving at a snail's pace/almost imperceptibly allowing him to move them, just seemed way too overpowered. IMO, AOU's QS not being *that* fast, helped ground him a bit more in reality, made him a more believable character in my eyes. It made him flawed (and a character should have flaws)

Just my opinion, of course - if it makes sense

Quoted because I agree with every single thing that you said.

What impact? The biggest impact from QS' death among fans seems to be annoyance. I haven't seen anybody who said that because he was killed they felt the fight suddenly had real weight and consequences. Nothing would have changed if he hadn't died, in fact Whedon was prepared for him to not die. If his death was so superfluous that it didn't much matter to the story whether it was in or out, he should have left it out. Now they either have to bend things around to put him back in, or leave him dead and anger some fans who are already pretty sore about other things in the film.

And as others have said, the other Avengers (besides Clint and Wanda) barely reacted, probably because they didn't really know him. "Who died? Oh, that white-haired guy. Gee, that's too bad. Anybody seen Bruce?"

Quoted for the truth. IMO, they could have had more of an impact if they had shown a few of the Avengers being badly hurt rather then killing any of them off.

Not when they kill someone with decades of history and the potential of using the character for more development.

Poor scapegoat.

Quoted for the truth and because I agree with your opinion. Hell, I think that they should have kept Bucky dead in both the movies and the comics.

I heard they made a sweet costume for Quicksilver according to AJ. Now it may sound silly but...
I can take that they killed Quicksilver, but I feel if you are going to kill a hero, especially a character that has rich comic history, let him be dressed in his best outfit/uniform. Yeah, it may sound silly, but I feel Quicksilver should have been wearing his "official' costume before they kill him off. AJ thought it was a sweet outfit, and so at least for him, let him wear it and go out styling. Again, I admit it does sound like a silly nit-pick.

Poor scapegoat.

Cho dying would've made more sense. Especially since early on I felt she was the most likely to get killed rather just injured

I don't think he's gone.

I mean, Hawkeye was joking with him there at the end.

(Shakes head)

I'm really hoping we get to see the alternate ending where QS wakes up and survives, and at least a still of his last scene costume.

I liked him more than I thought I would. Hopefully we see him again.

Loved Quicksilver - ATJ was great. Piss poor decisionmaking by Whedon though :down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"