• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Guardians movies have tapped into a new subset of fans, which is why Infinity War has the potential to be big. The Avengers and the Guardians meeting will give the movie a novelty that AOU didn't have.

I think the Guardians movies have tapped into a new subset of fans, which is why Infinity War has the potential to be big. The Avengers and the Guardians meeting will give the movie a novelty that AOU didn't have.

Maybe. Guardians so far has been in their own corner of the MCU and is basically a different genre than the rest as a sci-fi/space opera/comedy rather than a traditional superhero film.

That could greatly help Infinity War at the box office, but I don't think it will help much in terms of it being frontloaded.

I honestly wonder if there are large swaths of moviegoers who don't even realize that Guardians exist in the same universe as the Avengers. I guess we'll find out once the Infinity War trailers hit.

Maybe. Guardians so far has been in their own corner of the MCU and is basically a different genre than the rest as a sci-fi/space opera/comedy rather than a traditional superhero film.

That could greatly help Infinity War at the box office, but I don't think it will help much in terms of it being frontloaded.

I agree it'll still be very frontloaded. I think IW will be weird in terms of performance because I expect it to open bigger than Avengers but fall short of its domestic box office by quite a lot (say 210-220M OW with ~550M finish). But it might be the first Marvel movie to make a billion overseas.

Said it back in 2012 and I'll say it again: I doubt any Marvel movie, or any superhero movie period, will gross more than the first Avengers any time soon.

Said it back in 2012 and I'll say it again: I doubt any Marvel movie, or any superhero movie period, will gross more than the first Avengers any time soon.

Domestically, yeah, nothing is gonna scratch 600M+. But AOU made about 950M in foreign change. If Infinity War manages a billion overseas and more than 519M domestically, that would put it above the Avengers' global total... just barely.

It's still mind boggling how big Star Wars is. What does Marvel have to do to get to the level where 2 Billion is doable?

It's still mind boggling how big Star Wars is. What does Marvel have to do to get to the level where 2 Billion is doable?

Create the most popular media franchise in the world? Marvel's probably in second place right now, to be honest.

2 billion was from the fact that it was the first Star Wars movie in a decade (and a sequel to a 32 year old movie) with the original cast and a throwback to the first movie in terms of plot and structure.

I doubt any Star Wars movie going forward will make that kind of cash; I would have said Last Jedi was looking at Avengers numbers until Carrie Fisher passed away, but now it should get a boost from that. Plus I think Star Wars fatigue is a real threat. The franchise just doesn't have the variety Marvel does.

Bring aboard James Cameron.
Make it look like a never before seen visual treat of epic proportions.
Increase merchandising output.
Inflate ticket prices.

tumblr_m8f4tlmI6W1qe7om8o1_500.gif

Create the most popular media franchise in the world? Marvel's probably in second place right now, to be honest.

2 billion was from the fact that it was the first Star Wars movie in a decade (and a sequel to a 32 year old movie) with the original cast and a throwback to the first movie in terms of plot and structure.

I doubt any Star Wars movie going forward will make that kind of cash; I would have said Last Jedi was looking at Avengers numbers until Carrie Fisher passed away, but now it should get a boost from that. Plus I think Star Wars fatigue is a real threat. The franchise just doesn't have the variety Marvel does.

Eh - I think Marvel fatigue will kick in much faster than Star Wars fatigue at this point. Your talking 3-4 marvel films a year, versus star wars which only has had 1 film a year.

Star Wars still has a whole universe to explore. marvel's is quickly plowing through their characters in which a reboot for the heroes (definitely possible) or they decide to re-cast (which I don't get the feeling they like doing especially with such a large character roster.)

One thing to keep in mind is that Marvel is making 3 movies per year, which will lower the chance of one movie being as big as The Force Awakens, although at the same time Marvel brings in more money from movies over the whole year.

When Star Wars goes up to two movies per year and have been going on for a while I don't think it will keep the same numbers as it does now, but it will probably bring in more money on the whole (unless in the highly unlikely event that the franchise can't sustain that amount of movies).

Domestically, yeah, nothing is gonna scratch 600M+. But AOU made about 950M in foreign change. If Infinity War manages a billion overseas and more than 519M domestically, that would put it above the Avengers' global total... just barely.

Exchange rate is important. The stronger the dollar gets, the more difficult it will be to get those type of numbers overseas. Which is why Avatar is likely to see a rather heavy decrease when it finally comes out.

I think the format of Star Wars is a much stronger asset to prevent fatigue than MCU's continual releases. 3 MCU movies a year WILL make it so that the MCU movie aren't event viewing. We are looking at how many superhero movies next year? The format of 1 Star Wars movie a year helps prevent fatigue. Also, the trilogy format is also key to maintaining excitement. I am betting that LFL will hold off on a new trilogy for a at least 5 years after Episode IX, with Indy and SW Anthology films to occupy their time until it is time to wake up the beast again.

If Infinity War doesn't make 2 billion no Marvel movie ever will.

DCC_eqKVwAAULpT.jpg

Crazy how a DC movie holds the record for both the highest 2nd weekend drop (BVS-69%) and the lowest drop (WW-43%). Curious to see where JL lands... Hopefully it's closer to the latter than the former!

Edit: Spider-Man Homecoming is between TDKR and Days of Future Past btw.

I think the person who wrote the Forbes article is either an idiot or didn't bother to think things through.

If Infinity War doesn't make 2 billion no Marvel movie ever will.

That's a tall order. If IW is really, really good, maybe A4 will have a shot at it; esp if it's clear that it's the last hurrah for some of the original characters. Kind of a Deathly Hallows Part 2 effect.

Add in disappointment from the prequels. Episode VII was a movie people were literally waiting over 30 years to see.

And yeah, I don't expect Ep VIII to do quite as well. Keep the SW pattern in mind. For both previous trilogies, the first film grossed by far the most.

Eh - I think Marvel fatigue will kick in much faster than Star Wars fatigue at this point. Your talking 3-4 marvel films a year, versus star wars which only has had 1 film a year.

Star Wars still has a whole universe to explore. marvel's is quickly plowing through their characters in which a reboot for the heroes (definitely possible) or they decide to re-cast (which I don't get the feeling they like doing especially with such a large character roster.)

Not sure if serious...You say SW has a whole universe to explore, like Marvel doesn't :funny: they have multiverses. They don't even have access to the FF and the X-Men yet, but they will probably get access to at least the FF very soon. You can milk an entire phase out of that.

Besides, SW seems content with milking the OT period. We have yet to see if they are willing to tell other stories but I guess those Nostalgia Bucks are too good to pass up :sly:

IW isn't doing 2 billion. I've been wrong before, but I'd be totally stunned if it did.

Last edited:
It's not. Marvel is only crossing that line when inflation catches up to it.

The problem with Star Wars is even though the universe is big, the movies have to follow a certain structure. You couldn't have a Star Wars movie about a guy who robs a bank on Coruscant. Audiences expect each movie to be a planet-hopping adventure with colorful scenery and characters. Marvel can go big or go small.

Star Wars just showed that they can do one and done stories. And do well.

Star Wars just showed that they can do one and done stories. And do well.

But Rogue One is still a planet hopping adventure with an epic end battle. Compare GOTG to Ant-Man in structure and they're totally different. If every Marvel movie was like Avengers/AOU/Civil War it would be a similar comparison.

Not sure if serious...You say SW has a whole universe to explore, like Marvel doesn't :funny: they have multiverses. They don't even have access to the FF and the X-Men yet, but they will probably get access to at least the FF very soon. You can milk an entire phase out of that.

Besides, SW seems content with milking the OT period. We have yet to see if they are willing to tell other stories but I guess those Nostalgia Bucks are too good to pass up :sly:

The different multiverses will be viewed as a reboot of the franchise imo and not a true "multiverse" where they will be happening simultaneously, I do agree I think this is where Marvel is going, but I imagine they'll have to change the look and feel of there movies in general to allow for a fresh new take on the heroes. (which makes sense.) One thing I do commend if Marvel for is I think these first iteration of films is to draw in a fan base and community, and imagine their "re-boot" of the MCU (could be positioned as a multiverse), will go into more depth than this current one, therefore leaving a big window of opportunity to create something fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"