All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does this mean for the DCEU? New leadership?

Normally I'd trust Deadline, but not with this. It's not based on anything other than a stale rumor. Until there's a separate article or press release about it, it's still up in the air.

You'd think if they had something, they'd have a story about just that. It's just paying lip service to the "popular story".

I would think they're going to want to see what they have, which would hopefully involve waiting a while before making any major decisions. Whoever comes in to address the film studio and its properties will almost certainly be conscious of the level of bad publicity the DCEU has received, but the potential of an ongoing cinematic universe is hard to argue.

I would think they're going to want to see what they have, which would hopefully involve waiting a while before making any major decisions. Whoever comes in to address the film studio and its properties will almost certainly be conscious of the level of bad publicity the DCEU has received, but the potential of an ongoing cinematic universe is hard to argue.

They've already made changes so I imagine DC is unaffected for now. WB wise, it's possible but TBH they're not doing badly this year especially since they've successfully restarted the Ocean's franchise and have two hits in Ready Player One and Rampage.

I imagine those who thought they'd lose and WB would sell DC are eating humble pie right now

Last edited:
Normally I'd trust Deadline, but not with this. It's not based on anything other than a stale rumor. Until there's a separate article or press release about it, it's still up in the air.

Bet you’d trust them if it were saying he was still doing it though, eh? :cwink:

Nah. Affleck’s gone. And good riddance.

It means that there’s no chance of TW offloading DC, which means the DCEU will limp on for another few years, until they have enough box office losers that they finally put a nail gun in its head. I fully predict that when all’s said and done, the DCEU will stand as one of the greatest follies in cinematic history.

It means that there’s no chance of TW offloading DC, which means the DCEU will limp on for another few years, until they have enough box office losers that they finally put a nail gun in its head. I fully predict that when all’s said and done, the DCEU will stand as one of the greatest follies in cinematic history.

Idk man, so far yeah, the DCEU has sucked, but they can still turn it around

https://deadline.com/2018/06/geoff-johns-exit-dc-chief-creative-officer-warner-bros-producing-deal-1202407811/

"...with Matt Reeves rebooting Batman for a new standalone franchise, likely with a new actor to play the Caped Crusader after Ben Affleck’s stints in Batman V Superman and Justice League."

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
hype-gif-2.gif

Bet you’d trust them if it were saying he was still doing it though, eh? :cwink:

Nah. Affleck’s gone. And good riddance.

Nope, I only trust them when they put out articles that have quotes from sources or press releases. That's not that this is; hence my skepticism about anything they'd say whether it would be suggesting he's staying or going.

Also, the use of the term "reboot" seemed odd considering Flashpoint doesn't seem to be happening anymore, so there doesn't seem to be any mechanism for a reboot. A recast perhaps, but not a reboot. It just read as sort stale rumor repetition rather than anything solid. I mean this time last year, people thought Affleck was going to announce his departure at SDCC, and it didn't happen.

I'm choosing to keep an open-mind, that's all, and to only give weight to more substantive pieces. If you have a different approach, that's fine.

Idk man, so far yeah, the DCEU has sucked, but they can still turn it around

Although I liked their offerings more than most, looking at it from a more mass and commercial and critical standpoint, they've at least had critical and commercial success with WW and commercial success with SS. Aquaman sounds like it's in good hands, WW2 is probably going to do well, and the filmmakers they have on some of their other films have promise. All of which is to say I agree with you that things can be turned around. It's not hopeless.

It's the same rumors we've been hearing ever since Affleck dropped out of directing the Batman solo.

Nothing new

Affleck is definitely out, and I can't say I'll miss him. Sayonara, Batfleck.

shame he has to leave without solo movie.
Batfleck is my favorite live action take on Batman.

Although I liked their offerings more than most, looking at it from a more mass and commercial and critical standpoint, they've at least had critical and commercial success with WW and commercial success with SS. Aquaman sounds like it's in good hands, WW2 is probably going to do well, and the filmmakers they have on some of their other films have promise. All of which is to say I agree with you that things can be turned around. It's not hopeless.
I agree with this. The DCEU has 3 movies that are going to be released with certainty: Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2, and Shazam. If Aquaman is a commercial and critical success, it would be a property besides Wonder Woman that WB could say they delivered on. It wouldn't restore all faith, but it would at least give WB reason to move forward with the DCEU beyond 2019.

A year ago, I would consider it strange to think much of its future would hinge on whether Aquaman is considered a success, but given the franchise's generally negative reception and JL's poor performance at the box office, I think that's the case today.

shame he has to leave without solo movie.
Batfleck is my favorite live action take on Batman.

I thought he was merely decent, but that alone exceeded my expectations. However, I've often wondered if Affleck had a finite number of appearances in mind as Batman. He'll be 46 soon, and the role of Batman is a physically demanding one. I'll be interested to hear his thoughts about whether he actually wanted to play in the role that could have conceivably taken him into his mid-50s.

John Hamm please to play Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Otherwise Matt Bomer or Wes Bentley.

He is probably getting a role in one of DC's upcoming streaming network shows.

Luke Evans or Tom Ellis could maybe work for Batman. Particularly with a Morena Baccarin Catwoman.

Last edited:

The problem with SS is that while it made a lot of money, the reception set it up for an unknown next time out, where companies are interested in sequels because they are supposed to be a safer outing building on the reception of past films. Like how BB didn't make huge bank itself but setup TDK very well.

WW was a total success and they can build around that. I certainly believe the overall situation can be turned around and 2 consecutive well received films will change things massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"