BvS Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in high school when L&C came out. I wanted to love it..tead I ended up hating it more than Captain America is HATED by the Red Skull..... AND THAT'S ALOT.

I don't get how so many call SUPRMAN: THE MOVIE a campfest, but L&C was cool beans to them?

That's because it's SUPPOSED to be campy. From head to toe. I think it's fun and silly. I wouldn't quite say Lois was dim in that show so much as a bit over emotional.

That's because it's SUPPOSED to be campy. From head to toe. I think it's fun and silly. I wouldn't quite say Lois was dim in that show so much as a bit over emotional.

Yeah, but if you've listened to the commentary for S:TM the "camp/humor" in that film is supposed to be there, but it works and is also actually funny. It also does not drain the film of the action adventure superhero stuff either.

L&C was just BAD camp, and then it also wanted us to be invested in the characters and their relationship.

And again... As a 15 year old comic book fan chomping at the bit for a live action Superman show... it left much to be desired o many levels.

tumblr_n2bkf7UBY81ry8rcwo2_250.gif
Look, up in the sky. It's not a bird or a plane, it's Amy Adams. She's so cool and indeed, my pick for best Lois.

Yeah, but if you've listened to the commentary for S:TM the "camp/humor" in that film is supposed to be there, but it works and is also actually funny. It also does not drain the film of the action adventure superhero stuff either.

L&C was just BAD camp, and then it also wanted us to be invested in the characters and their relationship.

And again... As a 15 year old comic book fan chomping at the bit for a live action Superman show... it left much to be desired o many levels.

It wasn't really a live action Superman show though. That's why it was called Lois and Clark. Superman himself wasn't a big part of it, it was all about Clark and Lois. I mean what would you have expected? Supes fighting Darkseid and Brainiac etc? Sure it was cheap looking and soap opera-ish, but that was what they could do at the time. And it was immensely popular.

:up:

It wasn't really a live action Superman show though. That's why it was called Lois and Clark. Superman himself wasn't a big part of it, it was all about Clark and Lois. I mean what would you have expected? Supes fighting Darkseid and Brainiac etc? Sure it was cheap looking and soap opera-ish, but that was what they could do at the time. And it was immensely popular.

LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, was not supposed to be a live action Superman show? Got it. Must have been a huge mistake on my part to expect a Superman show with that name. And the characters featured in the title of the show.

LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, was not supposed to be a live action Superman show? Got it. Must have been a huge mistake on my part to expect a Superman show with that name. And the characters featured in the title of the show.

I think what they meant was that the persona of "Superman" wasn't the main focus of the series and that the main attraction for the show was the modern day portrayal of Lois's relationship with Clark Kent.

I think what they meant was that the persona of "Superman" wasn't the main focus of the series and that the main attraction for the show was the modern day portrayal of Lois's relationship with Clark Kent.

I'm going to have to take everyone's word that Lois and Clark's relationship on that show was "modern day" and not just a tongue in cheek parody of what a relationship actually is. :word:

I wouldn't call it romance...it was definitely light romantic comedy and doesn't hold up well over time. I prefer supes on the big screen with a large budget or in animation as opposed to the small screen. I agree that the romance is a big part of it, but I like it mixed with other stuff. The fact that superman can offer something to almost every viewer is what makes it less than ideal to limit him to romantic comedy.

It was a compelling romantic comedy due to the very good writing, acting, and chemistry. Let's not apologise for it just because Krypton didn't like it... it reached 20 million viewers a week at its zenith, and is thus the first or second most popular iteration of Superman ever made. It was one of those shows "everybody" talked about, of which most shows are not.

There are several great writing moments on that show. Here are some:

1) In one of the first few episodes, Lois says she likes authentic Chinese food, so Clark flies to China. In a follow-up episode a few seasons later, he gets her cheese from France after she said (unwittingly) that cheese tastes better in France. Her reception to the gesture is more lukewarm the second time because she's comfortable with Clark being Superman.

2) There's a "love perfume" episode in season 1, episode 5 or 6. Lois accidentally gets hit by the perfume and gravitates to Clark, not Superman. That's not expected. It sets the stage. She lusts for Superman, but she loves Clark, and in that sense the show is consistent in its writing.

3) Season 2 brings in Tempus and HG Wells in a tremendous episode. Tempus moves on to become one of the most interesting Superman villains, ever. They send Lois and Clark back in time and Lois first learns the secret before forgetting due to time travel. She rescues Superman from disappearance from the timeline and holds baby Clark. Hatcher successfully convinces that she is mesmerised by a beautiful baby.

The episode is also a fun reference to the brilliant 1960s movie "The Time Machine".

4) Season 2 finale, Lois finds out who Clark is in a romantic way that fits the show. She recognises that they both touch her face in the same way.

5) "Who's asking, Clark, or Superman?" becomes one of the most famous lines on television. It fits the character well, it fits the moment, and its witty.

6) Episode 3x02 or 3x03, Clark and Lois go campaign. Lois asks him not to use his superpowers for the weekend. He obliges. He then has trouble making a camp fire. She laughs and says "this is what I imagined a camping trip with Clark would be like".

7) Early in season 4, Lois and Clark find out they're not reproductively compatible. Lois cries. Clark says "I had sworn that I would never make you cry".

And so on and so fourth. It was great. I'll watch it again in a few years.

PS When Lois says "are we done measuring *****" at the start of MoS, she's saying a line that Goyer lifted from season 4 of Lois and Clark.

Last edited:
Yea, it really was a cultural phenomenon. Even over here in the UK it was always the most popular show on Saturdays. I remember those days fondly.

Yea, it really was a cultural phenomenon. Even over here in the UK it was always the most popular show on Saturdays. I remember those days fondly.

Heck YES. Loved watching it with my family. And when it wasn't on air, it was Due South instead. Good times :yay:

It was a compelling romantic comedy due to the very good writing, acting, and chemistry. Let's not apologise for it just because Krypton didn't like it... it reached 20 million viewers a week at its zenith, and is thus the first or second most popular iteration of Superman ever made. It was one of those shows "everybody" talked about, of which most shows are not.

1) In one of the first few episodes, Lois says she likes authentic Chinese food, so Clark flies to China. In a follow-up episode a few seasons later, he gets her cheese from France after she said (unwittingly) that cheese tastes better in France. Her reception to the gesture is more lukewarm the second time because she's comfortable with Clark being Superman.

2) There's a "love perfume" episode in season 1, episode 5 or 6. Lois accidentally gets hit by the perfume and gravitates to Clark, not Superman. That's not expected. It sets the stage. She lusts for Superman, but she loves Clark, and in that sense the show is consistent in its writing.

3) Season 2 brings in Tempus and HG Wells in a tremendous episode. Tempus moves on to become one of the most interesting Superman villains, ever. They send Lois and Clark back in time and Lois first learns the secret before forgetting due to time travel. She rescues Superman from disappearance from the timeline and holds baby Clark. Hatcher successfully convinces that she is mesmerised by a beautiful baby.

The episode is also a fun reference to the brilliant 1960s movie "The Time Machine".

4) Season 2 finale, Lois finds out who Clark is in a romantic way that fits the show. She recognises that they both touch her face in the same way.

5) "Who's asking, Clark, or Superman?" becomes one of the most famous lines on television. It fits the character well, it fits the moment, and its witty.

6) Episode 3x02 or 3x03, Clark and Lois go campaign. Lois asks him not to use his superpowers for the weekend. He obliges. He then has trouble making a camp fire. She laughs and says "this is what I imagined a camping trip with Clark would be like".

7) Early in season 4, Lois and Clark find out they're not reproductively compatible. Lois cries. Clark says "I had sworn that I would never make you cry".

PS When Lois says "are we done measuring *****" at the start of MoS, she's saying a line that Goyer lifted from season 4 of Lois and Clark.
Or he came up with the line on his own ,it happens, its a common phrase.
I liked the show, it had quite an online following back in the day .

My comments about it aren't just for Krypton's benefit. I wasn't that fond of much of it, but I agree it had some great moments, like the ones you listed, that made it worth watching.

LOIS & CLARK was a great show with terrible villains, other than Luthor, who was usually excellent.

The writing was generally good, the acting was solid, and even as a Superman mythology, it was fairly well done.

It's an entertaining blend of Golden Age storytelling and Byrne/early 90's era stories and concepts.

I was a kid when the show was on and I remember being greatly affected by a shirtless Clark.
I also recall that Lois in the cape became some kind of phenomenon.

LOIS & CLARK was a great show with terrible villains, other than Luthor, who was usually excellent.

The writing was generally good, the acting was solid, and even as a Superman mythology, it was fairly well done.

It's an entertaining blend of Golden Age storytelling and Byrne/early 90's era stories and concepts.

Personally, I think rather or not you like L&C or other earlier incarnations of Superman has more to do with age. It was a different age for some, so if you weren't there to view it in the time frame then it may seem corny or whatever. Lois and Clark was a very good show. It had some very funny moments and it did more to progress the relationship of Lois and Clark than any other show or medium about Superman. It also heavily influenced Smallville.

I watch L&C all the time on the Hub network and I own all the seasons on DVD. It still holds up well. The relationship between Hatcher and Cain worked. People who watch the show for Superman forget the show was "Lois and Clark". Clark Kent was the hero of that show, which is what I also liked. L&C showcased Clark more and defined him. L&C influenced the CK we have today.

Indeed. It was the first on screen medium to give us the billionaire power broker Lex Luthor.

I watch L&C all the time on the Hub network and I own all the seasons on DVD. It still holds up well. The relationship between Hatcher and Cain worked very well. People who watch the show for Superman forget that the show was "Lois and Clark". Clark Kent was the hero of that show, which is what I also liked. L&C showcased Clark more and defined him well.

Lane Smith was riotous as Perry White also.

Plus Eddie Jones and K Callan were the best Jon and Martha we've ever had on screen.

Lane Smith was riotous as Perry White also.

Plus Eddie Jones and K Callan were the best Jon and Martha we've ever had on screen.
:woot: Yep! Lane was a great White, and Jones and Callan were great together. All three of them had a lot of charm. They made the show fun to watch too.

Yea i remember Perry White being awesome.

Well i saw american hustle on DVD today. And I mean Amy and her cleavege was rocking
those outfits,and she was major league sexy.

I'm waiting to have that delivered by Netflix. I've heard a lot of good things about it, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I didn't really like it that much, but man was SHE SUPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HOT!

05hnc5c.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back