Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD - S02E11 - "Aftershocks"

But his main power is bringing into existence what he reads... hence the name. That ability hasn't even been hinted at, let alone shown. Also, he was intentionally blinded by other Inhumans because of his reading powers, it didn't occur naturally as a result of terrigenesis like Gordon in AoS. I don't think he's the Reader. He's probably an original character.
He had a book in the episode of the episode 10, I think.

And the scene when he is young with the cover on him look a lot lot like this:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...an)_(Earth-616)_from_Inhuman_Vol_1_4_0001.jpg

I can see them changing the intentional blinding thing to make Terrigenisis more significant and playing up his teleportation powers. But, I will agree that, if we never see his "reading" ability at all, then there's good reason to be skeptical. He is filling a similar role, though, which tells me he's mirrored after the comics character. To what extent, we'll have to figure out.

He's very, very, very probably Reader. It doesn't matter if his story is exactly the same.
WHY? It doesn't make a shred of sense. He has nothing in common with the reader other than being inhuman and blind. And he's not simply blind, he literally has no eyeballs, eye sockets or eye anything. The whole point of the reader is that his inhuman ability is bringing the words that he sees to life and he was blinded because he was thought to be too powerful with eyesight (although he can still read through braille), but Gordon never had powers while he still had eyes, terrigenesis caused him to lose his eyes and gain teleporting (and force field apparently) powers. I'm failing to see where the reading part comes in to play. I guess they could just make it so that he randomly stumbles across his ability to bring things to life through reading braille, but how would he even know that he brought something into existence if he can't see? If Gordon is the Reader then this is a really cheap adaptation. However, he is seen putting down a book at the end of 2.10, don't know why a blind man would have a book unless it's a book of braille, but even if that's the case, the reader reading a BOOK would cause massive chaos. So many words. I'm sticking to my guns. I think he's either and original character, or someone that's not the reader.

Last edited:
Do we really have all the information on this Gordon cat? He was in two short scenes.

WHY? It doesn't make a shred of sense. He has nothing in common with the reader other than being inhuman and blind. And he's not simply blind, he literally has no eyeballs, eye sockets or eye anything. The whole point of the reader is that his inhuman ability is bringing the words that he sees to life and he was blinded because he was thought to be too powerful with eyesight (although he can still read through braille), but Gordon never had powers while he still had eyes, terrigenesis caused him to lose his eyes and gain teleporting (and force field apparently) powers. I'm failing to see where the reading part comes in to play. I guess they could just make it so that he randomly stumbles across his ability to bring things to life through reading braille, but how would he even know that he brought something into existence if he can't see? If Gordon is the Reader then this is a really cheap adaptation. However, he is seen putting down a book at the end of 2.10, don't know why a blind man would have a book unless it's a book of braille, but even if that's the case, the reader reading a BOOK would cause massive chaos. So many words. I'm sticking to my guns. I think he's either and original character, or someone that's not the reader.
I agree that maybe he isn't him.
But other than being Inhuman and blind, and the teleportation power there's also his role for now who look similar to Reader.
And Reader can speak mandarin, and Gordon was shown in this asian base with Skye's mother.

And this scene:
http://hpics.li/b65853b
Make me think to this:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...an)_(Earth-616)_from_Inhuman_Vol_1_4_0001.jpg

I saw the Reader in the library and in a bookshop.

So the similarities are... they are both inhuman and they're both female? That's not really much to go on. What makes it more likely for het to be Naja than
-Ultimate Medusa?
-Ultimate Gorgon?
-Elejea?
-Tonaja?
-Margoyle?
-Chynae?
-Desidera?
-Avia?
-Fulmina?
-Quickfire?
-Doris?
-Fiona?
-Iron Cross?
-Sheath?
-Auran?
-any other female inhuman that went through physical change?

Well I'm not familiar with any of those as well and when I said a massive physical change I specifically was meaning the outwardly physical appearance. Also a point I made was that Naja is a very new character. I don't know if those others are as new as her. In X-Men terms Raina is kind of like a Morlock now.

My guess is that Gordon is also an amalgam of two or more characters in the comics as well. The Reader is probably just one part of that.

Well I'm not familiar with any of those as well and when I said a massive physical change I specifically was meaning the outwardly physical appearance. Also a point I made was that Naja is a very new character. I don't know if those others are as new as her. In X-Men terms Raina is kind of like a Morlock now.

All of the characters I mentioned have had an obvious change in outwardly appearance. A lot of them look nothing like Raina, but then again, neither does Naja look like Raina in any way at all.

Like I said the only inhuman I know that is in any way similar to Raina would be Elejea.
128096-160781-elejea.jpg
But I think even that's a stretch. For now I think it's most likely she's an original character.

This show is AMAZING. The writers are doing such a fantastic job. They took a character like Simmons who was so innocent and charming and actually made me AFRAID of her. She's getting scary!!

Oh and the teleporting effect was so well done. Like, movie quality good.

For all we know he did visit their families as well. I don't need to see all the minutia connected to this to accept it.

In this case its more than just a personal relationship. Coulson is the leader of this military-like organization and it is a very small group at this point too.

It doesn't really speak highly of him that he shows this kind of personal bias to the people who gave their lives under his command.

I know its just a TV show and I'm overthinking it but I wish they would handle these types of things better.
Again, an episode is only 45min (or so) long... we're not going to get to see every single little detail that happens every minute of the time frame the show encompasses (otherwise, for some episodes, we'd be watching for days). If given a choice between the episode showing us that he returns Trip's personal effects to his mother, or making notifications to the families of agents that (to us as an audience) were extras/weren't part of the core team, I have no problem with them choosing to show us Trip's mother because we as an audience knew Trip.

There's been nothing in Coulson's personality that we've seen across the films and the show to suggest he's a callous type of man who *wouldn't* make that type of notification to all the families, so like kedrell said, I don't think it's a far fetched assumption to make that it happened off screen.

....I keep reading this (no pun intended), but I honestly can't remember this ever being mentioned. I own all the issues that he appears in, I went through them, but I can't find it. Where did it come from?

I haven't read those comics, but on the Marvel wikia, they confirm it:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Reader_(Inhuman)_(Earth-616)

The Reader has the ability to make anything he reads become real. The Inhumans were worried that he is too powerful and so they blinded him. He primarily travels the world to find more Inhumans.

Wondering exactly what "powers" Raina may posses. Sure she's covered with thorns, and her nails are lethal, but that's just the physical nature of being thorny. Heck she even cuts herself when she moves, her words, ouch talk about chafing.

Yes, I know. I had the feeling most people mentioning this didn't actually read Inhuman and just got it from the wiki. But like I said, I can't remember or find this statement anywhere in the comics.
Do you have Inhuman 4?

He's blind, teleports and travels around finding new Inhumans. How is he not Gordon? Because he doesn't read stuff? His name is now ironic. Boom! Done. Next.

Why did you intentionally leave out the fact that Reader teleports and this guy with no eyes teleports???

Also, you forgot the general fact that Reader grabs new Inhumans and takes them to a place, and this guy grabs new Inhumans and takes them to a place.

Oh wait...some details of his origin are different...and that means NOTHING. Details of Daisy Johnson's origin were radically changed...and she's still Daisy Johnson. Details of ALL of the characters have been changed. The movies have never felt the need to be slaves to the comic stories.

They haven't shown if Gordon has other abilities. He was in like a minute of tv time, and it was VITAL that they get across that he is a teleporter who was trained to use his powers. Any other powers he may have are not yet important enough to tell. You expect them to reveal his entire story in one episode??? Calvin has not transformed into a massive beast, but he IS Mr Hyde...maybe he WILL transform at some later date...and even if he doesn't he's still Hyde.

I've not said that he is DEFINITELY Reader...just that he is probably Reader. I'm really baffled as to why people are so obsessed with making things more complicated than they need to be. Mike Peterson IS Deathlok, even though his name "should" be Mike Collins. There's no need to over complicate things by demanding that every detail be the same as the comics.

I was finally able to watch this episode last night. The episode was a little heavy handed with Sky and the flashback of her mom from the past, but I liked the everything else, especially the stuff with Fitz. I'm still wondering just who Bobbi is working for (I'm leaning towards Stark leading to something with Ultron or the CIA for needing the toolbox to launch SWORD). Their objective is finally clear, but who their employer plays out to be will be interesting.

I LOL'ed hard with Coulson yelling "They'll never take us alive!" Seemed like such a dead giveaway that it was staged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"