All Things Superman: An Open Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i'm hoping they realized that the lack of action wasn't the ONLY thing wrong with SR...it was mostly the mood and how drab everything felt. they need to make Superman fun and somewhat lighthearted again, so that way when the skit hits the fan it's much more of an impact.
:huh: This movie will be made from the guys of 300 and The Dark Knight. Aint No Way in hell will this movie gonna be made lighthearted.

keyword: hoping

that doesn't mean i'm EXPECTING them to make a lighthearted film.

I dont know if you guys heard about this but Superman is renouncing his American citizenship in Action Comics #900.

:huh: This movie will be made from the guys of 300 and The Dark Knight. Aint No Way in hell will this movie gonna be made lighthearted.
In that case, they both fail as film-makers if they can't tell stories with a different tone.

However, I'm confident that Zack Snyder has the ability to tell stories that aren't grim and dark, and Nolan is only the producer, so he doesn't have to bother with changing his style.

yeah i'm hoping they realized that the lack of action wasn't the ONLY thing wrong with SR...it was mostly the mood and how drab everything felt. they need to make Superman fun and somewhat lighthearted again, so that way when the skit hits the fan it's much more of an impact.

Agreed.

MOS can't be portrayed as a melodramatic film with such a sombre atmosphere for its characters.

There needs to be a breathe of fresh air within its characters and the universe/world that we're presented with in the film.

It has to have the right balance of seriousness/humor/drama/suspense/action

Basically, there should be something for everyone in the sense when concerning both comic book fans and the general audience. From its visuals to the depth of its storytelling and characterization of its characters, to even the romance itself (just as long as it doesn't consume the film like its predecessor did).

But in the same time MOS shouldn't be weighed down to the point where they're so focused on trying not to repeat SR's mistakes, that they end up making all new ones in the process. As Snyder said, don't be a slave to any of the films..in both their good and bad qualities.

well, no s**t. and im saying, i really dont think thats what they will do. i doubt they'll take it much further than the yellow sun/kryptonian DNA explanation.

Maybe, maybe not. I have the hunch they'll go a little further.

for those of you who dont read comics, today was the release of action comics 900. it featured a short superman story written by david goyer. i wasnt too enthusiastic about it. it was melodramatic and void of.....fun? im all for superman tackling serious and relevant issues, and i can appreciate the intentions of goyer, but that was a boring way to do it.

goyer.jpg

I thought goyer's story was decent. I like that he's really thinking about the scope of superman's poiwers.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that every single feat Supes performs has to pass muster with Nasa physicists. It just has to seem plausible to the average moviegoer.

Consider the scene in SIII where Supes freezes a lake, picks it up and douses a forest fire with it. By all means, grant Supes his freeze breath and his power to hoist a great weight in mid air. This is not in question. The problem is picking up a massive sheet of ice by holding it at one end. Even if you flunked out of high school science, that scene should make your eyes roll. And it’s not about being nitpicky on “realism.” A goof like that takes you out of the moment and makes Supes an object of ridicule – or, at best, a kind of tongue-in-cheek kiddie hero who’s not to be taken too seriously.

With a bit of imagination, a super feat can be made visually impressive and plausible. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. :D

I dont know if you guys heard about this but Superman is renouncing his American citizenship in Action Comics #900.

I cannot tell you how irritated I was when I read this! One of the few times I've been genuinely mad when it comes to Superman

It really has not been said so we really don't know for sure. But I think he will be, at least to set him up as a character in this one. I'm sure they will have LexCorp and all that stuff in it. But in reality we don't fully know but I would assume they will have him in this one even if he is in small capacity in the first one and much larger if they do sequels.

Could you imagine the look on all the fans who've said no more Lex as the villain and find out LexCorp merely cameos in the film? It'd be bold but I certainly hope he's in the background. Luthor didn't appear in Action Comics #1 but the copyright issue can't be the only thing creatively driving the film.

It's important to me they establish Lex as a billionaire scientist from the start: mad scientists are cliche, but he can't just be a skinny Kingpin as Neil Gaiman criticised the MOS incarnation for being. I find the notion of a wealthy scientist puzzling myself, they're not meant to be in it for wealth or power (no offense to some wealthy scientists though).

In regards to this story as a strong hint as to what Goyer's super-duper secret script has in store for Man of Steel, it seems we are looking at Superman being interpreted as a threat by the military, as part of the potential storyline.
Notice that in the Action Comics #900 story, there are Marine snipers with kryptonite rounds ready to take Superman out...even though Superman has been a hero for years....they don't completely trust him.
So this may point out that Superman's relationship with the U.S. government (or other governments for that matter) will likely be a tenuous one at best, similar to the one depicted by Goyer in this now famous story.
So those of you who were speculating that there is a similarity between the Incredible Hulk movie storyline and the new Man of Steel movie script (meaning it will be the U.S. Military vs. Superman), may be on to something, if Goyer's recent Action Comics story is any indicator of his general perspective how Superman should be.

I don't mind Superman vs. the military so much, but I really wish they'd cut out the "general who hates Superman is the father of his girlfriend/wife" angle. The Hulk isn't the only superhero who's allowed to have a shaky relationship with the military, but that's just too much.

That whole Superman's citizenship thing is making the rounds across the net today, and some of the more "enlightened" comments are sarcastically remarking about "no wonder a brit is playing him" and so forth. Though it does somewhat explain about the whole omission of the american way in the oath.

In regards to this story as a strong hint as to what Goyer's super-duper secret script has in store for Man of Steel, it seems we are looking at Superman being interpreted as a threat by the military, as part of the potential storyline.
Notice that in the Action Comics #900 story, there are Marine snipers with kryptonite rounds ready to take Superman out...even though Superman has been a hero for years....they don't completely trust him.
So this may point out that Superman's relationship with the U.S. government (or other governments for that matter) will likely be a tenuous one at best, similar to the one depicted by Goyer in this now famous story.
So those of you who were speculating that there is a similarity between the Incredible Hulk movie storyline and the new Man of Steel movie script (meaning it will be the U.S. Military vs. Superman), may be on to something, if Goyer's recent Action Comics story is any indicator of his general perspective how Superman should be.

Any part of this would be a big mistake!

I find it funny that so many people complaining about this end up making some backhanded remark in the process of praising America. I saw one guy say "what other country could possibly produce a person like Superman?". And another said his slogan is now "truth, justice, and Sharia law". It's that attitude I hate. America is the chosen country, and if it's not America, it's communism and terrorism. And people wonder why this happened.

Gotta love the buzzwords. Every one and their ****ing mothers going on about Sharia Law like they ever heard of it before some whacko they know on Facebook namedropped it. Now every one's an expert in Islamic Studies.

im conflicted about the idea of superman renouncing his american citizenship. he's certainly not renouncing america, which is how im sure the people freaking out are taking it. he's doing it so his actions in other countries arent taken by acts of america itself, inciting international incidents. there is legit reasoning behind it.

but it also seems melodramatic and unnecessary to explore those aspects....even kinda boring.

i just consider it another sign of the times. artwork will always address the issues of it's time...and comics are no different. "truth, justice, and the American Way" were a reflection of a time when America was righteous and prosperous. now our government is deeply corrupt and our country is basically on it's last leg. i simply see Superman renouncing his citizenship as an artistic expression on how America has fallen from grace.

um, but thats not his reasoning or intentions at all. you're completely misrepresenting the situation in order to reflect your own personal views.

Wait a minute. What about Superman's citizenship? I missed that.

Wait a minute. What about Superman's citizenship? I missed that.
In Action Comics #900 he stated he was giving up his U.S. citizenship so that nobody will associate his actions and choices with America's actions and choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back