BvS BvS Rottentomatoes score - how important will it be, and what do you hope for? - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people will associate him with it, period.

The terrorists were villagers, weren't they? The real terrorists were Luthors mercenaries.

That doesn't make any sense. Their "association" will be of him saving American lives. It's a useless, ultimately redundant subplot.
And I don't know, I'm asking you. You're the one who's got this movie figured out.

You know what is interesting to me when it comes to the Hypocritics and how they contradict themselves?

The HypoCritics lost their right to b***h when they gave JJ Abrams a pass for Episode 7’s copy and paste job plot with quotes like, “who cares if it’s derivative, it’s the greatest Star Wars sequel ever, it outdoes the original in every way, blah blah blah.” Their reviews became driven more by agendas and politics than anything else…not by the quality of the movie. And at this point, when I see Fast and Furious sequels getting 70% and 80% favorable ratings on rotten tomatoes, you know you’re dealing with “professional critics” who’ve mentally lost it.

Plus Superman Returns gets a higher than rating than both MOS and BvS?? I mean man, at least if you have a personal agenda against BvS as a critic, at least TRY to make it less obvious.

Unreal Bizarro world we live in.  :up:

"Although Gene Siskel, may he rest in the balcony, said it best: Critics aren’t there to HATE a movie, they’re there to ask “Why wasn’t it BETTER??”
As in, you had two years and $200M+, and this is what you did with it? That comes squarely down to the fault of those who made it, not the audience. When the audience went in to Batman & Robin expecting a good summer crowd-pleaser and got something sloppy and goofy, that was not the critics’ fault, that was Joel Schumacher’s. When the audience waited two years of rumors for Roland Emmerich to bring Godzilla to the US and got a goofy comedy, that was not the audience’s fault, that was Dean Devlin’s. Anyone in the audience could have said how the source material should have been treated, but such is the nature of Hollywood that no one gave them a camera, Ben Affleck and $200M."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...rman_s_success_is_devastating_to_critics.html

RT down to 28.
Now this isn't fair. I'm not in super love, but it's not worse than some of you know what other movies. At least it tries.

I wonder if the director's cut being released in theaters would make RT treat it as a completely different entity? Or would its reviews just mix with those of theatrical BvS?

"Although Gene Siskel, may he rest in the balcony, said it best: Critics aren’t there to HATE a movie, they’re there to ask “Why wasn’t it BETTER??”
As in, you had two years and $200M+, and this is what you did with it? That comes squarely down to the fault of those who made it, not the audience. When the audience went in to Batman & Robin expecting a good summer crowd-pleaser and got something sloppy and goofy, that was not the critics’ fault, that was Joel Schumacher’s. When the audience waited two years of rumors for Roland Emmerich to bring Godzilla to the US and got a goofy comedy, that was not the audience’s fault, that was Dean Devlin’s. Anyone in the audience could have said how the source material should have been treated, but such is the nature of Hollywood that no one gave them a camera, Ben Affleck and $200M."
Very well said. When it's something like Daredevil (2003), the reviews are justified, but when it's a Snyder joint, it's a misunderstood masterpiece. I think Snyder used comic-accurate visuals to masquerade the lack of good storytelling and cinematic universe building.

Now this isn't fair. I'm not in super love, but it's not worse than some of you know what other movies. At least it tries.

While comparing movies on RT, Average Critic rating is a better metric to compare on than the RT score itself. RT score just says percentage of critics that loved the movie.

While I fully admit that I have been anything but positive towards the film (so there's a clear bias; I fully admit to that) ... I was not expecting this kind of response from the critics and a lot of the fans. Vitriol is what I'm hearing. I almost want to see the movie now because it has sparked so much discussion, but I also don't want to give the movie my money, so ... I'm still going to wait until it's out on Redbox or if I end up watching it at a friend's house or something.

I was honestly expecting the RT rating to resemble Man of Steel's at worst. At best, I was expecting a response like Thor: The Dark World's.

I wonder if the director's cut being released in theaters would make RT treat it as a completely different entity? Or would its reviews just mix with those of theatrical BvS?

That's not how it works. Once you post your review that's it. There's no revision. Remember RT is just a collection of reviews, there are no "RT critics"

As long as it extends the same courtesy to every other movie with alternate cuts across cinematic history.

That's not how it works. Once you post your review that's it. There's no revision. Remember RT is just a collection of reviews, there are no "RT critics"
I see. So no matter how great the DC is (if it is of course) there's nowhere where people can see it's better aside from individual site reviews? That sucks a bit. I figured that much when I was looking for reviews on the Daredevil Director's cut (Which apparently is far better) and I couldn't find a definitive opinion.

There is a different RT page for the Director's Cut of Daredevil and the Rogue Cut of X-Men: DOFP, but they have very few reviews, so it doesn't really help.

RT down to 28.

92% - The Force Awakens
84% - Hail Caesar
81% - Furious 7
79% - Iron Man 3
75% - Age of Ultron
72% - Iron Man 2
69% - Furious 6
66% - Thor 2
56% - The Phantom Menace

36% - Transformers Dark of the Moon
28% - Batman v Superman

Rotten Tomatoes isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination

I'll be the first to admit as a Zack Snyder fan this is one of his more flawed films. But as is the case with Rotten Tomatoes, a flawed Zack Snyder film gets 20% an awful Coen brothers film gets 80%.

92% - The Force Awakens
84% - Hail Caesar
81% - Furious 7
79% - Iron Man 3
75% - Age of Ultron
72% - Iron Man 2
69% - Furious 6
66% - Thor 2
56% - The Phantom Menace

36% - Transformers Dark of the Moon
28% - Batman v Superman

Rotten Tomatoes isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination

I'll be the first to admit as a Zack Snyder fan this is one of his more flawed films. But as is the case with Rotten Tomatoes, a flawed Zack Snyder film gets 20% an awful Coen brothers film gets 80%.

While I do find it a little humorous that it has now dipped to 28%, the reality of it is there is no way this movie is worse than a Bayformer sequel. Not in a million years. Those movies are the lowest common denominator. I despise everything they represent (except the 1st film).

Last edited:
I don't know. I fully enjoy the entertainment value of the Transformers

This is truly fascinating- and I don't say that w.any disrespect. It really does boggle the mind a bit...

Guys, it's been said here before but it needs repeating it looks like. The way rotten works is the critic writes his review and then tells Rotten Tomatoes if they consider the movie rotten or fresh (Thumbs up or thumbs down essentially). That's why some reviews that are 6/10 are fresh (thumbs up) and some 6/10 are rotten (thumbs down).

So when a critic submits their review to the site, they make the decision to recommend it or not. And it's individual. It's not like all the critics got together in a UN like building and decided what the rotten % would be.

So in the case of Transformers Dark of the Moon and this movie...36/100 critics would recommend Transformers and 28/100 would recommend this movie. That's it. That's all those numbers mean. Now you can argue that more critics should recommend this movie than a Transformers movie, but the data doesn't mean that this is a "worse" film. That's not how Rotten Tomatoes works. So a lot of things can go into that. Expectation, what mood the critic was in, etc. I think expectation is a big one for this movie.

Transformers movies are garbage and everyone knows it. So if a critic goes in expecting crap, and the movie makes them smile a few times, they may come out of the movie kind of liking it in a disgusting sort of way. But this movie was supposed to be great. The movie clearly thinks it is great with all it's metaphorical discourse, sturm und drang, and their talk of Marvel movies being flavors of the week (though to be fair most critics probably weren't aware of that Snyder quote). So if it fails to meet expectations, even if the movie is probably better than the Transformers films, the critics are going to judge it on a harsher scale.

Just a thought

Last edited:
So when a critic submits their review to the site, they make the decision to recommend it or not. And it's individual. It's not like all the critics got together in a UN like building and decided what the rotten % would be.

This. Thank you.

The denial is so real for some of the fans. But I remember feeling the same way when the first Fantastic Four film came out (it was rated similarly on RT if I recall correctly). But you know what? When I watched the film again years later even I had to agree...it was a s*** movie.

This movie is not going to wear that well with multiple views in the years to come.

Have you all seen this?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain...-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#f003a4e6d72c

Indeed, according to the figures I’ve compiled from Boxofficemojo.com, Batman v Superman has set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern North American box office history. In dropping 55% from its $82 million Friday debut to its $37 million gross on Sunday, it pummeled all prior records for weakness in theatrical staying power. It even beat the nearly universally reviled and now long-forgotten Fantastic Four reboot, which dropped a comparatively modest 48% across its opening weekend in the summer of 2015.

You might be thinking that Sunday was the Easter holiday, which could account for the big Sunday drop. But that still wouldn’t explain the Friday-to-Saturday decline of 38%, which was the second worst opening Friday-to-Saturday drop in the annals of superhero releases, after a 40% dip for The Dark Knight Rises.

Holy s***. :eek:

I'm going to have to see this again to make an accurate assessment but at the moment I'm not upset with the RT score. Is this movie really as bad as some of the Transformers films? I'm not sure.
But frankly I think BvS is being so harshly judged because of how disappointing it is across the board; compared to what it could, should, and would be, it's, at the very least, a missed opportunity and at the worst a complete mess with a clunky narrative that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
It tickled me in my fanboy spots, I loved seeing Batman and Wonder Woman kick so much ass, and the hints at what is to come with the JL were cool. But outside of those moments, once it goes back to the story at hand, I don't think the movie works.

That's purely a reflection of it being Easter Sunday, I wouldn't read anything in to that

That's not true. Like, at all. If you read the article, you'll know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"