Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S02E10 "What they become""

I agree with others here. Raina is Raina from the comics, with a different origin.

Probably when there's a more equal representation on TV. According to the annual Hollywood diversity report, minorities only make up 5% of the lead roles in broadcast television, and women only 24%, making the rest white males even though they represent less than half the population. So...I'm guessing not for a while, lol.

Exactly

Speculation on Raina is fun, so here's mine. :oldrazz:

Raina is that type of woman who uses her looks & guile to get what she wants. If nothing else, she is pure ambition & will use anyone or anything to advance her own agenda. Now she appears to have been transformed into some type of beast. I'm sure she will be fearsome but she is also very vain. So she will have a HUGE chip on her shoulder because of how she looks but at the same time be able to directly force people (read men in power) to do what she wants. A little Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, if you will. I predict that she will want to settle old scores and also belittle/crush as many people in her past as she can. Vengeance will be her main motive.

I always got a neutral chaotic vibe from her. Going forward it will be interesting to see if she goes all "Dark Side" on us.

MAKE MINE MARVEL!

The episode was excellent, but Whitehall 's death was very disappointing. How can you survive World War II and become a general if you're too stupid to watch you back?

According to the show-runner
"Well, Raina has always been someone who walks into a room and knows she has all the power, and the ability to sway anything in her way. Part of that is her appearance. She’s always adorned herself in flower dresses, she’s always perfectly put together, and she’s a beautiful woman. Now we’ll see how this transformation affects her."

I think she will resent her new look as its rather "inhuman". She's always turned heads but now shes rather scary.

Oh yeah, Raina will definitely hate her looks. She spent her life trying to fulfill her destiny, and then will hate what it turns her into. It makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrigen_Mist

Uses

Use by non-Inhumans

Since the introduction of the Terrigen Mists, the inhabitants of the Marvel Comics universe have believed that Terrigen Mists were toxic for regular Homo sapiens. When the depowered mutant Quicksilver subjected himself to the Mist, he gained the ability to travel through time as an acute enhancement to his former super-speed. Luna, Quicksilver's half-human half-inhuman daughter, gains psychic abilities from the Mists allowing her to see emotional auras emanating from individuals.
It is also shown in this series that depowered mutants, if exposed to the Terrigen Mists, gain an uncontrollable version of their former powers. For example, the Mists restore the hyperacute senses of Callisto, but all the amplified stimuli cause her to fall into a coma. However, the effect is only temporary as powers fade after a short while. As shown with Quicksilver, the bodies of those exposed to the mists for extensive periods begin to produce their own Terrigen Crystals with the same mutagenic effects. At the end of the Son of M series, the U.S. government confiscates the Terrigen Crystals dropped by Quicksilver, which leads Black Bolt to declare war on the United States.

Last edited:
The episode was excellent, but Whitehall 's death was very disappointing. How can you survive World War II and become a general if you're too stupid to watch you back?

He's probably not dead.

Oh a few of them were warranted. It felt forced. However from what little I've seen of this season she's been written better.

she was written fine in the beginning. people just like to complain

He's probably not dead.

Nah, I think he's dead DEAD. His quest for power had to end at some point, and it's very clear the quest for the alien city is done as it fulfilled its intended purpose: get Skye, er, DAISY and Raina to mutate into their inhuman selves. He served his purpose, and I expect a new villain will arise to challenge the team for the next half of the season.

This episode... holy ****. It was SO good!
I really hope new viewers take notice of this amazing show, so that ratings climb. I want to have this for 6+ seasons.

About the Mutant = Inhuman in the MCU discussion. Let me play devil's advocate and point out that we may be jumping to conclusions. Yes, Skye/Daisy/Quake is a mutant in the comics and that's been changed to her being an Inhuman, but that doesn't mean the same will be done to all mutant characters.
By the same logic when FOX made Viper a mutant they should have also made Moira a mutant (yes, I know comparing FOX to Marvel is worse than comparing apples to oranges, but remember, I'm playing Devil's advocate).
We do have an example in the MCU that gives us pause: Scorch
His background story was very much a mutant analogue, and definitely not Inhuman. Scorch didn't know where his powers came from, they manifested all of a sudden in a mundane everyday situation. If the change had been triggered by exposure to a gas coming from alien crystals, that's something he would have recalled. So we do have the precedent of humans developing powers from something else other than exposure to alien tech or alien substances.
Who's to say Wanda and Pietro won't be like Scorch?
Do we really need an explanation for mutants other than calling them "miracles"?

Probably when there's a more equal representation on TV. According to the annual Hollywood diversity report, minorities only make up 5% of the lead roles in broadcast television, and women only 24%, making the rest white males even though they represent less than half the population. So...I'm guessing not for a while, lol.

The criticism is certainly warranted, but not really applicable to this show. There was only one caucasian remaining of the five characters left in the temple, and none in the chamber.

You don't KNOW Whitehall's dead. What ever he took from Skye's mom that's making him young and healthy might heal him.

I wish Whitehall was alive. I think it'd have been cool to see him go full Kraken (though I can see where they may have figured it'd be too similar to what Garrett did), but I want dead to mean dead. He's dead, and I'm already over the fact that I would have preferred something else. It isn't worth devaluing the concept of death by bringing him back just to give me a geek out moment.

I wish Whitehall was alive. I think it'd have been cool to see him go full Kraken (though I can see where they may have figured it'd be too similar to what Garrett did), but I want dead to mean dead. He's dead, and I'm already over the fact that I would have preferred something else. It isn't worth devaluing the concept of death by bringing him back just to give me a geek out moment.
he should have been dead like 10 years ago at the least.
Red Skull has come back MANY MANY times, as well as Baron Zemo and Zola. Those who are truly evil find ways to return.

Red Skull has come back MANY MANY times, as well as Baron Zemo and Zola. Those who are truly evil find ways to return.

Whitehall was just a plot device to introduce Inhumans and keep Hydra relevant in the show.

Whitehall was just a plot device to introduce Inhumans and keep Hydra relevant in the show.
Well more than likely we'll see him in Agent Carter too, so he'll be more than a plot device for just Inhumans lol

So just watched it in a rush which is never a good idea, so need to watch it again later!

Great episode, so many plot lines resolved, such a powerfully emotional episode, but did anyone else get a feeling of it being a tad underwhelming? Not so much the execution, but the reveal itself? I mean, we all guessed this, and it just sort of played out blow by blow...

Then there's Tripp's somewhat pointless death (why he even went in there is a mystery) and Whitehall being unceremoniously capped wasted a great character...

Still, I'm excited to see more from the Inhumans. I have no idea about anything Inhuman, so a big learning exercise ahead. Guess that's why it is hard to be excited - I have no idea what's coming!

Red Skull has never come back, and Zemo has yet to debut.

FINALLY finished reading through all these posts (I went offline last night before the ep started and didn't check it again before I went to bed - you guys have been BUSY!! :funny:)

Awesome episode, as always. So sad about Tripp though :csad: I actually liked him. I'm glad that most here seem to be as bummed as me (I know on at least one other message board I go to, there's at least one person I'm guessing is gloating because they've hated his guts since he first appeared on the show.... yeah, I know, I don't get it either).

On my read through of the posts I multi-quoted a bunch, so if some of these have already been addressed, my apologies (I hate playing catch-up :oldrazz:)

Has the Ward redemption ship sailed?
Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. My view: Never say never.
It REALLY suck that he caused his own death for no reason, I know that he didn't know what was happening but he didn't have to destroy the crystals :(
As sad as I am about his fate, to me it makes sense that he did destroy the crystals though. I mean, put yourself in his shoes. One of your team-members/friends is being 'cocooned' in who knows what as a result of being hit by a mist from the crystals. Would you really just stand there and just let it happen/not try to stop it? We have the hindsight of knowing that Skye is (relatively speaking) fine and that she wasn't hurt from it. He doesn't have that knowledge though, he's going to try and stop whatever's happening to her.

I think her powers triggered as a self defense mechanism while she was encased in that cocoon, and Tripp was just an inadvertent casualty. Mind you, I think he was dead anyway, but I doubt that would make Skye feel any better about it.

In the comics, Nick Fury worked with Daisy to help her gain better control over her powers so that kind of thing wouldn't happen.
Unfortunately no. He kicks the crystal destroying it and sending shards flying. It wasn't Skye's power that did it.
If Tripp had just coincidentally also have been an Inhuman that would have been a crazy coincidence.

Oh...and why did Mack stop protecting the area? There were still people there invading the temple. I'm still curious to see if he retains his super powers and becomes Earth Sentry or if he just goes back to being Mack.
He 'stopped' (appeared to become 'unpossessed') when the Obelisk/Crystal mist 'activated'. Perhaps the sentry is only needed while the un-exposed/non-powered inhumans are making the way to the temple. Once they've been 'changed' and their powers activated, then they have the power to protect the temple. (just my theory though).

Amazing episode! Loved that Skye found out her true identity and gained her Inhuman powers.

Really great all-around, with the exception of the death of Trip. I really liked his character and although he was only guest-starring on the series, I had hoped he would stick around.

Wasn't there some report or rumor that he was spotted on the set of Age of Ultron? Maybe I'm mis-remembering things...
As others said, it was a rumor that was never confirmed (and many speculated that the fan who said it was him made a mistake due to the distance and was seeing someone like Anthony Mackie (or perhaps Chadwick Boseman)

yeah! i understand that 1 outta the 3 had to die but i liked Tripp and Raina has always sucked to me! plus he was an offspring of a original howling commando! that should have counted for something! i understand but it still sucked! Mac is a zombie and they whacked tripp! oh well! maybe Deathlok will come back!
I'm bummed too (as I've said). It doesn't appear Mac is a zombie anymore, though, he seemed to 'come out of it' when the Mist activated.

In regards to the Tripp thing, it doesn't help matters that they picked THE MOST obvious character to kill off. The guy who everyone kind of suspected might bite it, is the one that they killed off. So there was no surprise there. And as others have mentioned, they had already used the "black guy might die first" as the emotional hook several times in recent episodes (with both Tripp and Mack).

It's actually something that I keep noticing. As much as I'm enjoying the show and think that it's improved DRAMATICALLY ever since the Lorelei episode, the show does tend to take the most obvious/predictable route a lot. You have a mystery, and they're teasing that it's going to go this way. Then people come up with possible, usually more creative/interesting, alternatives. Then we get the reveal and, it's exactly what it appeared to be (aka one of the least interesting options). It hardly kills the show, but it's something that I hope that they work on/correct in future seasons.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that Daisy is NOT a Mutant in the comics since her powers don't come from the X-Gene.

I can't get over Tripp dying... It's actually put such a downer on AoS for me :(

Kinda curious where we go from here. The Inhumans mystery is resolved in some aspects, and HYDRA are now leaderless. What's the on-going plot thread? This felt a lot like a season finale rather than a mid-season one

Oh and I'm pretty sure that Daisy is NOT a Mutant in the comics since her powers don't come from the X-Gene.

According to the Marvel wiki, she was thought of to be a mutant, but then that was disproven, a move that was probably done to remove her as a potential character for Fox to use in their X-Men universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"