Batman and Robin Serial (1949) on DVD

CConn

Fountainhead of culture.
Reaction score
http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=2432

timduncanishorny.gif

Hmm.. Ive seen a few of those on TMC TCM cant remember which.

Oh man, ever since jabootu.com lampooned those serials I've wanted to see it. I believe this is one full of racial slurs and Batman driving around in Bruce's car, right? So wrong, but yet so funny...

You have to applaud Columbia. No matter how bad the content is, that's a damn cool-lookin' DVD...

batmanandrobin1.jpg

David Ford said:
Oh man, ever since jabootu.com lampooned those serials I've wanted to see it. I believe this is one full of racial slurs and Batman driving around in Bruce's car, right? So wrong, but yet so funny...
I think that's the one from '43...sadly. :(

David Ford said:

NOPE, You are thinking of the 1943 THE BAT-MAN serial.
It's the one with J. Carrol Nash as Dr. Daka and Lewis Wilson as Batman... it's full of very colorful and by today's standards not too "PC" racial slurs. It's be redited over the years to remove the voice over "...the yellow slanted eye'd hordes" - My guess is that's why it hasn't seen a decent DVD release.
It's also a better made serial than the 1949 Batman & Robin and features a better looking bat-suit.

Both feature a 'batmobile' which is nothing more than a color-changing 40's sedan that Alfred drives the dou around in as they change into the capes & cowls... it's all great fun!

A studio would have to be KER-RAZY to release a DVD called 'Batman & Robin'. They should have retitled it.

I feel the cover will be a bit misleading for most people (I know it says "The 1949 movie serial"...but the general public looks at pictures not words)....the cover is nice and flashy, but should have been photos from the actual serial.

I have both serials on VHS tape...had been planning to transfer them over to DVD, but will wait now.

C. Lee said:
I feel the cover will be a bit misleading for most people (I know it says "The 1949 movie serial"...but the general public looks at pictures not words)....the cover is nice and flashy, but should have been photos from the actual serial.

I have both serials on VHS tape...had been planning to transfer them over to DVD, but will wait now.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...they're probably trying to trick people into buying it. :o

i have these on vhs, i'm glad they're putting them on dvd now. i'm always afraid the vhs would start to decline in quality.

That's my biggest gripe about some cheaper DVDs....I hate seeing a box for a movie, and know that the picture on the cover is NOT from the movie being sold.

SHADOWBAT69 said:
i have these on vhs, i'm glad they're putting them on dvd now. i'm always afraid the vhs would start to decline in quality.
That's why I bought a DVD recorder...I'm transferring as many old tapes over as I can.

Kevin Roegele said:
You have to applaud Columbia. No matter how bad the content is, that's a damn cool-lookin' DVD...

batmanandrobin1.jpg

I really like this 49 Batsuit it's cool. :batman:

Classic, I've always wanted to see these as I've read and heard a fair bit about them. Hopefully the 1943 one is coming out on DVD too.

Hopefully it will still cost a nickel!

Hey guys....These look interesting. Do you think they are worth getting?

I looked at some screen shots and im wondering whether or not i should buy this. i'm strapped for cash right now and i still have to buy... Batman: Dark Victory by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb, Batman TAS Volume Two, and a Taste of Chaos Tour concert ticket. man why o why do i have to be so obsessed with Batman?

Comic Book Boy said:
Hey guys....These look interesting. Do you think they are worth getting?
It's probably quite bad...but I'll still end up buying it. :o

Supermaniac said:
I looked at some screen shots and im wondering whether or not i should buy this. i'm strapped for cash right now and i still have to buy... Batman: Dark Victory by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb, Batman TAS Volume Two, and a Taste of Chaos Tour concert ticket. man why o why do i have to be so obsessed with Batman?
If you short on funds, I'd definitely put off buying it...

Supermaniac said:

I think it's worth buying for nostalgia value and to have a look back in time at a part of Batman's history. I imagine the story won't be the strongest but it would be good for a laff. You have until the end of March to save for it.

I've heard there are old Captain America serials as well.

EXCELSIOR said:
NOPE, You are thinking of the 1943 THE BAT-MAN serial.
It's the one with J. Carrol Nash as Dr. Daka and Lewis Wilson as Batman... it's full of very colorful and by today's standards not too "PC" racial slurs. It's be redited over the years to remove the voice over "...the yellow slanted eye'd hordes" - My guess is that's why it hasn't seen a decent DVD release.
It's also a better made serial than the 1949 Batman & Robin and features a better looking bat-suit.

Both feature a 'batmobile' which is nothing more than a color-changing 40's sedan that Alfred drives the dou around in as they change into the capes & cowls... it's all great fun!
Gotcha. This still sounds like good fun. I'd love to see of the insane, poorly-scripted stuff from these serials.

I believe I saw the '43 serials as a kid. I remember an old B&W shot of the bat crashing through Bruce's study. For some reason, the scene in "Batman Forever" where Bruce and Dick get thier costume from the car outisde the party reminded me of that film. Maybe I'm just batty.

Supermaniac said:
I looked at some screen shots and im wondering whether or not i should buy this.

Those screen shots you saw where they the ones posted on SHH or different ones?

Does anyone know of any other images kicking around of the serial? Thanks.

This art makes it looks like kind kind of Batman movies I WISH were made in the 40s. It looks totally cool.

However, I know that it was pretty crappy, but I will probably pick it up for curiosity's sake. Pity they aren't "and probably won't" release the first serial.

I hope the release the Kirk Alyn Superman too... if they're doing Batman, there's no reason to think they won't do Superman. I do know they're doing the Reeves TV show.

A quick google search will turn up pictures from the Batman serial if you want to see what I reall looked like. Answer: not as cool as the art makes out.

lujho said:
This art makes it looks like kind kind of Batman movies I WISH were made in the 40s. It looks totally cool.

However, I know that it was pretty crappy, but I will probably pick it up for curiosity's sake. Pity they aren't "and probably won't" release the first serial.

I hope the release the Kirk Alyn Superman too... if they're doing Batman, there's no reason to think they won't do Superman. I do know they're doing the Reeves TV show.

A quick google search will turn up pictures from the Batman serial if you want to see what I reall looked like. Answer: not as cool as the art makes out.

I wonder when we will get this DVD in Australia. (just noticed your in Adelaide as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"