All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - Part 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supes definitely seems like he is going to save someone. He looks anxious and distressed but determined.
He looks like he's about to start crying. So, yeah whatever he's racing towards is definitely important.

Anyway I respect Grace's opinion. But if this new trailer didnt impress her, nothing will. Grace wants a light hearted happy go lucky Superman and this isn't that

I sure as hell don't want a light hearted happy go lucky Superman. Not even the Animated Series was like that, nor any Justice League incarnations.

^ Nor Alex Ross'. Speaking of which, it seems that Snyder's ability to recreate comic panels finds itself in MOS.
eerie.png

Last edited:
does anyone know where to get hi res shots off the trailer. can't seem to find any place.

I'm not sure who Grace is, but even if her opinions are really well-respected, I honestly don't see how anyone could trash that trailer. I seriously don't. It was magnificent. Hell, even Johanna Robinson of Pajiba (a self-described Snyder hater) loved it.

Jonathan Kent...."I have to believe that you were sent her for a reason."

Jor-el....."You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will ?rise? (I think) behind you. They will stumble, they will fall, but in time they will join you in the sun. In time you will help them accomplish wonders."

To me that reads as a pre-destined "saviour of Earth" Superman.

Also and not necessarily a negative, does Kal-el leave Krypton prior to Zod's trial and sentencing, as we see Zod in manacles on what appears to be Krypton threatening ..."You believe your son is safe?.......I WILL FIND HIM?"

Last edited:
I'm not sure who Grace is, but even if her opinions are really well-respected, I honestly don't see how anyone could trash that trailer. I seriously don't. It was magnificent. Hell, even Johanna Robinson of Pajiba (a self-described Snyder hater) loved it.

God I love your avi !!!! Haha
And yeah, it was a great trailer. I seriously don't understand how someone could not love that trailer.
And speaking about Grace, a serious film doesn't mean it's going to be dark and gritty.

God I love your avi !!!! Haha
And yeah, it was a great trailer. I seriously don't understand how someone could not love that trailer.
And speaking about Grace, a serious film doesn't mean it's going to be dark and gritty.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it! I got it over in the avvy thread.

Yeah, if people can't understand that a film can be serious without being dark and gritty, I seriously question whether they've watched many movies at all. I mean, WTF? Not all drama or action is dark and gritty.

To be honest, I don't even find Nolan's Batman films all that dark and gritty. When I think of dark and gritty movies, I think of films like I Saw the Devil and Martyrs.

Every film deserves it's own tone. If people want Reeve/Donner Superman pop in the DVD and call it an afternoon.

Last edited:
I absolutely love it. It is everything I ever wanted it to be :)

The score is fantastic. The emotional piano piece at the beginning goes so well with the beautiful visuals and heart felt goodbye, and then when it kicks in it has a really epic, inspiring vibe that feels absolutely right for Superman.

There is nothing about the trailer I don't love.

The look of Krypton. Russel Crowe's delivery and his simple line 'How'. The exchange between JK and CK (which reminds me of a similar exchange from Secret Origins that David Goyer said inspired him when writing the film), the shots of the fortress, Lois's line about him being a guardian angel, Clark ushering people to safety while chaos rains down around them, coming out of the FOS in the suit, Jor-el's line (from All Star Superman) again, mouth watering action shots that refuse to give anything away in time to adrenaline building drum beats, Zod screaming like a badass, a quick glimpse of Lexcorp in the Metropolis skyline, a gorgeous shot of the cape in motion, Superspeeding away from gunfire, shirtless hairy Clark (yum), close up shots of Supes flying, a great look at the chemistry and unspoken attraction between Lois and Supes, the line about the 's' being a symbol for hope (taken from Birthright), Superman smiling, a bit of light tongue in cheek humour by only teasing the name Superman...

And finally, a frustratingly small clip of what could very well be a fight scene like nothing we have ever seen before! (I mean, have we ever seen a superspeed, in flight punch up before? :eek:)

Did I miss anything?

Seriously, we couldn't have asked for a better trailer as fans.

So much word sister!! This trailer did something very rare to me, it made me teared up damn it!!! Jor-El and Lara, Jonathan with his "You are my son"... As a father of a 11-year-old boy, I can relate. MOS seems to have the emotional depth, the heart most movies from the genre lack. I think many will cry at one moment or another with this film, at least the ones who are not corrupted by modern society's cynicism!! :woot: ;)

Slightly OT, but with the Zod warning teaser we got to see "calm" Shannon, and in the full trailer he's totally freaking out. I'd say that we're scratching the surface of what looks like an amazing performance.

Slightly OT, but with the Zod warning teaser we got to see "calm" Shannon, and in the full trailer he's totally freaking out. I'd say that we're scratching the surface of what looks like an amazing performance.

I personally find the calm and cold Zod more scary than the screaming Zod.

I like over the top screamy villians more than calm ones, always have and always will.

I like over the top screamy villians more than calm ones, always have and always will.

I like it used sparingly but effectively, like Lex's WROOOOOOOOONG in Superman Returns. Spacey's Lex was just the right sort of over-the-top without being annoying.

She used to be "The Watcher" at Marvel. She was fired a year and a half ago and is with Bleeding Cool since.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/13/marvel-fires-grace-randolph-as-their-watcher/

Just a coincidence that a former Marvel employee doesn't like a DC film? Because a lot of her complaints sound a lot like nitpicking to justify pre conceived hatred of the film.

...or maybe I'm just bitter because someone I don't know doesn't like something I like...and is very eloquent about it. :woot:

I don't know if anyone's brought this up...and I'm kinda' hoping that it is the case...

...but in the trailer when Jor-El/Lara say "He'll be an outcast....they'll kill him." "He'll be a God to them.." Unlike the Brando 'destiny' part of STM...would they be talking about Krypton instead? It's been pointed out that Kal-El's birth is special in that it is natural and not engineered. So it's sort of like Children Of Men in terms of being a miracle that he was born. So the implication is how it will change things on Krypton...that Krypton will see him as different or God-like or a source of fear. And that could be what starts up a huge 'holy war' and leads to his escaping, Zod's obsessive search for him, and ultimately the destruction of Krypton.

I'd also be kind of an interesting reversal in that he escapes a place where he has some sort of destiny or symbolism...a source of awe and/or fear and jealousy and the desire to possess his power...to a place where he could 'start from scratch'....where the 'imagine a child...' part of Jor-El's speech really means something, as opposed to the almost religious radicalism that would meet his existence on Krypton.

I hope that's the case, and it also puts a lot of those 'STM-like' points on Krypton in a whole new light. I honestly thing that really would put a cool spin on this whole thing.

When you think of Krypton, were talking a world much more 'advanced' than ours...but that may not necessarily be a good thing. As technology and science has grown, so has religious (for lack of a better term) radicalism as a 'yin to that yang', so to speak. Zod could very well be a reflection of history's greatest radical zealots using a twisted sense of 'faith' or ideology to attain power. It only stands to reason that in a society where natural birth doesn't happen, this would be seen as a sign or miracle...and just the sort of thing radical zealots would want to capitalize on. Or...Zod is threatened by the power and influence implied by the miracle birth, rendering his ideology obsolete.....so he seeks to eliminate it by killing Kal-El, which he may portray as an unholy abomination.

Hence..."You think your son is safe...?" "I will find him!", and essentially a Kryptonian Jihad launched by Zod.

We see that giant mecha 'Kraken' thing....that could be something that Zod launches as a weapon, but it goes out of control and ends up destroying the whole planet. So he escapes, or is protected by being caught and banished to the Phantom Zone, and eventually follows Kal-El to Earth to finish what he set out to do on Krypton: either possess his as an ally or kill him as a threat to their power.

On the other hand, I kinda' hope it isn't true because I just ruined the surprise. :oldrazz: Just some random musings.

Last edited:
The trailer in Latin American Spanish, for the curious ones. I think Superman's voice sounds amazing, I was fearing they were gonna get the same one from SR, which sounded a bit too "old and mature" for my taste.

[YT]BddCj2i5pRw&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

I like how the trailers have gradually built upon each other. each one revealing just a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"