All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I agree in that I don't think it confirms anything. But I disagree with the notion a vehicle is needed for a reboot. We didn't need a Flashpoint set-up after Batman & Robin. They just made Batman Begins. If it is not going to be connected to the DCEU at all, then they can easily just rip off the band aid and proceed. Heck, I don't even think a Flashpoint is needed on a recast either should it still be a DCEU movie!

2. Jonwo

Jonwo Well-Known Member

I think SS2 could be like what happened with The Wolverine which was a better received sequel to a much maligned film, same with Annabelle Creation.

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

If they make the film significantly better then there is potential for that. If they make a similar level film to the first I think we’ll see a significant decline.

4. Jonwo

Jonwo Well-Known Member

They have a new director and writer so I can't imagine it'll be any worse.

5. MbJ

MbJ Well-Known Member

Per The Hollywood Reporter:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. lordofthenerds

lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Looks like that's it for Affleck, then. Pretty safe to call it at this point. I'm somewhat disappointed, but it may be for the best. As others have noted, he lost a lot of his enthusiasm after BvS was so poorly received, and seemed to be losing whatever enthusiasm he had left by the release of Justice League. I just hope Reeves doesn't try to do something too outlandish in this casting (i.e. another Jesse Eisenberg fiasco).

There were talks of Gyllenhaal being offered the role; consider me ambivalent on that one, at this point anyway.

7. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

It really is absurd that it's taken this long for Affleck/WB to come clean about his commitment to the role. We basically know he's not coming back, so why prolong this?

"DC has a plan!" :whatever:

Looks like they're on the path to finally getting one.

8. Spider-Fan

I do wonder if the Reeves Batman will just be an outright new universe or a prequel and still in the DCEU. After all, the DCEU at least still exists in some form with Aquaman & Wonder Woman continuing and same with Shazam (likely at least). Curious to see how this plays out.

9. lordofthenerds

Justice League was, no doubt, the wake-up call. Despite the poor reception the other films received (apart from Wonder Woman, and maybe MOS if you distinguish between "lukewarm" and "poor"), they didn't flop at the box office. JL did both.

10. Flint Marko

At this point I think they have to stick with the DCEU. They've put billions into making this universe.

11. Spider-Fan

I agree, plus it would be odd to start a new universe with a Batman movie but still have the DCEU going. I think it has to at least be loosely connected, but maybe more self contained.

12. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

I'd just let Reeves make the film/s he wants to make, and not get bogged down by semantics. No need to reference any other characters. No need to reference the greater DCEU as a whole. Simply tell good Batman stories.

If they do go with a younger Batman, fans can always treat the film/s as being "in continuity" with the existing DCEU (prequels set prior to MoS), should they choose to do so. And if it's true that Affleck is more receptive to sticking around, perhaps they can hold onto him for any future Justice League films.

13. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Custom User Title

Wait, how young are we talking about here? 30-35? Because if Bruce is still young then Babs and Dick must be, like, really young. Unless Reeves is planning to make a prequel... I hope not.

14. Aurakles

Aurakles Well-Known Member

Two different Batmen and two different Jokers?

15. Spider-Fan

I think this might be the best plan. Let Reeves make a "prequel" series that is not contingent on the DCEU and keeping things current. It can be self-contained and still in same universe. Focus on a younger Batman. Maybe make a trilogy around that, and use Affleck as the current timeline/JL Batman.

16. lordofthenerds

It sounds like a prequel is what they're going for. For all we know, that's all "a young Caped Crusader" really means.

17. Flint Marko

I think that's exactly what we're going to see. It won't outright contradict anything that's already been established but it also won't reference much, if anything, outside of it's own little corner.

That said, it's not like they established a whole lot about Batfleck's beginnings that they'd need to dance around. There's a good amount of wriggle room to basically do what they want.

18. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

Bingo. It's not unlike Wonder Woman, really. The only real connection that film has to the wider DCEU is the framing device with the photograph. While the photograph does link the film directly to the DCEU continuity, the framing device is so innocuous that you can just as easily disregard it and treat the film as a standalone (which is what I've done).

Young or old, I expect Matt Reeves' Batman will be its own thing. It's as simple as that. He's not going to reference the DCEU. He's not going to have Superman or Wonder Woman showing up. It'll be a Batman story concerning Batman and Batman only. However, I don't expect there will be anything in the film that necessarily contradicts what we've seen in the DCEU. In which case, fans can treat it as being in continuity in their minds. There's simply not going to be a direct link to it, basically.

Of course, this is the last thing we should really be worrying about. I'd rather just have a great Batman film. Couldn't give less of a **** about DCEU continuity at this point.

19. lordofthenerds

Yes, that's what I'm expecting too. I actually thought they would be going in the prequel direction with Affleck's Batman (with the references to Jason Todd's death, the Penguin, flashbacks of him fighting villains in Suicide Squad, etc.) until I found out they weren't. Also, it might might be tricky to have Batman taking on villains like the Joker when Superman and Wonder Woman are around. They could take the guy out in a heartbeat.

20. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Custom User Title

Maybe. Or maybe they're just making sure that people know the old Batman is gone.

21. Flint Marko

They could also just X-men the whole franchise and play fast and loose with the continuity. It's connected when they want and it's own thing when they want.

22. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

That's what I would prefer. Don't bend over backwards trying to connect everything, just let things unfold.

23. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

I love the vibe of the new WW84 pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. lordofthenerds

True. This sounds to be along the lines of what Boom was saying. In that case, it could be left open to interpretation whether Reeves' Batman is a prequel, a part of the current DCEU, or the DCEU at all for that matter.

25. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.