Supergirl All About The Ratings!!!!!! - Part 1

Eh, I think you'll have a hard time splitting SG, Arrow and LoT?

Frankly I'd be a little surprised if LoT was to beat SG over the year.

I think it's likely Lucifer is a worse opponent for SG than Gotham is. Lucy and SG seems to have more of an overlap. It's nothing major, though.

They both still generally skew male, but they're much closer to 50/50 in the male to female ratio than stuff like Flash, Legends, Arrow, Gotham, SHIELD, etc.

Also, in many markets (like here in Denver) Supergirl is actually head to head with The Gifted.

Eh, I think you'll have a hard time splitting SG, Arrow and LoT?

Frankly I'd be a little surprised if LoT was to beat SG over the year.

Arrow is on a new night and a later timeslot, so anything is possible.

Legends will likely beat Supegirl for two reasons:
1. Legends has The Flash lead-in
2. Legends has 18 episodes versus 22 for Supergirl, so Supergirl will air later into the spring when viewership levels are lower overall

Unless Dynasty is a hit, it looks like the general lay of the land at CW this year will be

Flash

Arrow, Supergirl, Supernatural, and Legends of Tomorrow in whatever order

Everything else

Crazy ex-Girlfriend

No idea what to expect out of Black Lightning. Hopefully expectations are in line with what we're getting with Arrow and Supergirl, because I don't see it being much higher.

Right, forgot.

Anyway Gifted really doesn't pull many more people than Lucy and it's got a slightly more male skew. Audience overlap? I could see more with Lucy still... Lucy is a comedy. Gifted is a show with zero humor.

They both still generally skew male, but they're much closer to 50/50 in the male to female ratio than stuff like Flash, Legends, Arrow, Gotham, SHIELD, etc.

Also, in many markets (like here in Denver) Supergirl is actually head to head with The Gifted.

Arrow is on a new night and a later timeslot, so anything is possible.

Legends will likely beat Supegirl for two reasons:
2. Legends has 18 episodes versus 22 for Supergirl, so Supergirl will air later into the spring when viewership levels are lower overall

Unless Dynasty is a hit, it looks like the general lay of the land at CW this year will be

Flash

Arrow, Supergirl, Supernatural, and Legends of Tomorrow in whatever order

Everything else

Crazy ex-Girlfriend

No idea what to expect out of Black Lightning. Hopefully expectations are in line with what we're getting with Arrow and Supergirl, because I don't see it being much higher.

Yep....

The show's low ratings are justified. I think that finale with Superman last season rubbed many DC fans the wrong way. It's crazy that Supergirl went from a CBS primetime series to the lowest rated superhero show on The CW, or maybe not so crazy.

It is also a female superhero show so that already has it working against it to a male audience.

Well it alienates the male audience by making the male characters totally wimps, with the agenda to elevate the women.

That's one thing Wonder Woman avoided. It managed to make Chris Pine as heroic and alpha in WW. They didn't need to drag him down to elevate her.

Well it alienates the male audience by making the male characters totally wimps, with the agenda to elevate the women.

That's one thing Wonder Woman avoided. It managed to make Chris Pine as heroic and alpha in WW. They didn't need to drag him down to elevate her.

I don't understand this writing at all, and I am a woman. And a lot of the fandom supports this. They hate the male characters getting to do anything, then turn around and call them useless when they do nothing. :loco: Or the male character opposing Kara or having independent thought makes him an abuser. I actually saw comments that Mon-El abused Kara in her dream when he told her to wake up. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't the goal be to have both strong male and female characters?

As for this being the lowest rated Superhero show, it's only been one episode and Monday's competition was especially tough. Let's see how it does for the rest of the season. I wonder how The Flash would do if it faced the competition Supergirl does.

To see that 40% loss between Supergirl's 2nd and 3rd season premieres is very disturbing.

To see that 40% loss between Supergirl's 2nd and 3rd season premieres is very disturbing.

I don't think so as Season 2's premiere was very heavily promoted like a new show and featured Superman's first appearance. Season 3 didn't have nearly as much promotion and I think a better comparison would be the finale or even the season's average.

There's no way this could have premiered at a 1.1 like last year. Even the next episode went down to 0.9.

0.5 is certainly low but I think a good rating for this show is closer to 0.7. 1.1 is unrealistic outside of a crossover.

Actually I didn't expect a 1.1 for the 3rd season premiere, but somewhere between 0.8-0.9.

I had a similar thought about the 3rd season premiere not being promoted well compared to last year.

As I said in this thread several months ago, this season premiere wouldn't stand a chance at coming close to last year's premiere. It wasn't just the extra promotion, or the Superman factor, it was also the "network move" factor - people were curious what this show would look like on The CW vs. CBS. It had ALL those things going for it that this premiere would not. I agree with Nia that the best rating we could hope for with this show now is about a 0.7. It would be stellar if it could hit that again outside of crossovers. Otherwise, I think 0.5-0.6 is where it will live.

If it performs like normal shows given the premiere and last season's ratings it should stabilize at around 0.4.

Wow, Riverdale out of nowhere with a 0.8 preliminary rating last night. That's 3 tenths higher than the series premiere and series high number.

That has to be a Netflix bump. No other way to explain it, because this show was popping 0.3s last year.

But even with the huge premiere it only dragged the Dynasty premiere to a 0.4. That's a CBS show so it may be good enough, but probably less than what they wanted.

Greg Berlanti just keeps winning. He has CW by the balls with Flash, Riverdale, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, the upcoming Sabrina reboot, and the CW Seed animated trio of The Ray, Vixen, and Constantine.

Riverdale was very aggressive with promotions this year. Had them on the Tonight show a few nights ago.

Riverdale held its 0.8, Dynasty adjusted down to 0.3

CW standings so far
The Flash: 1.1
Riverdale: 0.8
Legends of Tomorrow: 0.6
Supergirl: 0.5
Dynasty: 0.3
Valor: 0.3

Both the new shows tanked entirely, and the Friday night lineup is Jane/Crazy Ex so really, the only thing left to see is how Supernatural and Arrow return.

I am surprised that Riverdale did as good as it did even with the promotion. Hopefully Supergirl will recover a little after the crossover.

I am surprised that Riverdale did as good as it did even with the promotion. Hopefully Supergirl will recover a little after the crossover.

The problem with the crossover is that it has very little to do with Supergirl and has very few SG characters. You'd think they would use the opportunity to also promote the costumed heroes like Martian Manhunter, introduce the LoSH to the wider audience and all of that. However, it has almost all of the Arrow and Legends cast. The Flash cast makes sense but I hear Wally barely has scenes in it.

Dynasty is dead as a duck.

I don't know....it got the same ratings as "Riverdale" was getting last season, and "Riverdale" came out with a bang this season....

Honestly we have no clue how they are looking at ratings these days. Netflix (and the fact that Dynasty is on Netflix right now, just not in the US)....etc...tells a far better picture of what is going on....the same thing was happening with "Riverdale" last season.

I hope Supergirl can regain its place as the 2nd highest rated show next week.

Well, I'm happy for LoT, I'm glad that it is reaping the positive vibes from Flash....though I would much rather have a Flash/Supergirl night, I'm happy for the LoT fans...

The problem with the crossover is that it has very little to do with Supergirl and has very few SG characters. You'd think they would use the opportunity to also promote the costumed heroes like Martian Manhunter, introduce the LoSH to the wider audience and all of that. However, it has almost all of the Arrow and Legends cast. The Flash cast makes sense but I hear Wally barely has scenes in it.

Basically the same problems as last year's crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"