Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Marvel is looking to the next generation of heroes, so they want a group of people in their 30s who can stay with them for 10+ years.

The problem is that in 10 years she will be a 50 year old. Not saying it can't be done but why would they if they don't have to?

She's also going to be a new Superhero being led by Cap, who she'll look to for experience and guidance. It might be a bit strange when he is almost 10 years younger than her.
This

The bone of contention is that somehow being 39 disqualifies a very beautiful, Oscar winning actress that is still in great shape and can play authoritative characters in her sleep for some reason and that said reason doesn't apply to the casting of Renner, RDJ or Ruffalo.

:up:

The problem is that in 10 years she will be a 50 year old. Not saying it can't be done but why would they if they don't have to?

She's also going to be a new Superhero being led by Cap, who she'll look to for experience and guidance. It might be a bit strange when he is almost 10 years younger than her.

This makes no sense. Hawkeye is older than Cap in A1 so is Iron Man they still take orders. Being a leader isn't about age its about skill. Not to mention that Caps physical age doesn't line up with his chronological age.

Eventhough Larson is too young I would be super excited if she were cast. I'd get pass the age thing in a second.

UGHHHHH... Yeah, you've convinced me! So much arm twisting ;)

#LarsonforDanvers

I can see them going for somebody in their early 30's to late 20's for Carol. That's really the primetime of any military persons career seeing as how you've been in long enough that your not the low woman on the totem pole but not so long that you have moved off of the battle filed to a leadership role. I would also imagine they cast a similarly big name up and comer like Boseman for the role seeing as how they are going to need good acting chops but not a mega-star that will be too pricey 10 years down the road.

My fancast for Carol would be Anna Kendrick. She is a great actress, up and coming but not way too big yet. Has the body type Carol is known for. Is really popular with the younger generations and has proven she can carry her own film.

My fancast for Carol would be Anna Kendrick. She is a great actress, up and coming but not way too big yet. Has the body type Carol is known for. Is really popular with the younger generations and has proven she can carry her own film.
IDA. At 5'2 she's way too short. AK is shorter than Johannsen as Black Widow. I think the actress for the part will need to be at least 5'7. No amount of boots and heels can give AK the stature she would need to be believable as the powerhouse the character needs to be

IDA. At 5'2 she's way too short. AK is shorter than Johannsen as Black Widow. I think the actress for the part will need to be at least 5'7. No amount of boots and heels can give AK the stature she would need to be believable as the powerhouse the character needs to be

Ya you may be right about that. I didn't realize she was so short I just meant her body type. Marvel wiki list Carol as 5'11 and 165 lbs so whoever plays her does need to have a more physical build to pull it off

I always find it interesting when people mention Comicbook heights and weight as if they matter all that much.

OMG!! Gwendoline Christie would be great!!

As for her looking like "a man," well, is it because she's really super tall? It's her makeup as Brienne of Tarth that makes her look a certain way.

When she's not in that....

Gwendoline-Christie-7.jpg

She's a striking figure.

I'd love it if the went with someone who didn't adhere to conventional "feminine", idealized physical appearances.

That is one gumpy looking woman. Hell no for Carol Danvers. Wow. She'd crush ANY man in an alley. :wow:

She'd be ideal for Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk though. :up:

I always find it interesting when people mention Comicbook heights and weight as if they matter all that much.

I was using it more as a reference point to go from. It's not the end all be all but having a Carol that is barely pushing 5 feet tall would probably not cut it. People can only suspend their disbelief so much in a movie. But then again what do I know? Renner is pretty short for a superhero

I think it does when you cast someone that's nearly a foot shorter than what the character should be. The role doesn't need to be played by someone the exact height of the comicbook character, but something within that vicinity would be ideal. Boots can help give a shorter person a few inches, but its quite a stretch when you are munchkin to begin with. On the flipside, if you are towering over the men when the character is supposed to be the same height or shorter, then it doesn't look right. Finally with her abilities , Carol is a powerhouse with stature to give off that presence. She shouldn't be smaller than the team's other two females

Kendrick can't do this, she has to play Squirrel Girl.

that would actually be hilarious and Id welcome that cameo

I think it does when you cast someone that's nearly a foot shorter than what the character should be. The role doesn't need to be played by someone the exact height of the comicbook character, but something within that vicinity would be ideal. Boots can help give a shorter person a few inches, but its quite a stretch when you are munchkin to begin with. On the flipside, if you are towering over the men when the character is supposed to be the same height or shorter, then it doesn't look right. Finally with her abilities , Carol is a powerhouse with stature to give off that presence. She shouldn't be smaller than the team's other two females

that would actually be hilarious and Id welcome that cameo

Agreed. She needs to be able to hold her own physically.

I was using it more as a reference point to go from. It's not the end all be all but having a Carol that is barely pushing 5 feet tall would probably not cut it. People can only suspend their disbelief so much in a movie. But then again what do I know? Renner is pretty short for a superhero
Okay I thought you were putting up that height as if the actress has to be that exact height to play the character.

I don't really see Kendrick as the Superhero type BTW.

That is one gumpy looking woman. Hell no for Carol Danvers. Wow. She'd crush ANY man in an alley. :wow:

She'd be ideal for Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk though. :up:

But She-Hulk is anything but grumpy. She's very vivacious, cheerful and sassy. Just because the actress has the height there doesn't make her ideal of She-Hulk either.

One reason I like Yvonne Strahovski for Carol is that she has a beautiful smile that really lights up her face. I don't want Carol to be a tough ***** woman who feels she needs to scowl all the time to appear tough. She should just be strong and tough by virtue of her power, and not needing to put on such an attitude as some actresses seem to do to try to convey that aspect.

There a bunch of ways to make actors/actresses seem taller or shorter than they really are on film. The guy who played Gimli in LOTR is over 6 feet tall in real life. RDJ is several inches shorter than Gwyneth Paltrow in real life, but they seem like around the same height when you see them together onscreen. Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone are not all that tall either, and camera trickery is used in pretty much all of their movies to make them seem taller. I see no reason why the same cannot be done for Carol's actress.

You guys make me want to make a "how old should Carol be?" thread..

There a bunch of ways to make actors/actresses seem taller or shorter than they really are on film. The guy who played Gimli in LOTR is over 6 feet tall in real life. RDJ is several inches shorter than Gwyneth Paltrow in real life, but they seem like around the same height when you see them together onscreen. Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone are not all that tall either, and camera trickery is used in pretty much all of their movies to make them seem taller. I see no reason why the same cannot be done for Carol's actress.
again there is a limit to that. An actress who is several inches off is no big deal. One nearly a foot from where she should be, especially in relation to everyone else wont work

robert-downey-jr-and-gwyneth-paltrow-hit-la-for-iron-man-3-premiere.jpg

FYI, RDJ is not several inches shorter than GP. They are both the same height at 5'9. You may be confusing her for when she is in heels. You can see them there in a candid for the IM3 premiere. That is not movie trickery at play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"