Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that moreso than the directors, it is the actors where Marvel has really excelled. When it comes to their heroes, they have had very few slipups. Finn Jones seems to be the one major blunder and Avery Taylor-Johnson wasn't the greatest (and he was a relatively minor supporting character). Of the film leads, the weakest performance was probably Ed Norton, which is saying a lot.

Meanwhile, the other CBM studios have been far more hit and miss. Fox has had some big hits (such as Jackman, Fassbender, McAvoy, Reynolds) and big misses (such as Affleck, Garner, and everyone in a Fantastic Four film that wasn't Chris Evans or Michael Chiklis). The DCEU has had major issues with their casting with questions about most of the members of the Justice League. Sony completely whiffed on Andrew Garfield.

Get the main characters right and much of the battle is already won. Don't and there will always be major issues. I think it is the single most important aspect of these films to get right. You can have the fanciest car imaginable, but if the engine doesn't work you aren't going anywhere.

You make a very good point. Marvel is batting a 100 in this regard (I haven't watched Iron Fist, and that isn't Feige anyway). And that is something that you are right should not be taken for granted.

Yes very true. They have been ****e on villains and it hasn't mattered much as the far more important persistent element that is the heart of the universe is the hero characters (and supports) and their interactions.

Well, Thanos should be a special case in MCU. They really have a chance to create something truly interesting and somewhat unique. I read somewhere Thanos is the real protagonist of Infinity War. I think it was Feige who said that. Really interesting.

I really liked the main villain in GOTG2.

i hope wonder woman movie turn out to be great since i don't care anything about her before so i don't have any high expectation about her.

It would be cool if Thanos does have a more protagonist like role. They should take cues from Thanos Quest, where he goes around the universe acquiring the Stones.

There is more risk taking and diversity in Marvel Comics than Marvel Studios. The only filmmakers who have been able to get his own style through the system are Jon Favreau (before it really was defined) and now James Gunn.

Well yea there is a bit more risk. Because comics don't cost hundreds of millions to produce and are a small niche still anyway.

Well yea there is a bit more risk. Because comics don't cost hundreds of millions to produce and are a small niche still anyway.

Also, it hasn't exactly paid off. Marvel Comics has been spiralling downwards for some time. There probably aren't many people who would argue that Marvel comics are in a better state than Marvel films currently.

Also, it hasn't exactly paid off. Marvel Comics has been spiralling downwards for some time. There probably aren't many people who would argue that Marvel comics are in a better state than Marvel films currently.

I would argue it is more that Marvel seems to have forgotten the lessons of the 90s. Marvel's problems seems to be more of a result of business decisions than creative.

Well yea. I look at the Civil War film and for me it's infinitely better than the comic story line.

In fact the last good comic book "event" was Annihilation... Which was what? 2005?

So with CW, DS and GOTG2, it would appear that the Phase 3 movies are in a good place to surpass either Phase 1 or 2.

So with CW, DS and GOTG2, it would appear that the Phase 3 movies are in a good place to surpass either Phase 1 or 2.

That's a good point. Phase 2 was a bit hit and miss for me. Some higher highs than P1, but lower lows as well. So far, Phase 3 has started off better than either.

That's a good point. Phase 2 was a bit hit and miss for me. Some higher highs than P1, but lower lows as well. So far, Phase 3 has started off better than either.

Phase 1 had Iron Man and Avengers and 2 lower releases with TIH and IM2.

Phase 2 had TWS and GOTG and again 1/2 lower releases with IM3 and T: DW (Note, based on the divisiveness of IM3).

Personally, I'd put CW and GOTG2 for Phase 3 but I think most people would probably only put CW. I think Phase 3 needs one big hit or keep the same level as GOTG & DS but it is a bit unfair as they have 7 more movies to be released in Phase 3, all with high expectations.

And as a segue, I'm curious after WW and JL about the eventual poll between MOS-JL vs. IM-TA.

Phase 3 has already started much steadier and better than either phase because:

a) Feige doesn't have the CC breating on his neck

b) he and his team know exactly what works for the most part after almost 10 years of MCU work.

Nothing weak so far at least.

Phase 1 had Iron Man and Avengers and 2 lower releases with TIH and IM2.

Phase 2 had TWS and GOTG and again 1/2 lower releases with IM3 and T: DW (Note, based on the divisiveness of IM3).

Personally, I'd put CW and GOTG2 for Phase 3 but I think most people would probably only put CW. I think Phase 3 needs one big hit or keep the same level as GOTG & DS but it is a bit unfair as they have 7 more movies to be released in Phase 3, all with high expectations.

And as a segue, I'm curious after WW and JL about the eventual poll between MOS-JL vs. IM-TA.

I hear you, but I was comparing each phases' first three movies. I'd say that on average, Phase 3 is doing much better.

While I still think Iron Man is the zenith of the MCU, TIH and IM2 don't hold a candle to either DS or GotG2 (which I really didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did). 3 will be the biggest phase so far though, so they do have several more opportunities to disappoint than ever before. I sure hope they don't, though, as this is the most important chapter for Marvel thus far. They absolutely need to nail Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, and Infinity War for various reasons. There's so much riding on each of those movies.

Diane Lane said Justice League won't be better than The Avengers. Assuming that's what she meant, I doubt it's some kind of a revelation for plenty of people.

I wonder why she would say that.

Other news: Wonder Woman is tracking 65 mil. opening weekend at the moment. But it's 3 weeks before the release.

I wonder why she would say that.

Well, she said she'd hate to disappoint. If she said yes it's better, and then after November, fans were like wtf? As opposed to it surpassing fans expectations?

I liked Phase 2 a little more than Phase 1,but Phase 3 is incredibly strong so far. I have my reservations about Homecoming but Ragnarok looks fantastic.

Well, she said she'd hate to disappoint. If she said yes it's better, and then after November, fans were like wtf? As opposed to it surpassing fans expectations?
Oh right. I don't think I'd comment on things like that if I was in one of these films, aside from having a laugh.

Diane Lane said Justice League won't be better than The Avengers. Assuming that's what she meant, I doubt it's some kind of a revelation for plenty of people.

In the clip, a caller asked if she could throw out some spoilers, and if it will be "as good as" (not better than). She replied no and no, sorry to disappoint. I think she simply didn't want to say anything about the film, which is still six months away. They quickly moved on to another caller (granted, it seems like that's the way they do things on that show).

It's Snyder. Surpassing fans expectations isn't his strongest suit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"