BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
85m less than tdkr but far more than the dark knight which is impressive considering alla the doubts about the marketing and the cast. In any case the ww box office performance is comparable or superior to many blockbusters: iron man, the winter soldier, even star wars episode 3 etc.

You are right since Batman Begins and Superman Retuns, 2 Batman movies topped 1b and a Superman movie did 650m. And exactly for this reason 1) a BvS able to do more of TDK overseas is an impressive result and 2) people should start to recognize Snyder's role in relaunching DCU.
In this forum I read so many times "Snyder ruined Superman" and "MOS will hurt BvS opening week end". I saw a different story.
I still don't see any evidence that a Batman and Superman movie would have been an easy 1b movie, expecially because Nolan's trilogy was a different story. We all love sh movies and we know very well how difficult is rebooting a franchise: You would have been right probably with Christian Bale playing Batman in BvS.
All considered BvS has been a vere successful sh movie. The problem with legs IMO is because of the dark and dramatic tone of Miller's TDKR and The Death of Superman stories. A lighter tone would have helped for sure.
We will see how JL and Suicide Squad will perform.

....Wow. Sure, there's absolutely zero evidence WB expected this to break $1b.
The fact that MCU has done it repeatedly or the last 2 Nolan films did (although the 3rd was a turkey, it cashed in on the goodwill and anticipation from Ledger).
The record spend on marketing was completely unjustified for a sub $1b movie.
We have the holy Trinity of all Comicdom in 1 movie for the first time in history.
Even a mediocre movie should have smashed past $1b.
Brand recognition and the hype alone should have it guaranteed.
The OW shows how highly anticipated this movie was and how badly people want it. Extrapolation of that OW shows an easy path to $1b, without the near record drop-offs that show, once the truth about the movie was out, it headed downward in a way that's only matched by movies that were not well regarded by movies or audiences.
WB either got lazy and thought it was a lock, or stupid and thought Snyder would change.
Only a truly awful movie can tank this hard, this fast.
Friday to Friday, it's now dropped over 98% since it opened!!!
A good movie with Batman and Superman could have challenged a Cameron movie.
Should have.
Some predicted it would.
But it is true that a Snyder DCEU movie will never make more than half of what it should.
I wanted it to.
I was convinced that the feedback from MoS would have shown Zack the error of his ways, but he just doubled down and compounded it.
Now that audience anticipation bubble has burst.
No-one is going to line up to see how badly Zack can mis-characterise the rest of the characters.
Everybody keeps pointing out how Snyders Lex was more Joker/Riddler, but he did have a proper Lex Luthor in there, with all of the justifications that Lex has publicly espoused for wanting to end Superman.
It was just the other Billionaire.
Snyder's real Lex wore a Batsuit and decided that anyone with that level of power needs to go as they represent too great a threat (to his sovereignty).
The whole 1% speech was classic Silver/Bronze age Lex justification of his actions.
So what can we expect from a Snyder JL? An Aquaman that acts more like Orm?
A Green Lantern that acts like (original) Sinestro?
Cyborg that's already Grid?
Unless JL is a truly exceptional movie that appeals across the board and gets an early critical reception that supports that (like CA:CW), it won't have anything like BvS's OW or eventual BO.
If WB keep a review embargo like they did for BvS, people will be highly suspicious and wait, which will have a negative impact on the OW anyway.
Even if we buy into the argument that the GA have short memories, the press won't forget.
For every new trailer or positive piece of PR, there will be another one reminding us all about what happened with BvS.
There's blood in the water now.
But you just keep on clutching your Superman Blankie tight around your shoulders and keep whispering "it's just as good as MCU, it was a big success, Snyder's a great friend to the DCEU".
Zack's got a nice cup of Kool-Aid just for you, the faithful...

Oh and just for the record?
There is nothing of TDKR or Death of Superman here, apart from a ton of visuals and a handful of stolen lines some names. Story, characterisation etc is completely different.

Last edited:
There is nothing of TDKR or Death of Superman here, apart from a ton of visuals and a handful of stolen lines some names. Story, characterisation etc is completely different.

Who'd have thought snyder would have it in him to not produce a slavish panel by panel adaptation. Probably for the best.

Yeah, but the killer is this: 'Ant-Man 2' will probably outgross JL based on the goodwill (and bad will) from the first movies. Especially because apparently Ant-Man is rumored to steal a major scene in 'Civil War'.

This is how it's done, WB. Have faith in your characters. Build a creative team based on their rigorous understanding and appreciation of the characters' central appeal. And then... Profit.

You idiots.

:up:

China note for those still keeping score:

China Box Office ‏@ChinaBoxOffice 13h13 hours ago
BATMAN V SUPERMAN ended its month long China run on Sunday with ¥619M ($95.15M).

Yeah, but the killer is this: 'Ant-Man 2' will probably outgross JL based on the goodwill (and bad will) from the first movies. Especially because apparently Ant-Man is rumored to steal a major scene in 'Civil War'.

This is how it's done, WB. Have faith in your characters. Build a creative team based on their rigorous understanding and appreciation of the characters' central appeal. And then... Profit.

You idiots.

Doubtful.

This is like George Lucas and the SW Prequels.

JL will do fine box office wise. It will be another front-loaded Snyder film with poor reception and poor legs.

Front-loaded because the trailers and marketing will hype the fanboys up and make them come back for more disappointment.

China is the only reason BvS beat Deadpool. At this point, it is far, far from doubtful that a sequel to a well received movie will do better than a sequel to a, feeling generous, movie with mixed reactions.

JL will do fine box office wise. It will be another front-loaded Snyder film with poor reception and poor legs.

Front-loaded because the trailers and marketing will hype the fanboys up and make them come back for more disappointment.

This is one dumbass fanboy that won't be in the cinema, regardless of what the trailers look like. If enough of us, and more importantly the GA, have the same attitude: $600 - $700 WW box office.

You must not remember a little film called Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded was so bad it directly affected Matrix Revolutions box office, same thing in this case...

Deadpool 2 will probably out gross JL if it has 3D next time.

This is one dumbass fanboy that won't be in the cinema, regardless of what the trailers look like. If enough of us, and more importantly the GA, have the same attitude: $600 - $700 WW box office.

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. Let's wait till the trailers and the SDCC press comes out. They call this place the Superhero 'Hype' for a reason.

Even after the disappointing mess of MOS, people were still riding the BVS hype train hard.

You must not remember a little film called Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded was so bad it directly affected Matrix Revolutions box office, same thing in this case...

Matrix didn't involve characters with 75+ years of pop culture history.

Doubtful.
The Avengers bump saw IM3 gross 95% more than IM2, TDW finish 43% higher than Thor, and TWS do 93% better than CA. Right now it looks like Civil War is going to do Avengers numbers and so I think it is reasonable to assume Ant-Man will receive a similar Avengers bump (especially if he really does steal a scene or two in CW). Ant-Man did $519M, so if you use the “average” Avengers bump for Ant-Man, its sequel will cross $900M.

Now that seems a bit high but $800M doesn’t seem unrealistic (which is kind of crazy statement for an Ant-Man movie but I stand by it). BvS is looking to finish around $875M and I also don’t think it is unreasonable to guess a Snyder JL movie may not set the box office on fire. For much of the GA, they’ve been fooled twice already; the OW is thus likely going to be lower than BvS. My conclusion: Ant-Man and the Wasp outgrossing JL seems plausible.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that it assumes fanboys drive OW numbers. Certainly they contribute a healthy portion but for BvS to start with $166M, it had to draw in huge number of GA members. I don’t think JL has the luxury of assuming the GA will show up after having been disappointed by MoS and BvS. Also, whether it is a success or not has a lot to do with how much WB is going to spend on it; that number could be enormous.

China is the only reason BvS beat Deadpool. At this point, it is far, far from doubtful that a sequel to a well received movie will do better than a sequel to a, feeling generous, movie with mixed reactions.

I’m getting really sick of hearing this. Yes, BvS is doing very poorly and Deadpool is doing very well. However, Deadpool was never going to be released in China (and even if it had, it really isn’t their cup of tea). Everyone involved made the very intentional decision to forgo the Chinese market. If it had released in China, the world would have gotten a PG-13 Deadpool which I don’t think would have done as well in other markets (and thus still finished behind BvS).

In short, I think this line of comparison between BvS and DP is useless. (Domestic on the other hand is pretty telling.)

BvS couldn't do TDKR for the simple fact that Superman is a government tool and fans wouldn't be able to root for Superman or give him the benefit of the doubt. They had to introduce the "Martha" effect to make you feel for Superman.

I watched the TDKR animated movie last weekend. In terms of Batman vs. Superman movies, it's 2nd behind World's Finest. BvS is a distant third easily.

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. Let's wait till the trailers and the SDCC press comes out. They call this place the Superhero 'Hype' for a reason.

Even after the disappointing mess of MOS, people were still riding the BVS hype train hard.

Matrix didn't involve characters with 75+ years of pop culture history.

WB blew it, they had a movie with their Trinity and it couldn't even clear 900 million WW, with reviews s obad that they won't get the presales for JL that they got for BvS... No way JL makes as much as BvS...

The sad part is now we'll never get proper versions of TDKR and Death Of Superman in live action.

Both iconic stories were ruined, thanks to BVS.

The Phantom Menace did $983.6 worldwide. Attack of the Clones did $640.9. That is a massive drop. The DCCU is dead if it performs like that.

ROTS was around $850M, so they bounced back.

Wow! I had no idea the prequel numbers were so low...

Did ROTS perform better?

People are underestimating how a bad movie can affect future BO sales. The horrible RT and user scores is going to come back and bite WB for future movies...

The Phantom Menace did $983.6 worldwide. Attack of the Clones did $640.9. That is a massive drop. The DCCU is dead if it performs like that.

Wow, if JL drops by same percentage it will gross around $570M. That would be a complete disaster for WB so yeah, the DCEU would probably be scrapped and we'd see reboots within a decade.

Wow! I had no idea the prequel numbers were so low...

Did ROTS perform better?

Low compared to what?

They actually inflation adjust very well. They came out in the 99-05 period after-all.

Critically they were not loved but they were BO successes.

Low compared to what?

They actually inflation adjust very well. They came out in the 99-05 period after-all.

Critically they were not loved but they were BO successes.

Low compared to every other Star Wars film. If you adjust the domestic for inflation, it made less than every other Episode. Relative to Episode I worldwide, it dropped a massive 35%. Certainly it was still a financial success ($650M on a $115M budget is a lot of profit) but it is a demonstration that poor reception (which by the way was still much better than BvS) can really hurt the box office of a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"