All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
One spoiler I did read about Diana:

There is a scene where she loses her cool and goes full rage mode on her enemies and kills a bunch.

Lawd.

I cant wait till folks complain about that. :oldrazz:

As one of the 'Batman shouldn't kill' brigade, I can safely say that if the scene, characterisation and writing justify it, then I have zero problems with Diana going ****ing ape**** and slaughtering a few fools. Different character, different philosophy.

Wonder Woman has never been averse to killing in the comics. The ones I have read anyway.

Ares figures :

U7Wb7or.jpg

r6Eli4m.jpg

:drl: Love the design.

If that scene is true than I can definitely see a bunch of Wonder Woman diehards taking issue with that scene. I don't have a problem with it, especially if it's justified. I'm so glad things are positive right now! I'm going to enjoy this atmosphere while it lasts lol

Edit: Ares looks amazing!!!! :)

Showing their should be last trailer in Logan is a mistake, imo. It's too early. Should show last trailer in April or early May. Probably Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

As for that spoiler that people might not like, I am all about that :db:

Thanks for using the spoiler tags guys. Don't wanna see it now. Will see it in all it's glory at the theaters but good to know that it looks cool. :up: :up:

If it's got good characterization, good editing, good plot, etc Wonder Woman will be fine.

That's what's been really hurting these movies more than the tone, especially the editing.

Logan is being hailed as one the darkest and bleakest cbms but it's getting rave reviews.

Gods bless you :woot:

You bastahs better take cover tho, that film will or has been spoiled already, if you where to look. Hell, one hype member with a site already ruined the villain reveal, but clicks is the name of the game, i suppose. smh.

If it's got good characterization, good editing, good plot, etc Wonder Woman will be fine.

That's what's been really hurting these movies more than the tone, especially the editing.

Logan is being hailed as one the darkest and bleakest cbms out their but it's getting rave reviews.
That's what bugged me about WB, after BvS, talking about how funny and light Justice League is going to be! Funny funny funny!

No! The problem with BvS was not tone. Changing the tone does not fix Lex's weirdness. Changing the tone does not fix the Martha scene. These are script issues.

I still don't understand the obsession people have with tone.

Tone does not make a movie good or bad. Never has, never will. WW could be the bleakest ****ing movie ever made and still be amazing, or it could be a laugh riot and be terrible.

BvS's problems aren't tonal. They're script, character, editing and story based.

The tone of WW - dark or light - does not matter to its quality. It's how they depict the characters and tell a story. That's what matters.

There's a bit of overlap and reciprocity, I think, between the tonal argument and both the character and story ones, and since the script is the story, then it's a variable relevant to all aspects of the production. Complaints about Batman's or Superman's characters, for example, tend to focus on their personality (e.g. introversion versus extroversion), which is different from character, and deviation from a presumed higher standard in terms of morality or optimism.

When criticisms are made about characterization, the rubric used is less about what makes a quality character and more about what makes a quality Superman or Batman with Superman and Batman placed on a pedestal where they cannot falter from a position of hope and righteousness, struggle, or really go through much change at all (i.e. they must adhere to the status quo), which is something that non-Superman and Batman characters are allowed. If flaws in Batman's or Superman's optimism or moral virtue render them "dark," and having dark characters creates a dark tone, and the script/story is what creates that narrative and those characters, then all of the elements you list are inextricably linked and dependent on one another with tone being the ultimate expression of them all. Accordingly, tone has become the most accurate and effective means of communicating dissatisfaction with the film.

When character complaints are expressed or when people engage in short hand explanations about the quality of these films or create memes, it's often boiled down to tonal issues. Articles, tweets, reviews, even comments about other versions, like Tyler Hoechlin's on Supergirl, place the most emphasis on the tone issue. Sure reviews and fan commentary today will still refer to other problems with the film, but the one that has more or less become the go-to in the media or in reviews of other films that make comparisons to BvS has been the tone argument. If the tonal issue isn't the primary issue, or if others are of equal importance, then I would say that critics have done a poor job conveying that.

It will, therefore, be interesting to see what kind of tone Wonder Woman actually has and see what kind of tone people are willing to accept with her character.

I am so tempted to read the spoilers out there but I don't Want to be spoiled lol Hera give me strength!! ;)

Ares figures :

U7Wb7or.jpg

r6Eli4m.jpg

:drl: Love the design.

Wow he looks good :hmr: much better than I anticipated. I'm really digging the helmet, it makes him look mighty evil already even without context.

It would be cool af, if Patty gets to make a WW trilogy. If this is good etc. Or bring in other female directors for the potential sequels etc.

That's a pretty fantastic combination of the classic Ares and the more organic New 52 design. Right down to the blue and black color scheme.ni

Nice work.

Last edited:
Didn't Wonder Woman just straight up behead Ares in the animated movie from 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"