Breaking Bad - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt's gone too far for me to like him anymore. The turning point was poisoning Brock. I didn't want to believe he did it, but that last shot of S4 showed just how much of a bad guy he can be. Then the S5 opener, he's so full of himself when talking to Mike and Jesse and then he forgives Skyler? Where does he get off? He gets even worse as the season goes on, talking to Jesse about the importance of the truth, about Jesse not having anyone, just letting Jesse wallow in his emotions while Walt whistles while he works.

He manipulates, he lies, he crushes, and kills out of his fragile pride. It wasn't about his family anymore, it was about him. When Walt's going over the last year of his life during his 51st birthday, the camera zooms in as he goes on, symbolizing his narrowing view over his meth dealings. He started out with the intention of providing for his family, but as he went on, it became a game for him to prove to himself and everyone else that he is a man to be feared and respected. His guilt had vanished. When he kills Mike, it seems more than he was upset with himself that he made a rash mistake rather than murdering Mike. I still can't get over that one of my favorite characters was killed so meaninglessly and put into a barrel of acid like he was nothing. Walter is knocking alright, on the door of well deserved punishment.

Am I the only guy that still likes Walt? He did everything for his family and then went to an epic proportion then he "quit". I don't know maybe I'm just an ahole

I think he's been in a few situations where he could had just quit but has continued to cook because he thinks enough is never enough. Like he said, "he's in the empire business".

He's put a lot of people in danger; sometimes unnecessarily, just to save his own hair and then doesn't care much about what he just did.

Walt's gone too far for me to like him anymore. The turning point was poisoning Brock. I didn't want to believe he did it, but that last shot of S4 showed just how much of a bad guy he can be. Then the S5 opener, he's so full of himself when talking to Mike and Jesse and then he forgives Skyler? Where does he get off? He gets even worse as the season goes on, talking to Jesse about the importance of the truth, about Jesse not having anyone, just letting Jesse wallow in his emotions while Walt whistles while he works.

He manipulates, he lies, he crushes, and kills out of his fragile pride. It wasn't about his family anymore, it was about him. When Walt's going over the last year of his life during his 51st birthday, the camera zooms in as he goes on, symbolizing his narrowing view over his meth dealings. He started out with the intention of providing for his family, but as he went on, it became a game for him to prove to himself and everyone else that he is a man to be feared and respected. His guilt had vanished. When he kills Mike, it seems more than he was upset with himself that he made a rash mistake rather than murdering Mike. I still can't get over that one of my favorite characters was killed so meaninglessly and put into a barrel of acid like he was nothing. Walter is knocking alright, on the door of well deserved punishment.

Pretty much. :up:

Z1NQQ.jpg

How does anybody "like" Walt still? Ever since the end of season 3, when he had Jesse kill Gale out of self-preservation, he's been more or less irredeemable. And the end of season 4 should have left no doubt.

The whole "Walt is Heisenberg now" statements that float around are silly. Walt isn't a schizo. He's a guy who had a lot of pent up anger, regret, and frustration which all boiled over when he faced his own mortality.

I think the show is more enjoyable when you hate/fear/dislike Walt, because that's what Gilligan and co. want you to do.

How does anybody "like" Walt still? Ever since the end of season 3, when he had Jesse kill Gale out of self-preservation, he's been more or less irredeemable. And the end of season 4 should have left no doubt.

The whole "Walt is Heisenberg now" statements that float around are silly. Walt isn't a schizo. He's a guy who had a lot of pent up anger, regret, and frustration which all boiled over when he faced his own mortality.

i don't' see what't not to like about walt.

also, i don't think anyone actually thinks walt is a schizo. calling walt heisenberg is just an easy way to identify the "badass" version of walt.

Am I the only one who hates Walt Jr.? And its not cuz he's disabled, I just think his character is annoying and probably the most useless character in all of television.

I think Walter Jr. becoming a serious player in the plot in any capacity has been a long time coming. I could see him being the last ace-up-the-sleeve, writing wise, in the last episodes, even if just for one moment.

Am I the only one who hates Walt Jr.? And its not cuz he's disabled, I just think his character is annoying and probably the most useless character in all of television.

i don't think anyone particularly likes him since he really has little purpose to the show, but i wouldn't say i hate his character.

Go back and watch season 1 again and then tell me how you feel about Walt. Sure, he has done some absolutely deplorable things, but he is still a human being. Has he committed plenty of atrocities? Sure, but he's a flawed personjust like everybody else on the planet. If you want my personal opinion, Walt's true downfall started when he let Jane die. After that it's just a swan dive into darkness for him

If Breaking Bad was on in the 60s, the only person left rooting for Walt would be Pete Campbell.

Never said Walt wasn't a human being. He's an awful one, though. Not many people do the things Walt has done, so the "everyone is flawed" vantage point doesn't work.

Umm yes it does. Everybody has something they've done that (if you believe in that sort of thing) they'll have to answer for when they die. There isn't a person alive that hasn't done at least one bad thing. Not possible. At least in my eyes. Sure the specific things Walt has done are horrible but he has been corrupted. He wasn't always evil. That's not usually how it works. Absolute power corrupts n all that. What happens when someone who has felt like they have been **** on at every turn in their life gains a significant amount of power? Walt was a decent I'll even go as far as to say a wonderful person before he faced his own mortality. That stuff changes people man but he's still a man just like every single one of us. Just a person, like all peope who are susceptible to rationalizing and justifying their own misdeeds to make them feel better about themselves so they can sleep at night. Walt has a conscience, that's been made absolutely clear, he just ignores it

No, the equivalency thing doesn't work here. Some people are much, much worse than others.

And Walt was explicitly shown to have little conscience. See his whistling after telling Jesse he was torn up about that kid being killed.

How does that mean he doesn't have a conscience? Just as he said himself does he have to curl up in a ball and cry out of remorse to show that he regrets it? He got out of the meth business, he did some absolutely atrocious things but in his world that's all behind him and he's apparently on the road to trying to be a better person and redeem himself somewhat when Hank finds the book. Nothing is so black and white

Walt has a conscience, that's been made absolutely clear, he just ignores it

What does this mean? I'd love for murderers to use this. "Judge, I had a conscience; I just chose to ignore it." And to be more Godwinian, Hitler: "I had a conscience, I just chose to ignore it vis à vis the Jews."

And, no Walt has not been corrupted. Who corrupted him? Himself? His greed?

Last edited:
Cancer changes a man. That is why Walt is doing this, if he was perfectly healthy we wouldn't have the balls to cook meth anyway.

How does that mean he doesn't have a conscience? Just as he said himself does he have to curl up in a ball and cry out of remorse to show that he regrets it? He got out of the meth business, he did some absolutely atrocious things but in his world that's all behind him and he's apparently on the road to trying to be a better person and redeem himself somewhat when Hank finds the book. Nothing is so black and white

LOL.

Key words are "in his world". Morality of Walt's world =/= morality of virtually all over human beings.

But I think I'll just bow out of this discussion.

I think Walt was probably always a sociopath. But a scared, embittered one trapped by his sense of self-preservation. The cancer just took away his inhibitions revealing the monster that always lurked beneath the surface.

totally right, jjj's ulcer.

these things that we haven seen from walter, have been always inside him. it was compensated, now it's decompensated. i'm still on walter's side...

I think the show will end with Walt dead and Skyler alive and well with the kids, along with a reveal that she had a SECOND storage locker with the majority of Walt's money stashed away for her and the kids. :D

i like walt because he's such a fascinating character and one of the best and most fully fleshed out characters on tv. he's also completely badass.

this isn't real life. it's ok to root for the villain.

i like walt because he's such a fascinating character and one of the best and most fully fleshed out characters on tv. he's also completely badass.

this isn't real life. it's ok to root for the villain.

The dumbest "rule" that show-runners used to believe was that the protagonist in a show had to be at least somewhat good or the audience wouldn't root for them. I think Sopranos was one of the first shows to disprove that antiquated myth, but Breaking Bad really disproves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"