All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm just too old to appreciate all these lens flares.... :)

Its a gimmick these days and I find it boring as hell, guess that’s what happen when something becomes overused. Then again I am lost on how you can convey incredible speed on screen without slow-mo, then again this is something the fx team should be able to figure out.

For my money, the Flash TV series had very nice and convincing super-speed FX.

But speeding up the movement of Superman without any slow motion actually does rob some of the power out of a scene.

Of course, this is done with lower-budget special effects (and awful music) but the scenes don't feel as dramatic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWTYBhWWSrY&feature=related

I think that the main thing that Snyder does very well with the slow motion is make scenes feel grand and dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELSGwz7xTmMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWv8xfl-xP8&feature=related

That scene is obviously supposed to be happening at a very high speed, but the slow motion helps to make it feel more dramatic, or Hollis Mason's death too for example, I don't think it would have felt as dramatic at full-speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJHIE8Na4s

Superman 200, I was referring to "The Flash" TV series that ran in the early '90s and not the "Smallville" appearances.

Just my opinion, but I think most of the people who complained about lens flares in Star Trek were just LOOKING for something to complain about.

I knew this annoying girl who went a ludicrous tirade on her blog about how she would never watch a JJ Abrams movie again because the lens flares gave her a splitting headache and made the entire movie utter agony. She also admitted to writing the movie off in the first five minutes because she found it SO unrealistic that people would give birth naturally in the future. :dry:

Just my opinion, but I think most of the people who complained about lens flares in Star Trek were just LOOKING for something to complain about.

I knew this annoying girl who went a ludicrous tirade on her blog about how she would never watch a JJ Abrams movie again because the lens flares gave her a splitting headache and made the entire movie utter agony. She also admitted to writing the movie off in the first five minutes because she found it SO unrealistic that people would give birth naturally in the future. :dry:

triple-facepalm.jpg

Superman 200, I was referring to "The Flash" TV series that ran in the early '90s and not the "Smallville" appearances.

There isn't much of it on YouTube, but from what I could find on it, the illusion of speed is well done, but I think the slow-motion conveys a sense of drama. I think that the slow-motion, when done right with the right music, feels like an opera while the sped up action shots feel like a heavy metal music video. The opera is slower, but more dramatic. The heavy metal can be more exciting though, but Snyder seems to make a lot of scenes that can be as dramatic as an opera and as exciting as a heavy metal concert.

There isn't much of it on YouTube, but from what I could find on it, the illusion of speed is well done, but I think the slow-motion conveys a sense of drama. I think that the slow-motion, when done right with the right music, feels like an opera while the sped up action shots feel like a heavy metal music video. The opera is slower, but more dramatic. The heavy metal can be more exciting though, but Snyder seems to make a lot of scenes that can be as dramatic as an opera and as exciting as a heavy metal concert.

Problem is for me at least if "300" and "Watchmen" featured super slo-mo FX and "MOS" features the same Snyder trademark........who is moving at super speed?... Spartans, Silk Spectre, or Superman....? :cwink:

No doubt it can be used for dramatic effect in small doses, but IMO Superman needs a prolific FX that translates to speed! and super slo mo doesn't cut it. Never cared for it's use in Six-Million Dollar Man either.

Last edited:

Yes it did. A very underrated and forgotten show.

[YT]ea9sq9jH60M[/YT]

That WAS a great show. Shame it didn't last. I still think that's one of the best superhero costume designs ever. How exactly did they make that suit? However they did it, I think more modern superhero films should use that method.

I didn't have a problem with the Lens Flare in Star Trek...but I did have a huge problem with it in Super 8. Talk about overused, that train crash scene was 1 big lens flare!

I had to Google "lens flare Star Trek" to know what effect people were exactly referring to. Now that I know what it is, I realize that I noticed it in Super 8, but didn't find it distracting. I just felt it enhanced the beauty of some of the images. I thought it didn't look bad at all. Great movie too, I loved the playful tone of it.

noticing the lack of any undies issues with the flash costume...

So who else bought [and loved] Action Comics #1 today?

Where would you find comics? At Barnes and Noble or something like that? I don't think I've seen a comic book store where I am. What little I have read I've bought on Amazon.com

Do you have iPad or iPod touch or anything similar?

Yes it did. A very underrated and forgotten show.

Still my6 favorite superhero translated to TV show. Heck, I rank it over many superhero movies. That show had everything going for it, great lead, great suit, awesome set design, great effects. When it first ran I recorded them all to tape, now I got the set on DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"