Clarice: 'Silence of the Lambs' sequel series

Since they’re going with actors that look vaguely similar to the original actors, what about Peter Serafinowicz for Hannibal Lector? He has a similar enough look to Hopkins and that polite, dapper British gentleman quality he had, while also playing someone you can actually buy people not initially suspecting as a crazy serial killer.

Also, the man’s done with The Tick. He could use more work.

I really like that casting idea. I find him kind of low-key sexy too, not sure if that's a 100% wrong way to think of Hannibal Lecter though. :hehe:

Since they’re going with actors that look vaguely similar to the original actors, what about Peter Serafinowicz for Hannibal Lector? He has a similar enough look to Hopkins and that polite, dapper British gentleman quality he had, while also playing someone you can actually buy people not initially suspecting as a crazy serial killer.

Also, the man’s done with The Tick. He could use more work.

That would be awesome!

CBS huh? S o this is like Hannibal for 80 year olds?

CBS doesn't make shows for people outside of the 18 to 49 demographic, because there's no money in it. They do get watched a lot by people older than that, partly because older people are more likely to watch broadcast, but relatively speaking they've done well in the demo, although broadcast in general is losing viewers as they go to streaming.

I've thought about why CBS has survived without doing much to adapt to older generations moving out of the demo, and my theory has to do with indie rock. When I first heard stuff like The Decemberists, I thought it was tame and really pretty boring, and the music videos had a dull brownish quality to them, and those qualities were fairly niche but then worked their way into popular culture. I'm not saying I don't like anything at all that's indie rock, but after generations of parents worrying about their kids listening to "devil music", here was a situation where parents might be confused and alienated by their kids listening to something completely tame and "harmless", and teens might be embarrassed by their parents listening to Marilyn Manson or whatever.

So maybe young people who've grown up in this culture actually like CBS' more lackadaisical nature and dusty aesthetic, and CBS jumped from courting people who've since aged out of the demo to making the same stuff for younger generations, while it's more the generations in the middle who look at CBS dramas and think, "Why does this look like something I might find in my grandparents' attic?"

Anyway, Hannibal did not get very good ratings. Maybe it was too much for most viewers. I know I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I want the opposite extreme where the tone of the show (if not the subject matter) is watered down. I want something equivalent to the better movies, which I'd be more likely to get on, say, Fox (looking at broadcast) than on CBS. Even if this is NCIS 2.0, though, it could still do better than Hannibal no matter how many fans respond to it with "Save Hannibal" on Twitter. The core Hannibal Lecter fanbase might be split between those who are devoted to the Fuller show and those who aren't but still don't want the property to become too mild-mannered, but I think it's how the more casual audience responds that'll really make the difference.

At this point, the Hannibal franchise to me is Fuller's Hannibal. It's Fuller or bust at this point. That show was magnificent, brooding, methodical, sexy, and downright horrific.

Yes, Silence Of The Lambs is a masterpiece and Manhunter was really good... while Harris's novels are memorable, they have large issues (especially Red Dragon, lets not even talk about "Hannibal" let alone Hannibal Rising).

Mads' Hannibal is the best (while I love Lambs, Hopkins tarnished his performance with sad sequels). His relationship with Will goes beyond what the novel ever did.

And, even Clarice the character was tarnished with that terrible re-casting by Moore... don't even get me started on Norton's boring Will which was somehow even worse than his portrayal of Banner.

Can't believe this show is being made, this will be just more tarnishing of Jodie's portrayal and overall a sad re-adaption to add to the film "Hannibal" and Hannibal Rising of this franchise.

Just remember, Fuller wanted to do Silence of the Lambs with Ellen Page as Clarice. Instead we are getting this.

Just remember, Fuller wanted to do Silence of the Lambs with Ellen Page as Clarice. Instead we are getting this.
Honestly, while I have no interest in this show...I don’t think Clarice was ever gonna fit into his vision of Hannibal, and I kinda think he knew that.

Am I the only one who thinks all these Hannibal Lector reimaginings/sequels/prequels/spinoffs are just beating a ****ing dead horse? Silence of the Lambs is the only movie anyone cares about. Hannibal sucked, Red Dragon has the distinction of being Brett Ratner's least mediocre (but still mediocre) film, and I never bothered to see Hannibal Begins or whatever it was called. Manhunter was good but no one cares about that one anymore. I gave the Hannibal TV series a chance and I know it has its fans but I just couldn't get into it (and since it only lasted 3 seasons, I guess there were plenty of other people who felt the same way). I don't know, man. Let it go.

I really liked Manhunter and Red Dragon along with Silence of the Lambs. That's where I'm at.

I loved Manhunter an SOTL, and like Hannibal and the Fuller series. Red Dragon was unnecessary, and Hannibal Rising was trash. I like the first three books too.

Maybe they made the actors act them out from home on Zoom. I like to imagine that's a thing that happened, anyway.

Not mad about this premise as it sounds very mystery of the week type. Basically another lazy case of giving us a generic genre detective TV show, only in this case slapping a name on the title to entice people.

Fuller's Hannibal flirted with the same type of format but at least it had Fuller's unique stamp, and more importantly an exceptional lead cast to fall back on.

‘Clarice’: Kal Penn Speaks Of “Thoughtful Thriller” CBS Series As He Joins ‘Silence Of the Lambs’ Sequel – Deadline

”Like most people, I’m a huge Silence of the Lambs fan, so having the opportunity to join Jenny Lumet and Alex Kurtzman on this project is very exciting,” Penn said. “All of our conversations about Clarice thus far are so grounded in art and storytelling. It’s suspense, it’s a thriller, and it’s thoughtful.”

As is the case with all Hollywood film and TV projects, there is no production start date set yet for Clarice but Penn plans to make the most of his time at home.

“I’m looking forward to a quarantine re-read of the Thomas Harris novel, and getting into production once we’re allowed to breathe around each other again,” he said.

The problem with it feeling like vintage Thomas Harris is that after decades of his influence you couldn't possibly pick a less interesting angle. I like the Lecter novels but they were massively elevated by Mann, Demme and Fuller. Kurtzman ain't in their ballpark. While he and Lumet did some alright, even occasionally impressive work on Discovery (Picard is genuinely mostly great, but I chalk that up to Chabon) Kurtzman is an aggressively untalented writer so his name on this show is pretty much poison to me.

On paper though it's not a terrible idea. Like someone else said, I'm not sure Clarice would've fit very well into Fuller's Hannibal and I actually find the series finale to be a fitting, beautifully ambiguous conclusion so especially since Harris's sequel is an absolute garbage fire seeing Clarice get explored further in a more respectful manner is appealing, it's just... A network serial killer show created by Alex Kurtzman. A pitch so boring it makes me nod off just hearing it.

Last edited:
Normally, CBS slotting this for midseason would be cause for concern, since I’m pretty sure every series they’ve premiered at midseason for several years has been one-and-done, but honestly... them thinking that they’ll have anything new to premiere this fall feels... premature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"