Clarice: 'Silence of the Lambs' sequel series

Meh. I’m going to wait for a full trailer to decide what this is or isn’t going to be. I think it can work just fine without Lecter.

I don't see a way this doesn't feel unsatisfactory to viewers with Hannibal Lecter being the elephant in the room that everyone wants a reference to and never gets.

And frankly, without Lecter and their dynamic, Clarice is a standard-issue smart tough policewoman.

Which is why I would've gone a post-Hannibal Clarice 30 years after Silence of the Lambs. Jodie Foster might've even done it.

Meh. I’m going to wait for a full trailer to decide what this is or isn’t going to be. I think it can work just fine without Lecter.

Those really are two separate issues though: whether something can work fine, versus whether its *likely* to work fine. A show premise can be entirely workable, and still be a predictable dumpster fire; all it requires is good reason to believe that the path that would make the show work is not the path the developers intend to follow.

It just seems counter intuitive to create a show about the character of Clarice following the events of Silence of the Lambs, a show which is directly referencing and even showing some of the events of that film/book, but the show is not allowed to reference Hannibal.

I'm not saying Hannibal needs to be featured on the show, nor does he need to appear at all or even be a focal point. I know this boils down to a stupid issue with the rights, but it's just strange. In SOTL, Clarice's main task was to get inside the mind of a serial killer (Hannibal) in order to catch another killer. Hannibal develops a fixation with Clarice, forces her to confront her childhood, and also escapes custody.

As someone else said, it will just be a weird "elephant in the room" thing, I guess.

It just seems counter intuitive to create a show about the character of Clarice following the events of Silence of the Lambs, a show which is directly referencing and even showing some of the events of that film/book, but the show is not allowed to reference Hannibal.

I'm not saying Hannibal needs to be featured on the show, nor does he need to appear at all or even be a focal point. I know this boils down to a stupid issue with the rights, but it's just strange. In SOTL, Clarice's main task was to get inside the mind of a serial killer (Hannibal) in order to catch another killer. Hannibal develops a fixation with Clarice, forces her to confront her childhood, and also escapes custody.

As someone else said, it will just be a weird "elephant in the room" thing, I guess.

Especially considering how much the trailer references and even shows Buffalo Bill. When Clarice should be at least as haunted by Hannibal as Bill, if not more so.

I wonder, will they simply somehow not reference it at all, or will they come up with some new lawyer-friendly way to indirectly talk about Lecter?

They will probably refer to him as "the doctor" who escaped custody, if they reference him at all.

I wonder, will they simply somehow not reference it at all, or will they come up with some new lawyer-friendly way to indirectly talk about Lecter?

He Who Must Not Be Named.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made indirect veiled references where everyone will "get" who they're talking about even if they never name drop him.

In describing the show’s premise, one article mentioned that the “cannibal doctor” was still at large. Of course, this tracks with the continuity between SOTL and Hannibal. But it wasn’t clear if Clarice could use even a cutesy euphemism for the off-screen Lecter. :shrug:

Yeah, no thanks. The whole point of SOTL is that she faces her traumatic past through the Buffalo Bill case and she comes out stronger and accomplished by the end. They entwined. Why is she lingering on it? So she has more trauma after the trauma? This story is about trauma again? And somehow that relates to her past?

Huh??? It's going backwards. It looks like it's going to needlessly plod on. Christ, just stop it with these meta sequel narratives of these famous movies and brands having a narrative effect on the characters that they started in the first place. It's as if our impact of these movies have an effect on these writers telling these stories and they use that personal impact to make into a story. It's this emotional response that really just cannibalizes your story. It's low hanging fruit and lazy storytelling. They did this with the new SW movies. They did this with Into the Spider-Verse. Stop telling me how traumatizing SOTL was to Clarice and actually tell your own story.

It's a terrible idea to make a direct sequel to Demme's film. Good lord. Not to mention the on the nose dialogue. When on the nose dialogue plays awkwardly in a trailer you know it's bad. This is Alex Kurtzman so I really don't have much faith here. I will cling to Hannibal thank you very much.

Yes I would agree, there really is no need to dedicate a plot threat to Clarice's childhood and it just feels like a tedious exercise to help the show tease out it's run time.

I see they're going with the caricature outward dick of a superior as well that Clarice undermines by speaking out of turn. Look at Ray Liotta's character in Hannibal where his abuse as a superior officer towards Clarice was much more sly, subtle and "official". But based on this teaser you'd swear it was the 50s as opposed to the late 80s/90s in how this guy speaks to Clarice.

Actually based on the synopsis I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Paul Krendler, Ray Liotta's character in Hannibal (who also had a small role played by yet another actor in SOTL).

So anybody gonna tune in tonight? I’m actually looking forward to it. I don’t really watch CBS shows. The last one was Supergirl season 1 and that was on and off.

I’ll give it a look. I don’t expect much, but I don’t begrudge this show it’s existence like some do.

Ok it was a decent premiere. I think it’s a 10 episode season so I’ll watch the remaining 9. I wonder what the ratings will be.

I mean, its believable to me that other cops would do that. FBI agents are nothing if not cops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"