All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there really is a way to recontextualize it. There's kind of no way of not ending on a dour, downbeat note when it has to sync up with the statement: "I walked away from mankind, from a century of horrors. Man made a world where standing together is impossible"

It's not entirely dour and downbeat if it just means that Diana views her role in Man's World as more of a secret guardian than a public champion. If she sees her own divinity as a potential source of strife for humanity, then her saving the world in the shadows in spite of her losses remains inspirational.

I wouldn't have a problem if she is Diana Prince in Man's World between then and BvS. I don't think they would have her don the WW costume in that time, would they? She can be hopeful as she helps the world as Diana Prince but not get involved in man's war as WW. Whatever the case, will have to wait to see how they explain it.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either. In fact, it's pretty much the way I've always hoped and believed Diana's statement in BvS would be contextualized in Wonder Woman. When she said she walked away from mankind because she didn't believe they could stand together, I think it is clear now that she meant she didn't believe god and man could stand side by side as partners. She could protect humanity and believe someday there might come a time when there could be an age of heroes, but after WWI and her battle with Ares, I think she decided playing a more distant role was the best path to take.

I will say that I do believe there is a bit of Anti-Snyder going on with all these reactions.

I truly believe critics wanted to love Suicide Squad as well. Its just the rushed script, editing, etc killed it for a lot of people.

I just hope the positive of Wonder Woman doesn't make the hate double down for Justice League. If they don't like it thats ok. Just hope they don't go in disliking it and not give it a fair chance.
Anti-Snyder, or anti-the movie he made? Because Snyder, whatever you think of him, didn't have the worst track record with critics outside Super Punch until BvS.

Mike Ryan‏Verified account
@mikeryan

Follow
More
Easily the best of the DCEU. And I liked MAN OF STEEL. It's part CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER and part "fish out of water" THOR 1.

Great. Two movies I found very meh that critics happened to like (like a a lot of those early Marvel films).

There is no way First Avenger or Thor 1 are close to as good as Man of Steel. Not better than BvS UE either imo.

Still excited. More importantly glad that its finally looking like a win for DC though.

i wasn't wild on thor but liked captain america.hopefuly wonder woman humor is more of fish out of water reactions and the diana and steve relationshi and not a darcy like comic relief character.

i always like humor better when it's more character based instead of throwing in character whose purpose is to just be there to crack jokes or to be alughed at.

I will say that I do believe there is a bit of Anti-Snyder going on with all these reactions. I'm sure they loved the movie, but no need to throw shots at Snyder just enjoy a great Wonder Woman film.

I truly believe critics wanted to love Suicide Squad as well. Its just the rushed script, editing, etc killed it for a lot of people.

I just hope the positive of Wonder Woman doesn't make the hate double down for Justice League. If they don't like it thats ok. Just hope they don't go in disliking it and not give it a fair chance.

Their mindset was fixed the moment Snyder was announced as the director.

Wow, this is surreal. What year is it?

With the positive buzz from these reactions, they don't need to lift it early. They're getting the buzz on their side already. All an early embargo lift would accomplish is make it even more conspicuous the next time that they don't (like, say, for Justice League).

Yep. Let social media create more buzz. No need to push out reviews just positive tweets and posts on web sites. Clickbait the hell out of this and keep pushing out commercials.

Adam B. Vary‏Verified account
@adambvary
A few more #WonderWoman thoughts: There's a *goodness* to Gal Gadot's WW missing from Henry Cavill's Superman. Makes a huge difference.

I don't trust their capacity for rational thought after they trashed BVS :oldrazz: :o

Haha! Fair enough. I'm just glad that it's looking like the first female led superhero film will be a hit on the big screens. And it's kind of neat that the debut is Wonder Woman. Future Wonder Woman remakes will look back to this movie for inspiration. That's pretty cool to think about. I can already read future posts after posts engaged in debate on the Hype, over which actress portrayed Wonder Woman better. Lol.

Man they're killing Snyder, saw one tweet blaming the low parts of the film on Snyder because somehow they know that he wrote that part smh

Wow, i feel bad for him

Good to hear those positive reactions for WW movie but what's with Snyder hate ?

Are those people 10 year olds ?

It sounds like these critics found the character traits they thought were missing from DCEU Superman in Gal's WW.

Man they're killing Snyder, saw one tweet blaming the low parts of the film on Snyder because somehow they know that he wrote that part smh

Wow, i feel bad for him
I too feel bad for the rich guy with the amazing wife. :o

Good to hear those positive reactions for WW movie but what's with Snyder hate ?

Are those people 10 year olds ?

Worse. They're critics in 2017. 10 year olds aren't nearly as petty and infantile

I'm not surprised at all about the reactions. I posted several times before that Jenkins is a legitimately very good director. It's just that many people did NOT watch her last feature film Monster as this is what I based my analysis on. So it's good to know that Jenkins still have that touch, she's always a much better director & writer than most of the directors today.

Likewise, I was never sceptical about Gadot, I was hoping for at a minimum a serviceable portray in what is basically an action/adventure film.

It's also good to have a different take in DCEU. Much better in term of attracting interest, now we have Wan with Aquaman, DCEU can expand the scope as originally planned from MOS.

That said, I'll wait until I have seen the film to form an opinion.

Alisha Grauso‏Verified account
@AlishaGrauso
Replying to @BatmanNewsCom @vinaldo7
Actually, the weakest parts of the film are the ones with his fingerprints on it.

@AlishaGrauso

Follow
More
Actually, the weakest parts of the film are the ones with his fingerprints on it.

They are completely delusional.

I meant his involvement in the film. No one will care that he cast Gal or helped with the story. Jenkins did it all.

Imagine if WB revealed it was actually Snyder who directed the movie :o

All the critics would do a 180

@AlishaGrauso

Follow
More

Ha. Watch them review JL with fresh, untainted goggles. :o It's like they go in ready to attack him.

I meant his involvement in the film. No one will care that he cast Gal or helped with the story. Jenkins did it all.

Snyder just needs to go back to smaller films like Dawn of the Dead. Its over.

Leave comic book films alone and carve out a niche elsewhere.

so it's basically a foregone conclusion that JL will sit at 27% on RT come November. Great...

Imagine if WB revealed it was actually Snyder who directed the movie :o

All the critics would do a 180

Omg dude. I was just thinking about this last year! What if WB releases a movie that receives critical and worldwide acclaim, under the name of a different director, and then reveals Snyder was the director. Man, I'd love to see how the critics would respond.

I think it would be because they are liking the movie because of an absence of what Snyder brought to his previous efforts in the DCEU. So why would you credit him?

I honestly do feel bad for him. It's like the poor guy can't catch a break.
He has caught a lot of breaks. Come on now. :funny:

Adam B. Vary‏Verified account
@adambvary
A few more #WonderWoman thoughts: There's a *goodness* to Gal Gadot's WW missing from Henry Cavill's Superman. Makes a huge difference.
Cavill's Superman is so good in MoS though. He's kind and gentle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"