BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ayer has said from early in production that SUICIDE SQUAD would have a surprising amount of humor. One of the main characters is the film is The Joker. Another is Harley Quinn. This whole thing is ridiculous.

How friggin dark can Suicide Squad be? BvS looked dark from minute one but SS has always had at least a black humour vibe to it. That's all that film really needs.

I've wondered if the humor being more Tarantino/Coen Bros kind and not really accessible to the GA is what he was getting at.

Doea he hate Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman already? They look very respecting to the characters.

That all comes down to the person doing the judging.
Respecting SS boils down to if you read the original task for X or this new Harley Quinn vehicle or simply saw that R rated direct to video...
Theoretically it could be across the board, this could very well be the second coming of Heath and his tone with him. But then you have captain boomerang fans and BTAS fans...Like Snyder it will probably come down to Ayers proclivities. Or at least it would have a few weeks ago lol.
If they are smart they will do their best to deliver what's in that trailer, tone and all.

Respecting WW could mean doing Linda Carter(falling into that Reeve thing again), or it could be the more ruthless warrior first thing seen in some of the modern books(see neck snap). Again, Patty Jenkins.
But at the very least we probably have a good idea of what Gal is gonna be doing. It really just boils down to how the world around her is in that film(see WW1).

Should be interesting seeing how it all goes. DC tends to come with mixed baggage when it comes to people deciding if characters were respected or not. People most often mean to speak for themselves, even when they don't.

Something I suspect will fuel the superman change going forward. Reeve didn't exist in the world of mos, from the purpose of the senate(UN) hearings to the media in his world, it really was nothing but celebration of his existence. If post BvS the world and heroes have 180'd on superman, they would be hard pressed to have him 'being sad' about all things outside darkseid.

*As for Faraci, it's always nice to be reminded that our critics don't actually have agendas that reach outside of the films at hand.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this recently, and I only had five years of life under my belt when that movie came out, but does it feel like BvS is this generation's TPM, at least as far as fan backlash goes?

I was thinking about this recently, and I only had five years of life under my belt when that movie came out, but does it feel like BvS is this generation's TPM, at least as far as fan backlash goes?

Sure seems like that, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why

Do people still think the Reeve era movies debuted during a campy, lighthearted, happy time? It was the total opposite. They were charming, hopeful movies in a dark, dreadful decade of geopolitical war.

Not to mention that a lot of cinematic protagonists were anti heroes and flawed average joes.

The idea that Chris Reeve's Superman reflected the times he was in is a myth. Even in Superman: The Movie, his version of the character is anachronistic, as TitanSupes alluded to. I like that Donner and co. chose to portray him like that, rather than try to make him like any other 70's film protagonist.

It's this generations TPM as far as fan denial goes tbh

The rumor is that all the jokes were in the trailer.

I think that is another fake rumor.

I don't think Captain Boomerang is going to a serious character. He isn't in the comics and doesn't seem like he will be in the film. You also have Will Smith who loves to quip. I expect some gallows humor at the very least.

So I watched Superman III and IV today. Haven't seen it in years.

Yes....they are really bad films.

Christopher Reeve was still truly perfect in that role.

The problem for me isn't being 'too dark and gloomy', it's being those things at inappropriate times for the wrong characters. My biggest gripe with the movie is its lack of identity. It's neither a Superman film or a Batman film or even a batman versus Superman film. It feels like during the writing process once they reached a certain point they had no idea what to do next. And again, and again. I kept feeling that when I saw the movie. I think making it a versus movie was a mistake at the end of the day. And no matter how flashy and cool everything looked, it didn't matter because it didn't resonate with me at all.

I disagree with this. This article outlines very well what Batman V Superman was attempting to be

http://pulpklatura.tumblr.com/post/141843209469/batman-v-superman-the-modern-revenge-tragedy

Definitely. Or at least somewhere between TPM and SM3.

How friggin dark can Suicide Squad be? BvS looked dark from minute one but SS has always had at least a black humour vibe to it. That's all that film really needs.

SS is about a gang of villains, I should hope the standards for how these characters act would be relaxed a little. There's not going to be any "He didn't care about humanity enough/he needs to be a beacon of hope" type stuff like we get in a film about iconic heroes.

As long as they entertain, it should be fine. Black humor sounds about right.

It doesn't Matter if SS is Dark tone. You can make successful dark movies. The movie actually has to be good though. Why wasn't anyone complaining about the dark knight being too dark?

how many worst films criticism accepted more serious defects that Batman v Superman accepted that many people hate snyder and already will see the film with prejudice that's a fact

Maybe there's a reason so many people dislike Snyder. Just saying.

When JL comes out and snyder doesn’t deliver again. These same people will be saying the samething defending him. He not good. He bad at story telling,decision making, editing, amd understanding these characters.

It doesn't Matter if SS is Dark tone. You can make successful dark movies. The movie actually has to be good though. Why wasn't anyone complaining about the dark knight being too dark?

I'm not quite sure, as I think the movie is phenomenal

It would have been funny if on the small budget comparatively to BvS, SS made more money worldwide, and ended up being a critical/fanboys success. :D

Imagine if that were to happen, and if it had happened at a time when JL (which shoots tomorrow - we think) wasn't shooting right away.

They'd probably of delayed JL, gave Snyder the boot and Ayer would be in charge of things. ;)

I'm still hoping something is being done about JL and they just aren't broadcasting it to save face.

Wait, I just read SS budget went up to 250 million? I didn't follow it that close. Is that true? What the :confused:

Wait, I just read SS budget went up to 250 million? I didn't follow it that close. Is that true? What the :confused:

I was just about to ask how much the budget for that film actually is, but surely 250 can't be true. If so Warner have a serious over budgeting problem.

I was just about to ask how much the budget for that film actually is, but surely 250 can't be true. If so Warner have a serious over budgeting problem.
I remember way back the original plan was 50 million, then I read 110 million. Just now I saw some articles that state it revealed at 250 million. ACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"