David Tennant IS... the Purple Man

Discussion in 'Jessica Jones' started by The Overlord, Mar 25, 2014.

1. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

The problem is that nobody with the first name 'Zebediah' is at all likely to have the last name 'Killgrave'. And its just a bizarre first name choice, in general.

2. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

That's not true. Are you saying only a Jewish person would have that? There are plenty of British people who give their children Hebrew or Biblical names. It's not bizarre at all.

It means Yahweh has bestowed, and many parents want to name their children with a name that means something significant to them. If his parents couldn't have children for a long time but finally were able to have him, it's quite plausible they might name him Zebediah, because they might believe that God has bestowed a child upon them.

But it's unlikely the writers would reason this way if they don't even think of Kilgrave as a real name but think of it more in terms of a synonym for murder tomb or something along those lines. I bet half the Americans watching this show think that too.

3. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

It's a very Marvel name isn't it? I type in Zebediah in wikipedia and it suggests Stane and Killgrave. I don't think a Hebrew first name and Cornish last name is as crazy as you think, though.

Alias only used his last name, fwiw.

4. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

Yeah I agree with this. I would've liked to see him being called Zebediah.

And on top of that, why not call him the Purple Man? It could've been a name someone dubbed him because he was always wearing purple suits. Just like the name Slender Man.

5. Dark Raven

In Iron Man 3, there was a character named Killian. Maybe that was just his supervillain name, as he had slain someone named Ian. :o

6. gildedmuse

gildedmuse Snark Is A Superpower

Kilgrave was so terrifying because he is the villain you are most likely to face in real life. Fisk might not have any superpowers but unless you work in very specific industries you're not running into him. But Kilgrave... Someone like that can just appear in your life and tear it apart. Sure, maybe you can't actually be forcefully compelled via magical mind control but anyone who has ever lived through series emotional/mental abuse can tell you that at points it sure as hell doesn't feel like you have any option but to do as you're told. And they captured it so perfectly, having Kilgrave driven not be some desire to be evil but from this simple obsession to control Jessica. He did everything the way you would expect it in real life: he said he loved her, he made the abuse something done for her own good to show her she needed him, he tried to destroy her connections to the outside world, to force her to be with him not because he "made" her but because it's something she "wanted".

They used his super power in the best way possible because if you took it away you still have the same basic character. His power worked as a metaphor for, well, power and privilege taking very real traits and exaggerating them. He controlled people the same exact way real life abusers control people and the only difference is that no one can point the blame at Jessica by saying, "well why did she do what he said if she really didn't want to be with him? If he's so bad, if it was rape than why did Jessica let it happen?" They removed that argument by saying, basically, magic science. She literally couldn't so now you have to accept that this terrible thing happened to her that she couldn't stop and you have to believe she was the victim. They made Kilgrave the inarguable villain which is actually surprisingly difficult when you're telling the story of a survivor of this sort of abuse who isn't the perfect victim. Kilgrave's character allowed Jessica to be a total mess without people lying the blame at her feet. The writers and Tennant absolutely nailed it. Everything from the way his presence is felt even in his absence to the later episodes when you start to see just how delusional Kilgrave is and you start to realize, oh god, he isn't doing this out of some mustache twirling need to torment the good guy. He doesn't think of her as a good guy at all, he thinks of her as something that is his. I disagree with the idea that you needed lesser villains or that Kilgrave's purpose in the narrative dragged. He makes the whole series work.

7. 4thWallBreaker

4thWallBreaker Registered

With the handful of faults I felt this series had, Kilgrave truly was one of the MCU's best, most convincing villains.

8. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Not the Voice You Know

What would the state of Zebidiah Kilgrave be like if someone gouged his eyes? Would he still be able to give orders the way he does?

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Yes, his powers aren't linked to his eyes

10. StormC

StormC Custom User Title?

Just finished watching JJ. Kilgrave is the best comic book villain realized on screen since Heath Ledger's Joker. Absolutely spellbinding. There is no justice in this world if David Tennant doesn't get an Emmy nomination for his performance.

The character is so rich in personality and theming, you could spend so much time unpacking how scarily realistic that a ten year old boy who was never told "no" would become a remorseless sociopath, how he's a perfect stand-in for toxic masculinity, how he can still make you laugh (and sometimes almost sympathize with) even when he's a violent rapist, how whenever he's on screen no character feels safe and everything is at risk. Hell, even when he isn't on screen, the audience is right there with Jessica, always second guessing who's been Kilgraved. The whole season is like navigating a mine field.

I really loved the first season, but the second season has its work cut out for it to be as effective without Kilgrave in it. He made the show feel like a film noir crossed with horror/thriller.

11. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

#336 PunyGod, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  12. That9neGuy

That9neGuy Registered

I agree he was my favorite villain on any CBM movie or TV. Such a personal motivation and not just wanting to destroy the world for no reason. Every moment he was on screen was perfect.

13. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Finally got around to watching Jessica Jones and I gotta say that Killgrave is best villain in the MCU thus far beating out Loki & Kingpin even

The guy is just despicable in every way but there was also something about him that you liked. Major props to David Tennant because he gave an excellent performance. Wish we could see more of him but it sure as hell doesn't seem we'll be seeing him anytime soon considering how the last episode ended

14. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Wish he could some how comeback for a possible season 3.

15. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

He could.

We don't know what sort of experiments IGH is up to.

16. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

I'd have to say he's my favorite villain too.

17. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Registered

There's one thing that I don't understand. Kilgrave's powers work like a virus, he infects people with something that makes them obey, right? And in the series, Jessica found out that Kilgrave is vulnerable to certain chemicals, meaning that they nullify Kilgrave's powers. How does that work? Shouldn't people who are infected, stay infected regardless of what is done to Kilgrave? And didn't that neighbour carry out orders even after Kilgrave was sedated? What is the point of the sedatives then? What makes them superior to just knocking him out cold?

18. metaphysician

Two reasons.

1. Being infected is not enough, he has to be active and aware to give commands. The implication was that infection makes you a "receiver" for some kind of psychic signal Killgrave emits. There needs to be both the receiver and the transmitter for a command to apply.

2. Knocking him out wasn't enough to stop the commands, it had to be full on anesthetic coma. The implication is that, you need to shut his brain down hard to get him to stop transmitting. This actually does mesh with some real science: anesthesia is a fundamentally different state from ordinary unconsciousness.

19. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Registered

Okay, that makes some sense. How about the neighbour who handed the explosives?

20. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Tennant was awesome as Kilgrave. Wilson Fisk and Kilgrave put the MCU villains to shame!

21. Iceman

Great post :up:

This says a lot of what I was going to say about Tennant's performance and why it works so well.

22. Dark Raven

I would like for Kilgrave to be referred to as the Purple Man in the next season of Jessica Jones. Maybe she can use that as shorthand for his name because she can't bring herself to say it. Or some of his victims could use that. That's one thing that I wish that he was called in this series. It doesn't have to sound a silly name. It could easily sound a terrifying name, especially when you saw what he did to some of his victims and how much fear he put into them.

23. Dark Raven

Could Kilgrave's powers ever be good? If he weren't mentally unstable, would he be able to use them responsibly or would the temptation to abuse them be too great?

For example, if he were a teacher and he had a disruptive class of pupils, he could just get them to shut up for the lesson and then continue teaching. It would be particularly effective on the troublemakers, and beneficial to those who do want to learn.

24. Iceman

We saw in that one episode how easily they can be used for good, solving terrible and difficult situations in minutes. It all depends who inherits the powers. I think there are many who would give up their jobs and more to do this full time. You could achieve so much in a short space of time. Yes there would be temptation to use it for your own ends, but even then I think a lot of people would do more good than bad with the use of these powers. In the wrong hands it would be just as disastrous as it actually was in Kilgrave's hands.

25. metaphysician

Rather paradoxical, seeing as they *are* MCU villains. :whatever: