Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Steel was the proverbial shot in the arm Superman needed after Bryan Singer's fruitless attempt to exhume the grave of the previous franchise, which had gone out with a whimper, not a bang, in 1987.

Difference between MOS and those Marvel flicks is.... a charismatic lead.
I think thats why they were received much better

I think there's a lot more to it than that. But yes a charismatic lead helps. Cavill was as wooden as a forest.

Listverse released a list of the least favorite 10 event films of 2016. BVS beat all movies for the number 1 spot. Beating the likes of Alice and Huntsman. SS came in at number 8. I have to agree that all films on the list are bad except I did not see Free State of Jones so I can't comment on that one.

Didn't like BvS at all
But I highly disagree that it is bad to be in the top 10 worst.
Come on, Dirty Grandpa, Ninja Turtles 2 were beyond atrocious and I haven't seen them but 50 Shades of Black, Alice 2, The Huntsman all seem much worse

Man of Steel was the proverbial shot in the arm Superman needed after Bryan Singer's fruitless attempt to exhume the grave of the previous franchise, which had gone out with a whimper, not a bang, in 1987.
Ha, I forget about Superman Returns if noone mentions it for a while. At least I can't accuse MoS of that. Although also MoS never goes 5 minutes without a mention lol.

I think there's a lot more to it than that. But yes a charismatic lead helps. Cavill was as wooden as a forest.

Indeed.

A charismatic lead goes a long way. I think the scripts to IM2 and IM3 weren't as strong as the first (especially IM2). The writers strike had a fair impact on that.
However, the reason why both films were received well by critics and audiences is RDJ's entertaining charisma. I don't like RDJ as a person, but I can't deny he carried those films and elevated them, bigtime.

MOS did nothing for me. I think it's an average movie. The "best" of the DCEU so far and that's not saying much.

Agreed. I remember being so excited for MoS,the trailers completely sold me for it to be an event movie. Then I saw it and just felt off.

Listverse released a list of the least favorite 10 event films of 2016. BVS beat all movies for the number 1 spot. Beating the likes of Alice and Huntsman. SS came in at number 8. I have to agree that all films on the list are bad except I did not see Free State of Jones so I can't comment on that one.

Listverse is a site that buys articles from freelancers for the grand sum of $100 per piece. That list was compiled by a "Mike Floorwalker" (or, some guy named Jason).

Ha, I forget about Superman Returns if noone mentions it for a while. At least I can't accuse MoS of that. Although also MoS never goes 5 minutes without a mention lol.

People can't stop talking about the DCEU. Even here in Marvel Fanboy Central. :woot:

The interesting thing about Superman Returns is it still got a much better critical reception compared to Rotten MOS.

Makes you wonder whether WB should have instead pushed ahead with a Superman Returns sequel, instead of going the Zack Snyder route. IMO Superman was in a much better position 10 years ago.

It doesn't sound like WB has any real intention of doing another Superman solo film starring Cavill. His agent is certainly pushing for it, but while we get news on The Batman in 2019 and Gotham City Sirens, the Superman solo is being pushed under the rug.

In a year we got Norm of the North, Dirty Grandpa, Alice 2, Huntsman, 50 Shades of Black, How to Be Single, Ninja Turtles 2, When the Bough Breaks, Gods of Egypt, and Ben Hur I doubt BvS or SS truly belongs in the top 10 worse.
Hell even Apocalypse which was my least favorite superhero movie this year probably doesn't deserve it

People can't stop talking about the DCEU. Even here in Marvel Fanboy Central.

This is the Misc Comic Films forum. Misc.....as in not a Marvel or DC centric forum. This thread is specifically about the MCU and the DCCU franchises. So naturally the DCEU is going to be discussed a lot. It's part of the thread's topic. So your comment is pretty dumb.

Now if you want to point fingers about fan centric forums discussing the opposition so to speak, then look no further than the JL forum which is constantly discussing Marvel from what I'm always hearing.

EDIT; e.g. from 2 days ago; http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=522217&highlight=avengers&page=26

Last edited:
Then explain the box office.

Which is just incredibly unfortunate and entirely Snyder's fault. Cavill is naturally charismatic, he has everything he needs to be the perfect franchise lead. But somehow Synder was like, screw that, this is what I want to do. And the even more inexplicable fact of the matter is that WB let him do it. Here's to hoping post-resurrection Supes can really make the most of Cavill's talent.

In a year we got Norm of the North, Dirty Grandpa, Alice 2, Huntsman, 50 Shades of Black, How to Be Single, Ninja Turtles 2, When the Bough Breaks, Gods of Egypt, and Ben Hur I doubt BvS or SS truly belongs in the top 10 worse.
Hell even Apocalypse which was my least favorite superhero movie this year probably doesn't deserve it

I think context matters. There's lower standards placed on 50 Shades of Black and so forth.

BVS and SS are major studio tentpoles featuring Batman and The Joker (two of the most branded and recognizable characters in the world). It's a far worse sin for BVS and SS to be poor films compared to Dirty Grandpa.

Lower standards or not I guarantee that 50 Shades of Black is a worse movie that BvS or SS. On a pure film level

When you bring standards in I think you more get to talking about "most disappointing" which for sure BvS is

Which is just incredibly unfortunate and entirely Snyder's fault. Cavill is naturally charismatic, he has everything he needs to be the perfect franchise lead. But somehow Synder was like, screw that, this is what I want to do. And the even more inexplicable fact of the matter is that WB let him do it. Here's to hoping post-resurrection Supes can really make the most of Cavill's talent.

He was quite wooden in Man From Uncle too. Really stiff. Armie showed more range. To be honest, I don't think he has any lead potential unfortunately.
Meanwhile guys like Pratt, who became big stars after MOS, have completely overshadowed him.

When it comes to Superman casting, we're still sadly living in the shadow of Reeve. No one else managed to put so much life and likeability into the role. Whoever plays Superman next really needs to have acting chops first, and 'Gym Jones' second. Superman deserves to be the shining lead of the DC universe, not the awkward red-headed step-child that WB is pushing under the rug in shame.

Lower standards or not I guarantee that 50 Shades of Black is a worse movie that BvS or SS. On a pure film level

When you bring standards in I think you more get to talking about "most disappointing" which for sure BvS is
As film is subjective, there is no such guarantees that can be made. Though you are comparing an unfunny parody to two dramas that ended up playing out like parodies. So which failed more?

I like Cavill as Supes but I wouldn't call him charismatic. Actually haven't heard that word used about him much.

Ah I though Cavill was good in Man from Uncle. Hammer too (who was my top choice for Superman). I think both are good actors who haven't gotten much better to flex their talents other than earlier projects (Hammer in Social Network, Cavill in Tudors)

Sure. That's semantics though, but you're right.

I've never seen 50 Shades of Black, but it wouldn't surprise me if it actually had a narrative that made more sense than a movie cut by a trailer company.

He was quite wooden in Man From Uncle too. Really stiff. Armie showed more range. To be honest, I don't think he has any lead potential unfortunately.
Meanwhile guys like Pratt, who became big stars after MOS, have completely overshadowed him.

When it comes to Superman casting, we're still sadly living in the shadow of Reeve. No one else managed to put so much life and likeability into the role. Whoever plays Superman next really needs to have acting chops first, and 'Gym Jones' second. Superman deserves to be the shining lead of the DC universe, not the awkward red-headed step-child that WB is pushing under the rug in shame.
Cavill was great in Man From UNCLE imo. Very charismatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"