Supergirl All About The Ratings!!!!!! - Part 1

Of course not and yes Supergirl is close to the end as well as the Flash. I can see both Melissa and Grant moving on when their shows are over.

Grant is going to have a harder time walking away. Flash is still pulling in about double the league average for the network's live ratings, so CW is going to be motivated to make him the biggest offer they can. I could easily see Gustin signing a 3 year extension and going for an even 10 years.

Melissa is likely to draw a lot of attention from other networks anyway because she's so talented. It's unlikely CW/WB will be able to make her an offer that is competitive given the ratings level of the show at present.

Basically, CW can be financially competitive with other networks to keep the lead of a show that does double the average ratings on the network. But they can't be competitive to keep the lead of a show that does 90% of the average.

Still need to return Supergirl to Monday nights at 8pm and change direction after Crisis.

I dont see Grant moving on, he really doesnt do much during the Summer hiatus. Melissa will have plenty of movie offers possibly another series....so I do think she will be 7 and done.

Well I don't know. I think Melissa will get offers but Grant might too. You never know who will last off one of these shows.

Well I don't know. I think Melissa will get offers but Grant might too. You never know who will last off one of these shows.
Grant is going to get a massive, massive offer from Warner Bros to stay. Melissa is not.

Flash is, by far, the most successful show in the history of the CW or the two networks which merged to create it, WB and UPN. It's still drawing about double the league average for the network.

I dont see Grant moving on, he really doesnt do much during the Summer hiatus. Melissa will have plenty of movie offers possibly another series....so I do think she will be 7 and done.
Are we sure it's 7? I know that's the standard, but I've heard Melissa's contract is up after next season.

Are you saying Supergirl’s 6th season will be its last?
It's possible. I don't know for sure, nobody really does. I've just heard conflicting things on whether Melissa's contract is up after season 6 or season 7.

Let's not forget that Supergirl started in CBS as I wonder if their contracts stem from there than CW.

Last edited:
0.6 is the preliminary rating for last night, about 3X what the show did last week.

Hopefully Batwoman can build on that tonight.

0.6 is the preliminary rating for last night, about 3X what the show did last week.

Hopefully Batwoman can build on that tonight.
That's the same as the Flash installment from Elsewards that aired Sunday, December 9th 2018. The 8PM timeslot IMO makes a significant difference. In the 9PM timeslot it's up against The Walking Dead and Watchman, two shows that would have similar audiences to Supergirl.

TV Ratings Sunday: ‘Dancing with the Stars: Juniors’ finale holds steady, NFL gives FOX another boost

The challenge for Supergirl is to see how much of an audience will it retain from the Crisis for the rest of its 5th season.

Crisis part one adjusted up to a 0.7 rating.

Batwoman has come in at the same preliminary 0.6 rating that Supergirl did.

Black Lightning checked in at 0.3, one tenth above its previous result

How do the ratings of Crisis compare to the ratings of past crossovers?

Top broadcast (big 5 networks) dramas on television in terms of male/female split:
1. The Flash (59%)
2. Arrow (58%)
3. Supergirl (57%)
4. Batwoman (53%)
5. Black Lightning (49%)

Broadcast dramas with the highest percentage of viewers in the key demographic:
1. The Flash (47%)
2. Arrow (46%)
3. Black Lightning (44%)
9. Supergirl (36%)
11. Batwoman (34%)

These numbers are why they keep cranking out more Arrowverse shows despite Black Lightning, Supergirl, Arrow, and Legends pulling in barely above CW-average ratings.

These shows capture the two hardest groups of people to get to watch broadcast dramas: men and people in general under 50.

It's much easier to reach men with sports or comedy but in the broad sense, dudes don't watch hour long dramas.

Crisis effect

Last few episodes of DC TV, unrounded L+SD

Flash
11/26: 0.39
12/03: 0.47
12/10: 0.65

Black Lightning
11/18: 0.19
11/25: 0.21
12/02: 0.23
12/09: 0.28

Arrow
11/05: 0.23
11/19: 0.24
11/26: 0.25
12/03: 0.30

Supergirl
11/03: 0.16
11/10: 0.19
11/17: 0.20
12/01: 0.24
12/08: 0.65

Batwoman
11/17: 0.26
12/01: 0.28
12/09: 0.60

The challenge is to see how much of these viewers will they retain from Crisis.

How do the ratings of Crisis compare to the ratings of past crossovers?

Let's see, shall we?

Crisis on Infinite Earths (2019-2020)
Supergirl: 0.65
Batwoman: 0.60
The Flash: 0.65

Elseworlds (2018)
The Flash: 0.67
Arrow: 0.77
Supergirl: 0.77
(NOTE: The Flash aired in Supergirl's normal time slot, while Supergirl aired in The Flash's normal time slot. Legends of Tomorrow did not take part in this crossover.)

Crisis on Earth-X (2017)
Supergirl: 0.88
The Flash: 0.96
Arrow: 0.85
Legends of Tomorrow: 0.91

Invasion! (2016)
Supergirl*: 1.10
The Flash: 1.53
Arrow: 1.28 (This was Arrow's 100th episode)
Legends of Tomorrow: 1.17
(*Supergirl kicked off the crossover event in the waning moments of S2E8 "Medusa")

Heroes Join Forces (2015)
The Flash: 1.42
Arrow: 1.38

Flash vs. Arrow (aka The Bolt and the Bow) (2014)
The Flash: 1.59
Arrow: 1.41

(Source: TVSeriesFinale)

Ratings drop across the board every year, though. A more fair comparison would be to compare each crossover vs the overall broadcast TV average from the same season.

Season to date CW average ratings:
The Flash - 0.51
Batwoman - 0.34
Supernatural - 0.30 (ending)
Supergirl - 0.28
Arrow - 0.27 (ending)
AVERAGE - 0.264
Legacies - 0.260
Riverdale - 0.25
All American - 0.24
Black Lightning - 0.23
Charmed - 0.173 (Friday)
Nancy Drew - 0.170
Dynasty - 0.11 (Friday)

Not hard to see why there are at least 3 Arrowverse shows in the pipeline (Stargirl, Green Arrow and the Canaries, Superman and Lois).

Black Lightning is in a bit of a tough spot because it's not gonna out perform its lead-in, which is already a below average performer in All American.

Legends will be interesting. Starting its season with a crossover has never happened before. Hopefully they can hook some crossover viewers to stick around for the year.

e5f05c05ad032ab8e9a1d2c8a38eeb73aab67b3ebe6f12e9fca545bdec035897.png

An idea of the relative performance of the CW shows versus last year.

In this context, Batwoman and Supergirl's performances look much stronger.

Also nuts that Flash can drop 22% and still be easily the #1 show.

Black Lightning took a big hit out on its own.

Since the year before Arrow began, television ratings on the whole are down 69%. CW ratings are only down 59%.

It's pretty much entirely the Arrowverse responsible for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"