All Things Superman: An Open Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
um, but thats not his reasoning or intentions at all. you're completely misrepresenting the situation in order to reflect your own personal views.
did you miss the part of my post where i state "i just consider it" or "i simple see"? i didn't my opinion as a fact, even though America HAS fallen from grace and is not as righteous as it once was. are you actually going to argue that American is NOT on it's last leg?

i understand why Superman is renouncing his citizenship WITHIN THE STORY, he even explains why he's doing it. i'm just saying that i, personally, think the writer(s) are making Superman take this action because our country's leaders have taken actions to ensure our country stays in the toilet.

I find it funny that so many people complaining about this end up making some backhanded remark in the process of praising America. I saw one guy say "what other country could possibly produce a person like Superman?". And another said his slogan is now "truth, justice, and Sharia law". It's that attitude I hate. America is the chosen country, and if it's not America, it's communism and terrorism. And people wonder why this happened.
I agree. I googled about it and people are already mad that Superman is renouncing the "superior American way".
im conflicted about the idea of superman renouncing his american citizenship. he's certainly not renouncing america, which is how im sure the people freaking out are taking it. he's doing it so his actions in other countries arent taken by acts of america itself, inciting international incidents. there is legit reasoning behind it.
It seems that way although i'd love it if they dropped the "american way" part. Superman is a global hero in the comics. He should stand for what's right and oppose what's wrong. It doesnt have to do with America, Britain, Italy or Bel Air, it has to do with values.

The "american way" was nice back when America was in depression or fighting in WWII and comics where used for propaganda or to boost morale, but now it seems anachronistic and patriotic in a bad Bush - redneck way. "HURR AMERICA SUPERIOR".

but it also seems melodramatic and unnecessary to explore those aspects....even kinda boring.
Agreed.

http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/04/28/6551587-superman-renounces-us-citizenship
"Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eerie metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide," Hollywood publicist and GOP activist Angie Meyer told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.
The next logical step for Angie Meyer would be to call Superman a terrorist. :doh:

What is he going to do?
The National Security Adviser confronted him with several Marine snipers armed with Kryptonite bullets. They wanted to know why Superman attended a demonstration in Tehran to show his support. The National Security Advisor said Superman's actions made it seem like America itself was somehow involved because the media ran with it and overreacted (sound familiar!? :awesome:). Thus Superman told him of the decision.

did you miss the part of my post where i state "i just consider it" or "i simple see"? i didn't my opinion as a fact, even though America HAS fallen from grace and is not as righteous as it once was. are you actually going to argue that American is NOT on it's last leg?

i understand why Superman is renouncing his citizenship WITHIN THE STORY, he even explains why he's doing it. i'm just saying that i, personally, think the writer(s) are making Superman take this action because our country's leaders have taken actions to ensure our country stays in the toilet.

if thats your opinion on why you would renounce your citizenship, thats cool. i just dont want other people reading that getting the wrong idea of superman's intentions.

and i would debate that america is not on its last leg. thats quite an extreme view. its hardly healthy, but the country isnt going to collapse into disrepair. regardless, this isnt the place for that discussion.

if thats your opinion on why you would renounce your citizenship, thats cool. i just dont want other people reading that getting the wrong idea of superman's intentions.
well, i feel i explained myself pretty clearly and i hope no one gets the wrong impression. i never said Superman is taking it upon himself to denounce his citizenship because of America's current state, but i DID say that artwork, regardless of the medium, always addresses the issues of it's time.

and i would debate that america is not on its last leg. thats quite an extreme view. its hardly healthy, but the country isnt going to collapse into disrepair. regardless, this isnt the place for that discussion.
well it IS open discussion. i can't be sure but as long as no one is causing a ruckus, then all topics are open to discussion.

as for my view...maybe "on it's last leg" is a bit of an exaggeration, but i feel we're on a path that's almost irreversible. our dollar is getting weaker, all costs are skyrocketing, state workers are getting laid off left and right, and a good majority of our leaders are only looking out for Wall Street. we are definitely on a downward spiral and there's little hope that it will turn around anytime soon.

which again, leads me back to...artwork will always reflect the issues of it's time. our country is falling fast, so what better way to express disappointment than by having the world's greatest hero, who was once a beacon of the American dream, denounce his citizenship (within the context of the story of course)?

Last edited:
They want to transition Superman into this

British_Superman.jpg

Just stupid.

I once heard Dennis O'Neil describe the editors of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as "custodians of American folklore". This is the single greatest betrayal of that responsibility I have ever witnessed.

I don't care about the reasons listed in the story -- the story was contrived for the sole purpose of Superman renouncing his American citizenship. It was the climax and the sole consequence of the whole story. The reasons may make sense within the context of the story ... but the renunciation of American citizenship by an American superhero is simply unacceptable. The use of a commemorative 900th issue (the previous 899 being carried by American consumers) for Superman to denounce the country that made him (as a character, as a franchise, and DC as a whole) what he is, is a kick in the teeth to American fans.

As a matter of course, I don't boycott ... but I'm done until DC fixes this. If DC doesn't want Superman to be identified as American, then this American will send his money elsewhere. This is the functional equivalent of having James Bond defect. I'm out until Superman re-asserts his citizenship. If he never does, I've purchased my last Superman.

I don't begrude other cultures their folk/cultural heroes ... but leave ours alone.

KBZ

Just stupid.

I once heard Dennis O'Neil describe the editors of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as "custodians of American folklore". This is the single greatest betrayal of that responsibility I have ever witnessed.

I don't care about the reasons listed in the story -- the story was contrived for the sole purpose of Superman renouncing his American citizenship. It was the climax and the sole consequence of the whole story. The reasons may make sense within the context of the story ... but the renunciation of American citizenship by an American superhero is simply unacceptable. The use of a commemorative 900th issue (the previous 899 being carried by American consumers) for Superman to denounce the country that made him (as a character, as a franchise, and DC as a whole) what he is, is a kick in the teeth to American fans.

As a matter of course, I don't boycott ... but I'm done until DC fixes this. If DC doesn't want Superman to be identified as American, then this American will send his money elsewhere. This is the functional equivalent of having James Bond defect. I'm out until Superman re-asserts his citizenship. If he never does, I've purchased my last Superman.

I don't begrude other cultures their folk/cultural heroes ... but leave ours alone.

KBZ

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

^^ So funny!

It's a decision that makes sense. We should all consider ourselves citizens of earth. Who needs countries anyways?

I really hated Goyer's part in 900. Maybe the action would actually mean something if as Clark renounced his citizenship as well.

This entire renouncing his citizenship deal seems pointless. It's almost like they're begging to be topical.

It's something that should have been changed awhile ago. Now is a better time than ever.

I actually liked all the parts of 900.

Cornell's was awesome. The rest ranged from good to pretty good. Only thing I didn't like about it is gary frank's creepy art, and DC's hard-on for it.

It's something that should have been changed awhile ago. Now is a better time than ever.

Him renouncing his origin of birth?

Sorry, but its pointless and its just a really tacky way for DC to fish for sales.

I understand that the stories shouldn't push the entire "American way" angle constantly but this certainly isn't the solution for an interesting story arc. If anything it comes off as accidently facetious.

First of all, I don't really understand how Superman can be an American citizen in the first place, unless they gave him some kind of honorary citizenship for his deeds. And it really loses it's impact considering Clark is still an American citizen.

He was born on krypton, not in america. I'm surprised most jingoists...I mean 'patriots' aren't demanding to see his birth certificate.

@Lighthouse Good point. It doesn't really make any sense.

I think most assume that he is American as thats his base of operation and where he made his first appearance. Regardless it's all so pointless.

He was born on krypton, not in america. I'm surprised most jingoists...I mean 'patriots' aren't demanding to see his birth certificate.

He was physically born in Krypton as Kal-El, but as Superman the entire conception and his decision to take on the persona took place in America.

The point is that renouncing his citizenship is a completely hollow gesture.

Countries are just gangs with more firepower. Superman is now neutral, as he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"