Ant-Man Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by spideymouse, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

technically, we don't know that Lang will even be in the movie. the latest news is that Hank Pym is Ant-man.

2. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

no, latest news is that he's in this movie

3. Sockie

Sockie Well-Known Member

This. A lot of people don't seem to realize that Pym being in the movie doesn't contradict anything we've heard about it. >.>

4. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I've noticed that with a lot of statements. Similarly, the Whedon interview doesn't say Pym is not in Avengers 2. It doesn't even say Pym doesn't create Ultron. All it says, is that you don't *need* Pym to create Ultron, you can do him other ways.

( Mind, I tend to think Ultron won't be created by Pym, but the interview is hardly incontravertible proof )

5. jaqua99

Actually, what whedon said, was "You don't need A Pym to create AN Ultron"....my idea...(especially if Pym is in the flashbacks) is that pym may have designed this AI at some point, which slowly becomes prominent prior to avengers 2...and it manipulated Stark, and the avengers into building him a new body, making it essentially THEIR problem..perhaps pym is dead?

Either way, the whole..A Pym, An Ultron...seems like a sort of play on words

6. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I'm pretty sure Whedon stated that Ultron comes from the current Avengers and directly said Pym is not in A2.

7. jaqua99

he said it's an origin story, and that he sort of comes from the avengers. If this dormant ai, once killed hank, then there is no hank for avengers 2. meanwhile Ultron doesn't have a body, until the avengers make him a problem in avengers 2?

8. Joanna

Joanna New Member

A guy like Joss Whedon isn't unclear with his wording for nothing. It was a choice to be ambiguous. He is not wanting to give anything away yet.

But re Pym's age, an_ewok,
    . If Pym is the 60's superhero, how would his age now be supposed to be around 50? He would have to be 70'ish, surely, not 50'ish, to make original origin congruent. Would they do that? And how old is Lang best guessed to be supposed to be now? Mid 20's?

9. Ant-manic

Scott Lang is middle-aged as of his current appearances in Fraction's FF. i'm not sure how old he was when he became Ant-Man. casting for Pym would, logically, be for someone who is active enough to be Ant-Man in flashbacks (if they go that route).

10. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

It's not my idea, but I do remember someone suggesting Harrison Ford for Hank Pym if they were still going with him being an older character. And I don't think he'd be a bad choice.

11. Ant-manic

he's definately Hank-like. i've always thought that Tony Goldwyn (last samurai) kind of looks like an older version of Pym.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  12. Jumpin' Jack

Jumpin' Jack Zero Gravity

For some reason it annoys me way too much that Tony Stark is going to create Ultron and Pym won't be in TA2. I understand Iron Man brings in the big bucks but I thought they would've at least kept faithful to story lines and origins... I don't understand why the won't follow it? I mean introduce Pym in Avengers 2 and then explore his back story in Ant-Man but it seems like both Wright and Whedon have decided to not cooperate between each other and create something cohesive...

Any way for casting choices I quite like Ewan McGregor since I think he could pull of both the scientific nature of Pym but also the slight *****iness and cockiness which comes with the character.

13. Ant-manic

seems pretty cohesive to me. Whedon hasn't interfered with Wright's story. Wright's story hasn't interfered with Whedon's.

14. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Look up a words definition first before trying to use it.

15. Ant-manic

you're one to talk

16. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Lol. At least my sentence wasn't a big fail like yours.

17. Ant-manic

i can't wait until high schools reopen.

18. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Yeah. It sure looks like you need to hit the books a little harder.

19. Jumpin' Jack

Jumpin' Jack Zero Gravity

But the thing is they're dealing with the same character here... I feel there should be some connection between the two, because I'm sure the director's have both different ideas. It's not like Quicksilver who's going to be in two different movies and can be different since there in different "universes". I don't know it just slightly bothers me, that Hank Pym won't be the creator of Ultron therefore a massive part of his history will be missing since it's crucial to the character and makes Hank who he is someone who feels constantly guilty for what he has done.

20. Ant-manic

if you want to talk Ant-man, i'm happy to do that. otherwise, stop wasting my time. L

21. Ant-manic

i'm not sure what you're talking about. Wright isn't dealing with Ultron. and Whedon isn't dealing with Pym. we don't yet know what the connection will be, between the two movies; if anything.

fair enough. your interpretation is valid. mine is that Pym did not need the guilt over creating Ultron. i think a character who is constantly guilty over something is kind of cliche. what separated Pym from the others (initially) was his willingness to apply the scientific method to unsolved crime. he's a scientist first and an adventurer second. there wasn't a lot of punching problems to solve them, in those Tales to Astonish stories. i think there's a bigger story in him being kind of recluse who begrudgingly puts on a costume because it's a means to an end; justice.

22. jaqua99

A completely unnecessary argument caused by you. lol, things like these make me laugh, cause it reminds me of the faucet argument between Vinny and Lisa in My Cousin Vinny lol

23. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Lol. Not really if you look at my first post. cwink:

24. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

25. Ant-manic

sweeet! not sure why he's pointing to the Irredeemable Ant-Man, though. that seems to happen a lot with the news story about this movie.