All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
The avengers worked. But yes, I get what Mark is saying. It's going to be a hard challenge, another reason WB needs to slow down on fast releasing JLA in 2015.

The last thing I want is JL film getting in the way of a MOS saga, but I'm just so gorram tired of hearing this crap about DC heroes. I simply DON'T understand how them being "iconic" doesn't allow for a good movie, and these guys, Millar and Whedon and whoever, should know better. Captain America is almost as old as anything DC, and he wears the most ridiculous costume ever, with stripes on his belly and an A in his forehead to boot. And Thor... Superman may be god-like, but he's LITERALLY a god. And they made him work, they made him somewhat compelling. In what sense is what was done with him undoable with DC guys?

Not to mention that the Avengers' logistics are just as awkward. Hulk can destroy the entire city in one minute, while all Black Widow can do is shoot guns. Still, they put them in the same team and the same movie. It's the same thing. Just... gah.

Saying Millar lacks imagination is pretty unfair. Considering his body of work, especially the most recent and including his take on Superman. It does seem odd that he's damming the project in such a way though. Then again, unlike Marvel WB execs aren't really good at translating 50plus year superheros consistently. I mean the GL film is precisely the issue Millar is speaking on and I'm sure if it were are Marvel(as flawed as they are) it would have been some sort of hit.

To say Millar is just a Fox/Marvel boy isn't fair either, he's spoken very very positively about all things MoS so far and recently.

Saying Millar lacks imagination is pretty unfair. Considering his body of work, especially the most recent and including his take on Superman.

He's basically stating he lacks the imagination to see how DC's main heroes can be translated on the big screen.

He's saying he doesn't see how it can be done. That doesn't mean other people aren't more capable of visualising how to translate them. People with more imagination than him in that area...

He's basically stating he lacks the imagination to see how DC's main heroes can be translated on the big screen.

He's saying he doesn't see how it can be done. That doesn't mean other people aren't more capable of visualising how to translate them. People with more imagination than him in that area...

Exactly. He either lacks imagination or simply has something against a JL-movie. Just saying flat out it wont work clearly indicates he has issues.

I'm hoping that if Snyder doesn't direct JLA he will at least stay on as maybe a producer or close consultant.

I'm hoping that if Snyder doesn't direct JLA he will at least stay on as maybe a producer or close consultant.
WHAT!?! NNNOOOOOOOO...i don't think i could more emphatically disagree.

It's funny when I see someone type "NNNNNNOOOOOOOO". I try to picture, in my head, what someone would look and sound like when saying that. Needless to say, it makes me giggle.

I get Millar's points, there are massive challenges facing a JL film, but if a film maker does it right, those problems don't come close to surfacing during the film.

Five years ago you could have said similar stuff about the problems an Avengers film would have. I can imagine Millar 5 years ago saying 'How can you have Robert Downey Jr's Stark, in this real world created by Iron Man 1, next to a god from Asgard talking in Shakespearian? Audiences just arn't going to buy it and its a great way to lose $200 million.'
Although there are challenges with respect to mixing mythologies (i.e., sci-fi and magic), I think Millar was talking more about making certain characters (and their powers) interesting on screen. A good portion of the Avengers membership are essentially “strong men.” And those abilities are very photogenic. But how long can green light “constructs” or “super speed” hold our attention? I suppose one solution is to make Superman and Batman the stars (with the most screentime) and delegate the others to supporting role status.

I get what you're saying, but at face value that would be sorta like saying Grant Morrison lacks imagination if he said something like this(not that he would).

What's lacking here isn't "imagination", but something else. Perhaps what you went on to describe.

I personally think with the way WB is ran creatively, Millar has a misguided point. How would a WB exec want to handle the flash vs how well a WB exec would want to handle a more modern gun totting super spy. The characters are a little too new frontier for them is what he's getting at. If he meant what many people here are implying then he would be in a place to say the same thing about Marvel(avengers). Then again maybe he's just being biased.

Adapting Aquaman is very different than adapting a very modern Ironman.

After GL and with their current framework, I personally don't want WB moving forward so quickly until they announce a writer/director duo I have faith in. All this is kinda stupid in light of that DC Universe Cinematic I have in my sig. It's just so clear and simple what to do.

But I digress.
Let's Go Superman.

Although there are challenges with respect to mixing mythologies (i.e., sci-fi and magic), I think Millar was talking more about making certain characters (and their powers) interesting on screen. A good portion of the Avengers membership are essentially “strong men.” And those abilities are very photogenic. But how long can green light “constructs” or “super speed” hold our attention? I suppose one solution is to make Superman and Batman the stars (with the most screentime) and delegate the others to supporting role status.

I see what youre saying about Green lanterns constructs but with the right amount of effects GLs powers will pretty much be Space-harry potter magic which will sell like crazy.
Superspeed has always been awsome to watch on scree-thi isnt even debatable.

I get what you're saying, but at face value that would be sorta like saying Grant Morrison lacks imagination if he said something like this(not that he would).

What's lacking here isn't "imagination", but something else. Perhaps what you went on to describe.

I think this is a semantic arguement. And I always find those moot. I don't think we particularly disagree. I'm not saying 'he's an idiot with no creative imagination whatsoever'. I'm just saying his imagination obv doesn't extend to a DC world on screen.

I too hope Snyder is on JL in some form

I think Aquaman could be a really awesome movie, but it would be CGI heavy with all the water and creature effects, and Atlantis. It would definitely need a strong director and writer to convince DC.

They can make it relevant by tying it to Global Warming, but without any political message. Atlantis notices the ice caps are melting and the sea level rising. Ocean Master gets the idea to accelerate the process to strategically launch an attack on the surface. Since they have control over 70% of the world, they don't see why the surface world should decide the fate of the planet. They want to instill Atlantians in charge of every major government. Aquaman steps into the battle, stops Ocean Master, and calls for cooperation.

Dunno if this was posted - http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/33956/justice-league-film-is-an-excellent-way-of-losing-200-million/

Wow, this Mark Millar must be ash flash or something, because obviously they can make a JL-movie work if they put some effort into it. They can (hopefully) make Superman work and then it's just a question of applying the same recipe. Just be very creative and make some changes here and there and just make every character work within the story. Really.

I'm not necessarily pro a JL-movie, but this is just ash-talking.
You don't get more "out of date" than Captain America. If that can be done well (being generous with the definition of "done well"), then anything can.

PS, Snyder basically said the same thing about Superman before he took the job.

Saying Millar lacks imagination is pretty unfair. Considering his body of work, especially the most recent and including his take on Superman. It does seem odd that he's damming the project in such a way though. Then again, unlike Marvel WB execs aren't really good at translating 50plus year superheros consistently. I mean the GL film is precisely the issue Millar is speaking on and I'm sure if it were are Marvel(as flawed as they are) it would have been some sort of hit.

To say Millar is just a Fox/Marvel boy isn't fair either, he's spoken very very positively about all things MoS so far and recently.
But nothing about Green Latern was dated. It was just a crappy movie with bad dialogue, acting, etc. It looked and felt very modern and nothing was really problematic about the Green Latern powers.

I've been emailing cinemas like crazy trying to get tickets for advanced screenings. I wonder when the premier in London will be.

Superspeed has always been awsome to watch on screen-this isnt even debatable.
How so? Flash, at his true speed, is literally impossible to see. So the interesting stuff has to be rendered as slo-mo or “bullet time” instead. And overused, this is a sfx technique which might get tiresome fairly quickly (pun intended :cwink:).

Mark Milliar doesn't lack imagination...he lacks class. He was praising the Justice League script earlier, now he pretends he doesn't know how they'll make iconic, long-lasting characters work?

Whatever.

Who cares what he says when his statements are obviously absurd?

Mark Milliar doesn't lack imagination...he lacks class. He was praising the Justice League script earlier, now he pretends he doesn't know how they'll make iconic, long-lasting characters work?

Whatever.

That's what I don't get he was saying how good the script was, the guys a dick. Controversy creates cash as they say

WHAT!?! NNNOOOOOOOO...i don't think i could more emphatically disagree.

29683661.jpg

How so? Flash, at his true speed, is literally impossible to see. So the interesting stuff has to be rendered as slo-mo or “bullet time” instead. And overused, this is a sfx technique which might get tiresome fairly quickly (pun intended :cwink:).

Flash doesnt need to be lightspeed in the movie.Just make him fast enough for the audience to get the message and yet slow enough for the film not to always resort to Slow mo.

One of the best displays of superspeed was in incredibles-It was always one of-if not the coolest scene in the movie.

Watch here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5v2qBBD-gE

Whatever.

He saw no script.He was just ********ting as usual and has now fiven it away by saying he cant see how JL movie can work.Hes qucikly forgotten his little lie.

Last edited:
I agree with Guard, Millar does seem even less genuine than even he used too, ever since he got hired. I do however believe he has even more responsibility to begrudge Marvel Studios over DC. You'll find he gives them even less praise.

As for Green Lantern, giant bubbles and big hands...and big springs used to launch tankers into tha air was groovy back in the day. Today it needs to be, for lack of a better word "JJ'd" as in abrams lol. Do to the lantern universe what was done to the cinematically dated and distant Star Trek universe.
What's more about the powers, the way Lantern fights some of his antagonists such as say the finale of the movie is boarder line ang lee hulk vs the absorbing man engaging. It could be so much more but they need better creative management if they are going to succeed.

..otherwise the flash movie will end with him on a cosmic treadmill.
(old school).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"