All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, Superman Returns sitting at 76% on RT just reinforces that it was a critical failure.

See, critical successful Superman movie: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_the_movie/

Also, Returns only made $200 mil domestically off a $250+ million budget. That is a failure. Especially with WB's $300 dom/$600 ww mil projection

Two things.

First, no not a critical failure. You are simply spinning. It was certified fresh.

Second, what if this film does those numbers again?

I know people are really worried about the action seeing as that's probably one of the biggest selling points for the general public, and I have no doubts as to whether or not it will deliver in that department... but if I'm being honest the action may very well be one of the things about this movie I look forward to the least.

This movie just looks like it's going to have so much more to offer. I'm more interested in the spiritual journey of Clark Kent than I am the possibility of Superman throwing things around. Far too many times I've seen certain flicks get lambasted for there "not being enough action". I just hope this isn't going to be one of those times. Sometimes you wonder if these people have any attention span whatsoever.

ToLK1lb.jpg

They better give that kid a good lesson. :o'

So IM2(75%), Thor (77%), Captain America (79%) and The Amazing Spider-Man (73%) were critical failures as well?

SR Reviews counted: 256

STM Reviews counted: 56

Not to mention most of those reviews are coming from hindsight, where Christopher Reeve is a legend.

That's why the top critics are important to examine because they were most likely reviewing it in 1978, which is probably why you can't link to some of their actual reviews.

Well if you focus on the top critics for each of those films. They are comparable, with SR coming out on top.

I wouldn't call it a failure but a disappointment, financially speaking.

Failure is a direct correlation to projection and expectations. WB has HUGE expectations for SR, and when they weren't meant they were shocked. Hell, they already started planning the sequel (past the script phase) before SR came out.

That's why their expectations for MOS are modest. Anyone who thinks they are expecting a billion dollar movie is fooling themselves.

There's not many things in this world more meaningless than a film's Rotten Tomato score.

Who actually thinks Superman Returns is a "bad" movie?

Slow and boring? Sure. Actionless, too vintage? Yup. Odd plot? Kevin Spacey overacting? Yup.

But I mean, overall it is still a good movie. The problem is, while films like Superman Returns are good films, and films like Armageddon are bad films...Armageddon is enjoyable nonetheless. Superman Returns was good, but not overly enjoyable.

But Routh plays the role as it was written very well imo. I am surprised he never got more roles, but he was good for what he had. Bosworth looked too young, but her acting was perfectly fine. Nobody can deny that Superman Returns had its moments.

I hope Man Of Steel has moments like that. ""You wrote the world doesn't need a savoir, but everyday I hear people crying for one." was a great line, and Routh delivered it very well.

So IM2(75%), Thor (77%), Captain America (79%) and The Amazing Spider-Man (73%) were critical failures as well?

They aren't Superman movies. It's not based on random RT figures. Superman Returns was a critical failure for the Superman franchise in the same respect that Transformers 2 was a critical failure for the Transformers franchise. That's why so much of the tone was changed for the third film.

And, yes, Iron Man 2 was a critical failure for the Iron Man franchise since the first one was so ridiculously well received.

There's not many things in this world more meaningless than a film's Rotten Tomato score.

Bingo.

Also, too many people think the score is a grade/star rating. It's not. It's a percentage of the positive/negative reviews. And it's a horribly flawed system.

Bingo.

Also, too many people think the score is a grade/star rating. It's not. It's a percentage of the positive/negative reviews. And it's a horribly flawed system.

Then why are you quoting RT as proof that it was a critical failure?

Second, what if this film does those numbers again?

More than likely we won't get a sequel, but a WF/JL movie instead.

Also, expectations are much, much lower at WB's end. That's why the Deadline report about the first screenings came in stating the film will more than likely be an overachiever.

Bingo.

You call it a critical failure and ignore the critics.
They aren't Superman movies. It's not based on random RT figures. Superman Returns was a critical failure for the Superman franchise in the same respect that Transformers 2 was a critical failure for the Transformers franchise. That's why so much of the tone was changed for the third film.

And, yes, Iron Man 2 was a critical failure for the Iron Man franchise since the first one was so ridiculously well received.
Using that theory, SR was critical success compared to half the series.

More than likely we won't get a sequel, but a WF/JL movie instead.

Also, expectations are much, much lower at WB's end. That's why the Deadline report about the first screenings came in stating the film will more than likely be an overachiever.
Great, even them don't believe in their movie..This is a news that Deadline should put on homepage!

LOL this entire debate is silly to me when we know that we're getting another trailer in the next month and the marketing is going to kick into gear well before the movie is released. I don't understand the need or desire to wreck my brain over trivial stuff. I can't say with any certainty whatsoever that the next trailer will feature the action packed tone that so many of you (and myself) desire, but I'd bet good money on it. Do any of you honestly believe that any person that is breathing and has access to any form of media won't know about this movie upon it's release?

LOL this entire debate is silly to me when we know that we're getting another trailer in the next month and the marketing is going to kick into gear well before the movie is released. I don't understand the need or desire to wreck my brain over trivial stuff. I can't say with any certainty whatsoever that the next trailer will feature the action packed tone that so many of you (and myself) desire, but I'd bet good money on it. Do any of you honestly believe that any person that is breathing and has access to any form of media won't know about this movie upon it's release?

Hello

So knowledge of a film's release is all that is necessary? Good to know.

Hey Poni_Boy have you heard anything on when we might see our possible first TV spot? The general approach for this year's Summer blockbusters seems like studios are debuting one around 3 months ahead of release like Oblivion, GI Joe 2, and even WB did that with Jack The Giant Slayer.

Maybe something with The Walking Dead finale in a few weeks?

Failure is a direct correlation to projection and expectations. WB has HUGE expectations for SR, and when they weren't meant they were shocked. Hell, they already started planning the sequel (past the script phase) before SR came out.

That's why their expectations for MOS are modest. Anyone who thinks they are expecting a billion dollar movie is fooling themselves.

Hm, dunno. It certainly is much more common these days. If Skyfall could do it mainly through word of mouth, and if MOS really is a winner... I wouldn't say it will reach a billion, but all the hype the film is getting lately doesn't really reflect hugely modest expectations.

Hey Poni_Boy have you heard anything on when we might see our possible first TV spot? The general approach for this year's Summer blockbusters seems like studios are debuting one around 3 months ahead of release like Oblivion, GI Joe 2, and even WB did that with Jack The Giant Slayer.

Maybe something with The Walking Dead finale in a few weeks?

No idea. That's all according to preset contracts. More than likely it will be with the Arrow season finale.

Hm, dunno. It certainly is much more common these days. If Skyfall could do it mainly through word of mouth, and if MOS really is a winner... I wouldn't say it will reach a billion, but all the hype the film is getting lately doesn't really reflect hugely modest expectations.

I didn't say it couldn't/wasn't a possibility. I said anyone who thinks WB expects a billion dollar movie is fooling themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"