Arrow Arrow Season 3 Episode 13 "Canaries" discussion thread

I wonder why they just didn't use a flavorless poison. I would hope the League of Assassins were better than that.

Tradition? :cwink:
Seriously I kind of agree. Cyanide has been used quite bit in various stories over the years, and it almost always gets detected (sometimes too late ...) because of it's distinctive odor. I suspect it's used mostly as a plot device, to further the story because of it's detectability.

Last edited:
:

So they were having sex and afterwards he poors in some red wine. And she goes: Hang on, I was told once that red wine can disguise the smell of cyanide, and I totally don't smell any now, therefore you must want to poison me. Because clearly any guy offering red wine is suspicious...

Well she pretty much explained that Merlyn trained her to detect it. But i'm also sure the fact that she knows The League is coming for her might have had her subconscious give an assist on that one.

I really don't think she can. It's Katie Cassidy, I don't think she's pulling this off. Maybe with a different actress I'd be more onboard with Laurel but not with her.

FEc8OSM.jpg

Well, Katie is in better shape than the ladies of your avatar Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker. ;)

She was also a badass in Supernatural as Ruby. Once Laurel starts training with swords and learn more "ninja moves", she will become a great fighter, is part of her journey. Willa Holland (Thea) is another story, she's still too skinny to be believable, hopefully she will get in better shape once Thea starts fighting crime with Team Arrow.

FEc8OSM.jpg

Well, Katie is in better shape than the ladies of your avatar Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker. ;)

She was also a badass in Supernatural as Ruby. Once Laurel starts training with swords and learn more "ninja moves", she will become a great fighter, is part of her journey. Willa Holland (Thea) is another story, she's still too skinny to be believable, hopefully she will get in better shape once Thea starts fighting crime with Team Arrow.

They aren't doing fistfights, they're using guns. Also not what I was referring to. I don't mean her physically, as she clearly is putting in effort there, I mean her acting.

Hmm? Sorry, the link's not showing whatever you're intending to share. It's just the bar with the play button, where the progress would be and the audio.

EDIT: Weird, clicked it again and it worked. Odd. It was a good scene, probably her best on this show, but on the whole she's just not doing it for me. I'm not sure how to explain it or pinpoint exactly what but she's just not clicking with me.

Last edited:
I think Laurel might be my favorite female character on the show right now.

I think, on paper, she's probably the best at this point. I mean compared to Felicity who's just around for love triangles and Thea who's just not making any sense, at least she has a direction. But, again, Cassidy isn't clicking with me. For those who do like her in the role, I'm glad you do but personally she's just not working for me for reasons I struggle to put into words.

I agree about Cassidy, and I think for all of us it's just one of those weird things where you can like or dislike a person for entirely silly reasons that are not really able to be put into words and are not at all based on logic. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

It's kinda the same way that an actress like Willa that clicks will get undue forgiveness from me even though I cognitively know her writing is really sketchy - I do however think that while the sword stuff looks awesome, she is entirely unconvincing at hand to hand combat, so I hope that either they fix it or incorporate it into the character (I'm completely OK with the idea of a hero that is amazing with weapons but too weak to win without them)

Am I the only one who hates Roy's character? He came across as a moron when he was telling Oliver to not raise voice against Thea. Plus, I believe the writing was bad if they wanted to show difference in the team, because other than the Thea scene, they didn't really have any disagreement in the episode. Felicity and Digg saying that they thought Oliver was dead, lol, come on, it was only about 2 months Oliver was gone, and more than half of that time they didn't believe Oliver was dead. So yeah, in 2 or 3 weeks they became different ppl with different ways of fighting crime, I am not buying that. Also, their argument fails because 1) Oliver owns the nightclub (or was it Thea, not so sure) 2) Oliver has the most experience 3) Oliver is obviously the most skilled among them so its pretty logical that he calls the shot. I blame the writers for this.

^^ You're not the only one, a lot of people don't like Roy, either because Colton Haynes is weak as an actor and/or the characterization has not been great so far, especially in the first half of the season, when he barely had any lines. In the last few episodes he had more to do, but he lacks a strong personality, if Thea says Malcolm is not that bad, he agrees with her, now that she hates him again, Roy too, WTF!! The writers have to define him better, show us more of his past or relations outside Team Arrow, he needs more character development and depth.

I don't usually care for Roy, but I'm slowly starting to warm up to him. Still would 't care at all if he died, though.

Am I the only one who hates Roy's character? He came across as a moron when he was telling Oliver to not raise voice against Thea. Plus, I believe the writing was bad if they wanted to show difference in the team, because other than the Thea scene, they didn't really have any disagreement in the episode. Felicity and Digg saying that they thought Oliver was dead, lol, come on, it was only about 2 months Oliver was gone, and more than half of that time they didn't believe Oliver was dead. So yeah, in 2 or 3 weeks they became different ppl with different ways of fighting crime, I am not buying that. Also, their argument fails because 1) Oliver owns the nightclub (or was it Thea, not so sure) 2) Oliver has the most experience 3) Oliver is obviously the most skilled among them so its pretty logical that he calls the shot. I blame the writers for this.

I can't say I hate Roy because that would be having any kind of emotional response towards him. The most I can say about him is that he exists. If he were to die, I wouldn't shed a tear.

I think Laurel is going to be a solo hero when she have more training as I don't think she will work with Oliver and Roy who are already partners. She could join them occasionally but not all the time

I really liked this episode. They have executed the Canary arc well and I am looking forward to what they can do with the Laurel character in the future. I also liked the fact that this episode was sort of a watershed one -- taking care of 3 recurring plotlines that had started to tread water.

Overall, a nice way to cap off this middle segment of the season (eps 9-13). I would give it an 8/10

Thea was hot this episode walking around with her bare legs and feet. I was actually surprised by her reaction to Ollie's revelation though and wondered if she was actually mad inside but just faking it and that she might turn in him soon.
Wasn't she upset that he had lied to her all this time?

And if Det Lance knew that the Canary was Laurel, did he know that she was faking Sara's voice before when he thought he spoke to her in the alley?

And if he could figure that out, then can't he figure out that the Arrow is Ollie? Why would he maintain the ignorance of not knowing now?

I think this was my least favorite episode of the season - nothing about the canaries story line intrigues me, Felicty seems to get more and more ruined every episode by just making her whine, which is a real shame because I loved her the first season and most of second.

Laurel is still blah.

Overall I think this may have been my least favorite episode of arrow, the beginning scene of Ollie/Laurel talking about being a "hero" was TERRIBLY executed, and Laurel (or actress) just comes off as stuck-up. I'm usually not one to rant, but tons of misses this episode. Hoping it bounces back as on the flip-side I thought flash episodes was on point!

And if Det Lance knew that the Canary was Laurel, did he know that she was faking Sara's voice before when he thought he spoke to her in the alley?

And if he could figure that out, then can't he figure out that the Arrow is Ollie? Why would he maintain the ignorance of not knowing now?

I don't think Lance thinks Laurel has been running around this entire time, just during the battle.

And i think he just isn't interested in the Arrows identity, he accepts him as a hero and doesn't need or want any answers. Though looks like that may be changing in the future.

Thea was hot this episode walking around with her bare legs and feet. I was actually surprised by her reaction to Ollie's revelation though and wondered if she was actually mad inside but just faking it and that she might turn in him soon.
Wasn't she upset that he had lied to her all this time?

Here a Thea barefoot webm http://a.pomf.se/anxmvh.webm

Loved this episode, it had nice character moments, the plot moved forward, the action sequences were good, they finallt got rid of the "let's not tell Quentin his daugther died even though he has all the right to know" storyline, Thea knows the truth about Oliver, and that DJ guy is six feet under. Really good episode.

Maybe that DJ guy can come back as the new Peter Parker in the MCU. :o :p

firstly, yet another creative opportunity to have Roy shine again, squandered. First when he did that flip off the car only to be put down by nyssa(ok I guess that made sense).
Then when the green arrow is dead and the city needs a new arrow. I suppose he did something but it could have been framed far clearer, just seemed his usual ineffective self. Now when he's up against Thea's evil boyfriend! I thought for sure all season this would be it. But he just get's slapped twice falls on his face..etc. I mean come on already.

Anyways, can anyone tell me why thea is all of a sudden against Merlyn so fiercely. Surely it's not simply because she knows her brothers secret? Ignoring how much she supposedly hates lairs and this was the mother of all lies her brother pulled off. Just what does she know about Malcom now that she didn't 5 minus prior? I feel like I'm missing something.
I mean I get how she could turn on him if she found out about the Sarah situation....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"