Sequels Changing the roster for Avengers 2?

Well they will have to pay him 50 Million+ for sequel.Seriously he could ask for small fortune to return.

Downey should ask for nothing less than 100 million for Avengers 2-3. Maybe 150 since these are sequels and the second (renegotiated) contract typically means a bump in pay. Anything less would be unacceptable if I represented him.

Wasn't his salary determined by the BO take, like a percentage getting it to $50 mil?

Downey should ask for nothing less than 100 million for Avengers 2-3. Maybe 150 since these are sequels and the second (renegotiated) contract typically means a bump in pay. Anything less would be unacceptable if I represented him.
w04Uc.gif

I guess there's a reason you're not a Hollywood agent :oldrazz:

I'd add Spiderman, Wolverine, War Machine, and Batman (I know, he's DC, but still, that would be kind of cool. It'd show DC and Marvel putting aside their differences).

I'd add Spiderman, Wolverine, War Machine, and Batman (I know, he's DC, but still, that would be kind of cool. It'd show DC and Marvel putting aside their differences).
Haha, mos def. Get Sherlock Holmes in there too. That would earn RDJ that 100 million. And Captain James T. Kirk.

The amount Avengers made, Dinsey should be willing to dish out more cash to sign up Downey for a new contract. Depending on how Iron Man 3's recieved, have it span 3 films - A2, IM4 and A3, so his contract ends the same time Chris H and Chris E's contracts are up.

Wasn't his salary determined by the BO take, like a percentage getting it to $50 mil?

Correct... a box office commission that raises the salary up to 100-150 million or paid outright of 100 million regardless of performance. For two sequels of a franchise of this caliber that seems fair to me.

I say just up the base salary and continue the percentage bonus. Nothing should be guaranteed, that's just good business.

I say just up the base salary and continue the percentage bonus. Nothing should be guaranteed, that's just good business.

Well you are right about a pay raise. Avengers over performed and his salary should be adjusted as such. That means more upfront and certainly equal if not greater percentage commission. Factoring those two, I don't see how his final salary could be less than 100 million total. That would be the minimum wage if anything.

That is some serious **** you money. I think I could probably manage to make ends meet with that kind of coin.

If (a big if) the various tv and film projects are successful, its sort of inevitable that there will be a big cross-over project. But that's pretty far down the road, post-TA3.

Why?
When you're in movies and television, you learn to strike when the iron is hot. Something that's a hot property now is *not* guaranteed to still be hot five years from now, or even two or three. In fact, it's highly likely that your hot property will be yesterday's news within a year or so.

Besides, if the MCU expands into television, as seems to be the case, I say why not do an actual crossover in the vein of the comic books? If it's a Thanos story arc, for instance, you could have episodes of the Hulk TV show that feature bits of that, and episodes of the Joss Whedon-produced TV show that do the same, as well as referential cameos in various solo MCU films, culminating in a TA2 that answers lots of mysteries that were teased in each of the previously mentioned.

Not, mind you, to the point that general audiences would need to keep up with ALL of that; just items that us ravenous diehard fanboys would know about or care about.

I wouldn't want Strange to be more than a cameo in an Avengers flick. MS needs to make movies unrelated to Avengers at some point, its not the Avengers Cinematic Universe.

I like Dr. Strange, but when you already have the deep personalities of Stark, Rodgers, Thor and Banner, and you talk about throwing in the Pyms, Thanos, possibly Ultron, and maybe even Black Panther, you dont need to add the complexity of Dr. Strange too. Just my opinion.

I think you guys really hit the nail on the head. In a way, The Avengers served as a double-edged sword. Yes, we got a fantastic movie out of the deal, but in a way fans now expect all their favorite characters to be in the next Avengers picture.

It's not only unrealistic, but it would be detrimental to the film as a whole to cram that many characters into one movie.

Dr. Strange IS a complex character that certainly deserves his own movie. I've said it before: I really think GotG is going to be Marvel's way of testing the waters on a non-Avengers flick. They may have a connection through Thanos, but I wouldn't want both teams appearing in the same movie. It's just too much and no character would be done justice in a movie like that unless the running time was somewhere around five to seven hours.

I'd much rather have a fantastic set of movies than have a sub-par movie that manages to get all my favorite characters in. If you want a bunch of half-developed characters running around and blowing stuff up go rent G.I. Joe.

Yes, the MCU should be interconnected, but that doesn't/shouldn't mean that all those characters should be in the same battle or even the same movie.

To give an example from a completely different genre and medium: In the early 90's there were three sit-coms on NBC that took place in the same universe: Mad About You, Seinfeld, and Friends. They established this by interconnecting Friends and Mad About You through a minor character who happened to appear in both shows. They connected Seinfeld and Mad About You through having a main character from one meet a main character from the other in one episode. That was it.

There's really no reason for Dr. Strange to be in The Avengers at all beyond, maybe, a mention or a cameo. Save that spot on the roster for characters that were integral to The Avengers and vice versa, i.e. Ant-Man and Wasp.

Thankfully Marvel gets that, and they're willing to keep certain corners separate. Keep War Machine, Winter Soldier, most of the Guardians, Thor's merry friends, and eventually people like Dr Strange out of it. It helps make the universe feel bigger, anyway.

I'm fine with people like Pym, Panther, or Carol being added to the roster. And I definitely want Warlock in whichever Avengers movie features Thanos. But start stuffing everyone in there and they're not really "Avengers" movies anymore

Thankfully Marvel gets that, and they're willing to keep certain corners separate. Keep War Machine, Winter Soldier, most of the Guardians, Thor's merry friends, and eventually people like Dr Strange out of it. It helps make the universe feel bigger, anyway.

I'm fine with people like Pym, Panther, or Carol being added to the roster. And I definitely want Warlock in whichever Avengers movie features Thanos. But start stuffing everyone in there and they're not really "Avengers" movies anymore

That was exactly my thought. Just because the Avengers team has had almost EVERYONE as a member at some point doesn't mean you need to make the universe so convoluted by adding them all. Keep it a small, personal team that the general audience can relate to throughout the series.

I think you guys really hit the nail on the head. In a way, The Avengers served as a double-edged sword. Yes, we got a fantastic movie out of the deal, but in a way fans now expect all their favorite characters to be in the next Avengers picture.

It's not only unrealistic, but it would be detrimental to the film as a whole to cram that many characters into one movie.

Dr. Strange IS a complex character that certainly deserves his own movie. I've said it before: I really think GotG is going to be Marvel's way of testing the waters on a non-Avengers flick. They may have a connection through Thanos, but I wouldn't want both teams appearing in the same movie. It's just too much and no character would be done justice in a movie like that unless the running time was somewhere around five to seven hours.

I'd much rather have a fantastic set of movies than have a sub-par movie that manages to get all my favorite characters in. If you want a bunch of half-developed characters running around and blowing stuff up go rent G.I. Joe.

Yes, the MCU should be interconnected, but that doesn't/shouldn't mean that all those characters should be in the same battle or even the same movie.

To give an example from a completely different genre and medium: In the early 90's there were three sit-coms on NBC that took place in the same universe: Mad About You, Seinfeld, and Friends. They established this by interconnecting Friends and Mad About You through a minor character who happened to appear in both shows. They connected Seinfeld and Mad About You through having a main character from one meet a main character from the other in one episode. That was it.

There's really no reason for Dr. Strange to be in The Avengers at all beyond, maybe, a mention or a cameo. Save that spot on the roster for characters that were integral to The Avengers and vice versa, i.e. Ant-Man and Wasp.

Both of you hit it right on the money, I agree with your points 100%.

And yet there's plenty of examples from TV of hit shows spawning off entire subcultures successfully....All in the Family spinning off The Jeffersons, Good Times and Maude; The Mary Tyler Moore Show spinning off Rhoda, Phyllis, Lou Grant; CSI and Law and Order and their offspring; Dynasty spawning The Colbys, Dallas spawning Knots Landing, 90210 spawning Melrose; Happy Days spawning Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi; Andy Griffith and Mayberry RFD and Gomer Pyle;
of course, TONS of cartoons have spun off their own shared universes; and then there's the most obvious example of a successful shared universe in Star Trek, particularly in the 80s and 90s.

That's one reason why I continue to say that Marvel *really* needs to branch out to television (and they are, with Joss, thank god), while maintaining a continuity between the films and the TV shows that emerge. That way, characters (especially those with complicated backstories) can develop properly over the course of multiple episodes or even whole seasons on television, and then make the transition to appearances in the Marvel movies, in much the same way that Trek characters have moved from small screen to large.

This really can, and *should*, feel like a vast shared universe like that of Star Trek and Star Wars. It's always been that in the comics, of course, but Marvel is only just now realizing that potential for sharing its world(s) in the visual medium of film and television.

gzilla46 said:

Spider-Man and The Avengers both have different owners, so they won't combine them for some time, if ever.

Good. Spider-Man is much better on his own.

So is Wolverine. So is Hulk. So is Punisher.

People need to understand that some of these heroes do *not* play well with others, and don't fit in with teams like Avengers or X-Men at all.

Yeah, it's mostly the kiddies that have gotten in to comics during the Bendis era.

I would argue that Hulk works pretty well in Avengers, but I agree that there are certainly some characters who are better off on their own.

cherokeesam, I actually agree - I just don't know that Doctor Strange needs to be a major part of the Avengers franchise.

Come to think of it, considering we now know that Whedon is helping to develop a TV series based on a Marvel property, I think Doctor Strange is a prime candidate. Shows like Supernatural and Grimm have proven extremely popular in recent years and Strange certainly would lend himself well to that sort of format with just a bit of tweaking.

Heroes for Hire would make another interesting television show.

Hulk stole the show in Avengers. He fits well enough. Spiderman & Wolverine would do but different companies.

More Maria Hill would be fine :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"