Black Panther The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Black Panther' started by Thread Manager, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]514511[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]488325[/split]

3. Dboi

Dboi Well-Known Member

Where does it state that Coogler was using the same camera he used in Creed?

4. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

5. an_ewok

an_ewok Well-Known Member

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson wants to be in every movie.

6. TyBig

TyBig Well-Known Member

SLJ is in every movie jks

When I went to the movies a few weeks ago he was in like 3 trailers lol

7. DeadStroke

DeadStroke Well-Known Member

8. Wylie Times

Wylie Times Well-Known Member

9. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  10. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

Sure, the camera matters, but there will be color-correction anyway (plus, a lot is post-production). I don't think things need to look as vibrant as Guardians, though, but the concept art certainly didn't suggest things would be dull.

11. legendkillin

legendkillin Well-Known Member

Michael B.Jordan was at the NBA All Star this weekend. I wonder if he just had some time off. He can't fully grow dreads, so I wonder if his current hair is what they go with or if they add hair?

12. DeadStroke

I just want a very distinct look from the rest of the Marvel films. They really have a chance to make it look and feel special.
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing he wears extensions in the movie.

I also noticed the trainer for Creed and BP was sitting next to him at the game.

13. DeadStroke

How Rachel Morrison created this beautiful look of a 1940s film with a digital camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/cinematographer-rachel-morrison-mudbound-sundance-2017-1201774117/
    Lets hope Marvel let her do her work here.

14. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

I think marvel is visually making changes, gotg and doctor strange are both visually great. And spiderman looks really vibrant.

15. Chesterfield

Yeah, Calliet. He's also the physical trainer for both Jordan and Boseman for the BP movie. As for Jordans hair, yep, he'll have hair wig/extentions for the film.

16. Darepool

Darepool Well-Known Member

Did Doctor Strange look like Winter Soldier to you? Did Winter Soldier look like Guardians? I think there was in fact a distinct difference...Perhaps it's a matter of degrees.

17. Dboi

Dboi Well-Known Member

In terms of colour grading, they kind of did look the same but when it comes to visual imagery with the use of CGI then thats a different case. Here are images of winter soldier and Doctor Strange comparing the two

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can still feel a slightly flat colour palette with both films. At this point, I expect the same fate with BP but that doesn't mean it will be a good film regardless

18. Darepool

Now compare it with shots in Kamar-Taj and you realize that the difference is also technique and not just color grading. That is basically the look in general with a lot of digitally shot films, not just Marvel. It's only in the last few years that the technology could render skin tones to look more 'natural'. It's evolving pretty quickly. Red is constantly pushing forward with their tech.

19. Panacea

Panacea Well-Known Member

Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it.

20. Dboi

Dboi Well-Known Member

The scene in Kamar Taj was shot in film which is why it looked the way it did with the yellow like colour. Besides there are films that were digitally shot that didn't really look so digital

For example Drive which was shot in 2011 look really good despite being shot on film and had a way lower budget than any Marvel film. You can tell the colour difference and the increase in saturation for the look of the film that makes it look cinematic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would have preferred for them to use the Red camera but hey its the director's decision of how the film looks I guess. Maybe the color grading of the Marvel films are done on purpose look more realistic or something

21. Darepool

See as someone who has shot stuff on digital and film, I still see the 'digital' look in Drive because of the more 'washed out' skin tones. The image is super clean and crisp and still lacks the emulsion richness of film. It may feel more 'cinematic', but it's still digital.

And I thought only the street scenes were shot on film in Strange, either way, you can tell the DP did some interesting things with fluorescents. Also it doesn't take away from my point that "all the films have the same look' generalization is not entirely accurate and there are in fact differences. As I said, perhaps it's a matter of degrees.

22. DeadStroke

I think its to fit the whole episodic feel of the MCU. Which is fine. The movies have been very good.

The DP would have definitely preferred film judging by her comments in that article I posted.

I'm just hoping they are letting color grade stand out like from the pics I posted.

23. Chesterfield

Some of Black Panther will be shot in IMAX.

http://www.newsarama.com/33267-star-wars-the-last-jedi-shot-partially-in-imax-as-part-of-new-overall-deal-which-includes-marvel-studios-films.html

Following J.J. Abrams’ iconic use of IMAX® cameras in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, IMAX and Lucasfilm have announced that director Rian Johnson has captured key sequences of Star Wars: The Last Jedi using IMAX’s extremely high-resolution cameras, delivering IMAX audiences greater scope and increased image quality in IMAX’s exclusive aspect ratio for a uniquely immersive experience.

The news of Johnson leveraging IMAX cameras for key sequences of Star Wars: The Last Jedi comes as part of an extended slate deal announcement between IMAX and The Walt Disney Studios, a division of The Walt Disney Company. Building on their existing long-standing relationship, the two companies announced today that they have extended their multi-faceted agreement with a new multi-picture deal — beginning this year and extending through 2019 —that includes the much-anticipated live-action and animated tentpole releases from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Highlights of the agreement include IMAX’s involvement in the release of Lucasfilm’s untitled Indiana Jones film, untitled Han Solo Star Wars anthology film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: Episode IX; Marvel’s Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers sequel, which as previously announced will both be shot entirely with IMAX cameras by the Russo Brothers; Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, A Wrinkle in Time and Mulan; Pixar’s The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Wreck-It Ralph sequel.

24. TyBig

TyBig Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't even know they were doing another Indiana Jones movie

25. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Rumored to be the last one with Harrison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.