DC Relaunching Everything? - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was that stated? That doesn't sound right at all; if Superman is the first superhero and he's only been in action five years, then Batman has only been in action for five years as well--and there's no way Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne fit into the timeline. It's literally impossible, considering Damian's age.

I really don't think that's accurate.
Dan Didio said it, not me. I'll find it in the morning cause im pretty tired.

How long have you been reading comics?

I'm assuming this was addressed to me.

Don't think I can assign an exact # of years. Like I said, I'm not a regular comic book reader.

I'd say the 2 times where I actually bought, read, and collected comics on a fairly regular basis were during my teen years. The 1st time was during the Spider-man Clone Saga; that sparked my interest in Spidey related books. The 2nd time was when the 1st X-men movie was released, which of course sparked my interest in X-men related books........lol.

Nowadays, I might pick up a book here and there if I see it on the stands at my local bookstore. But mainly I get my information online now ( wikis, etc. ).

Ah, I see.

So are you planning on diving in to this DC reboot crap?

Ah, I see.

So are you planning on diving in to this DC reboot crap?

well, kind of. On the one hand, it does give me the opportunity to buy the #1 editions of the books. Most of the titles I have 0 interest in. Being a Superman fan, I'll probably pick up all the Superman related titles.

I guess you could also say I'm DC's "target audience" for this reboot. They are trying to attract "new" readers and supposedly make the books more accessible. Well, I'd fall into that new reader/outsider camp.

If they can streamline and make the titles more accessible to someone who's not familiar with all the backstories and histories, that's great for me.

However, from what I've been reading here about this reboot, it sounds like one big mess. Some characters are keeping continuity, others are getting rebooted..........:huh:

Yup. If you ain't been reading batman or GL for the past few years, you'll be just as lost with issue 1 as you woulda been with issue 851.

Which kinda makes this whole thing a moot point.

If you're gonna reboot, then f**king reboot. This half ass stuff is only gonna confuse these new readers, who probably weren't gonna keep reading anyway. :o

I mean no offense, but, do you really think you're gonna be sticking around reading comics for the next 5 years or so? I mean, if you didn't do it before, I doubt you're gonna up and do it now.

Not really. I think they'll have small references to past continuity but it won't be like you won't understand anything. You'll understand everything fine cause they said most changes will be explain in story.

Yeah, right. :o

I believe they said the same thing after Crisis on Infinite Earths. And Zero Hour. And One Year Later.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not to mention that it's pretty much at the writers discretion whats in and whats out.

Yes it's always been like that. But will these new readers know wth they're talking about when they start talking about that time Kilowog was a Black Lantern before there actually were Black Lanterns? Or when Batman got his back broken and Azrael took over?

I really hope they keep that stuff in. It would be awful for new readers to not to know that stuff

Dan Didio said it, not me. I'll find it in the morning cause im pretty tired.

I can't find any such statement in the comments he's made about Action Comics, and can't seem to find it on google, either. Couple that with the fact that the timeline wouldn't make any sense, and I think you may have misread something

Last edited:
I'm glad that the Batman continuity won't be ruined by this relaunch but I'm really worried about what they are going to do to Superman

LINK. NOW. :batman:

I wish I had one

It was in all the new comic books from dc this week though so if you check any out it will be in there

It's worth the price of the comic all by itself :awesome:

Oh, okay.

I loved this Batman story from a few years ago where he teamed up with Alan Scott on an old case Scott had and he talked about how he inspired him to become a hero.
That sounds like a neat story!
icon14.gif
I assume it would be like the New Frontier Earth where Supes was in the JSA with Jay and Alan and then joined the new JLA with the Barry and Hal, etc.

Ever read New Frontier, btw? It's fantastic.
I've watched the movie, but i havent read the book. It was pretty good!
Yup. If you ain't been reading batman or GL for the past few years, you'll be just as lost with issue 1 as you woulda been with issue 851.

Which kinda makes this whole thing a moot point.

If you're gonna reboot, then f**king reboot. This half ass stuff is only gonna confuse these new readers, who probably weren't gonna keep reading anyway. :o

I mean no offense, but, do you really think you're gonna be sticking around reading comics for the next 5 years or so? I mean, if you didn't do it before, I doubt you're gonna up and do it now.
I think they'll dedicate their first issues in explaining what has happened already. I read an interview last night (i think it was Didio but i'm not sure) where they said that many events will be kept, while others might be erased. I expect some sort of book that will explain what has happened, how the timeline was compacted so that the heroes would be younger, etc.

They want new readers to pick up those #1, so i expect them to make it easier to jump on.

Considering that some titles will be taking place in the "past" I wouldnt be surprised that Superman is only active for 5 years in one of his books. Not all the titles are taking place at the same time.

I think it would be a good idea for every comic to have a recap page letting readers know what has recently been happening in the series and who the characters are

A lot of Marvel comic books in the 90's did that and i found it really helpful and a good way to let new readers know what's been happening without lots of exposition

That sounds like a neat story!
icon14.gif

It was super-neat and really fun to see the two heroes teaming up together

I doubt DC even knows what has been happening recently to the characters. They will probably prolong it as long as possible and keep tweaking things throughout the characters run.

Which of the new comics are you planning to buy Primal Slayer

Where was that stated? That doesn't sound right at all; if Superman is the first superhero and he's only been in action five years, then Batman has only been in action for five years as well--and there's no way Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne fit into the timeline. It's literally impossible, considering Damian's age.

I really don't think that's accurate.

It wasn't stated. Action takes place at the beginning of Superman's career. However long ago that may have been. Justice League takes place either 5 years ago or 5 years into their respective careers. I cannot remember which. And Batman's continuity stays intact, so it's still been roughly 15-17 years for him. So it cannot be 5 years ago.

I think it would be a good idea for every comic to have a recap page letting readers know what has recently been happening in the series and who the characters are

A lot of Marvel comic books in the 90's did that and i found it really helpful and a good way to let new readers know what's been happening without lots of exposition
I think Marvel dedicates one page at the start of the issue to give us a synopsis of what has happened in the story so far. Its actually really helpful!

I think Marvel dedicates one page at the start of the issue to give us a synopsis of what has happened in the story so far. Its actually really helpful!

Yep it really is :) :up: it really helps out when you start buying a new comic. DC should do the same thing

I'm just going on a limb here, but I think the whole 5 year thing comes from Justice League. I believe it was said the first arc would take place 5 years before the 'current' time and then it would fast forward. Now, a lot of people are just assuming that the titles in the past (like Action Comics) will also be 5 years in the past, though an actual time hasn't be explicitly said.

They should have just started over at the beginning.

Things have never been this convoluted at DC.

I'm just going on a limb here, but I think the whole 5 year thing comes from Justice League. I believe it was said the first arc would take place 5 years before the 'current' time and then it would fast forward. Now, a lot of people are just assuming that the titles in the past (like Action Comics) will also be 5 years in the past, though an actual time hasn't be explicitly said.

:up:

Yep it wouldnt really make sense if Superman had only been around for five years

You should check out Batwoman and Demon Knights :up:

Batwoman has a great and interesting main character and excellent art and Demon Knights will be written by Paul Cornell one of the best comic book writers :)

Justice League Dark does look fab I love the characters who are going to be on this supernatural Justice League

Not really. I think they'll have small references to past continuity but it won't be like you won't understand anything.

Funny thing is, this is how most comics are already. Now, I'm not going to dispute the "it's hard to get into these longer arcs, and missing a month can screw things up" argument, that's pretty much true, especially if you don't have a large comic book store around.

One of my first forays into the DCU was Kevin Smith's Quiver arc for Green Arrow. That thing is literally dripping in continuity, yet, it's easy as hell to understand. I've lent that book out to more people than I have just about anything else, and nobody's had any issues with it.

Same goes for Waid & Wieringo's Fantastic Four run, and much of Green Lantern before and after Rebirth (Rebirth made it easier however), and John's run on the Flash (Wally), as well as many, many other books.

Honestly, the "it's hard to get into this stuff because there's SOOOO much" excuse is just that, an excuse. You'll get more mileage out of "my dog ate my grandma and I couldn't do my homework".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"