Ant-Man Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by spideymouse, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Oh yeah. Don't know why I havent thought of that myself! I like it

this.

2. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I'm sure this has been said before, but it randomly popped in my head that I'd love Ewan McGregor in the role.

3. Christopher_M

Christopher_M League of Shadows

[​IMG]

My theory that Benedict Cumberbatch is indeed in the running for Ant-Man not Strange.. Edgar Wright shot an action scene featuring Ben in Star Trek Into Darkness.. is best pals with Martin Freeman (casting him in three films, Ben co-stars with Freeman in Sherlock/Hobbit Trilogy), Peter Jackson (Joe and Edgar co-wrote Tintin with Moffatt, with Peter producing) and Sherlock's Steven Moffatt..Steven and Ben visited the Marvel offices a while back and posed with Avengers standees... plus Ben recently visited Edgar during the editing of World's End when he was rumored to be taking early meetings with potential actors for Ant-Man.. a little more concrete than Armie Hammer I have to say..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

Hammer's rumor has no stock whatsoever.

Cumberbatch I can see as Ant-Man or even a villain. I do think he is involved in the movie as I also don't think he's Doctor Strange.

5. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Cumberbatch seems wasted on Ant-Man. It'd be like bringing in RDJ to play Electro. Sure, you *could* do that, and he'd do a good job. . . but why would you bother?

6. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Hank Pym = Electro? Nah, not even close.

7. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

No, I think that's an accurate point. The fact is, just because Cumberbatch is a great actor does not mean he'd make a great Pym. Think of Cumberbatch's best acting traits, his commanding voice, his theatricality... Those seem much more suited to other characters, like Strange or a villain... I feel that Pym needs somewhat more of an everyman. He's a scientist but he's not the egotist that is Stark, he's more down to earth but a little highly strung. As metaphysician said, sure Cumberbatch COULD do Pym but if he's not the perfect choice, why cast him? Just because he's good? There are dozens of good actors in Hollywoods, and great ones too.... But Marvel have had a great track record so far with picking actors with nice qualities that shine through in their characters... I think this casting would be a misstep.

8. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Ben as Hank would be a great addition, imho. Pym's a complex character who requires a complex actor. I think Cumberbatch would make the character more interesting than he is even in the comics, an antihero in the midst of all these superheroes. And I still love the idea of Pym as a Brit, to give the Avengers a more global roster. And Ben is definitely an actor who can hold his own and get in the face of RDJ (unlike Evans, Hemsworth, Renner, Ruffalo, and even Scarjo, all of whom seemed dwarfed by Tony's larger-than-life personality).

Plus, ChristopherM's rationale in the post above sold me. :)

9. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Cumberbatch needs to be weary of becoming a caricature or getting type cast for particular roles. While I agree he'd seem a homerun as Strange or a villain I feel Pym would be a more interesting choice and not a waste. Pym is extremely complex with all his insecurities and passive aggressive traits in tow. The character can be really interesting in the hands of one such as Cumby.

10. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

I just don't think he's right. If any British actor would be good, I'd have said perhaps a younger Colin Firth. Richard Armitage would have been good too if he wasn't already wasted.

11. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Has he even played a character that wasnt good at everything and so beyond everybody else?

12. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

13. jaqua99

I think he can pull it off. But the thing that keeps me on this bandwagon is that slight possibility of maybe having the actor who plays pym, Voice Ultron...which, after seeing star trek, I can't think of any better voice for Ultron

14. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

:up:

15. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

16. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

THAT is great Pym casting. That is so much more suited to Pym than Cumberbatch.

[​IMG]

I just don't see Cumberbatch playing the same type of insecure, vulnerable scientist. Cumberbatch is more brooding and intense... Sure, he could probably just pull off Pym but if he's not the PERFECT choice, if it's not the kind of role perfectly suited for him, WHY bother casting him at all? It's just lazy fan casting, in my opinion. It's like when people suggest Johnny Depp for EVERYTHING. Or Leonardo Di Caprio... They're immensely talented actors, it's got to be about more than ability.

I mean look at Chris Hemsworth... There are loads of other actors more experienced and talented than him... But there's something about him that embodies the character. That's what they need for EVERY marvel character.

17. Majik1387

Eckhart as Ant-Man rumor and Jospeh Gordon-Levitt as Dr. Strange rumor?

Get them Marvel. :o:cwink:

18. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Eckhart would indeed be pretty awesome.

19. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I actually find Cumberbatch as a villain or Strange to be lazy fan casting.

20. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

I agree. My pick is still probs David Tennant for Strange and I'm well behind Eckhart.

21. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I like Eckhart but I have a hard time picturing him in a Edgar Wright movie. Feige said Ant-Man is very much in Edgar's style and I struggle to see Eckhart fitting in that style.

It is probably going to an actor none of us even thought of like RDJ, Chris Hesmworth or Chris Pratt who were not names that came up in casting threads much.

22. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

I almost think Eckhart would be the better Strange and JGL could be an interesting Pym or Lang.

23. Majik1387

Nah, I don't think Eckhart couldn't pull off Dr Strange.

24. jaqua99

I like THAT

I like Eckhart better, but I really, REALLY like Cumberbatch is Ultron..like, I think I would like it more than RDJ

Haven't heard this one?

25. Bert

Bert Well-Known Member

Just my two cents I think Armie Hammer is a fantastic choice, and after Lone Ranger underperforming he isn't going to get too expensive. Go get him, Marvel!