The Dark Knight Does anyone have any concerns about the movie....

I could not possibly care any less about permawhite than I already do.

Look guys, the odds of someone falling into acid and being discolored to look exactly like a clown is just astronomical....and best left out of ANY movie. I tought it was stupid as a kid when Burtons Batman did that crap.

It is AN IMPROVEMENT for him to not be permawhite...much like organic webshooters (forgiving the physical impossibility of a creature shooting that much webbing without dying or eating a crapload of food constantly).

The odds of a guy training to become a Superhero is astronomical. This is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE!

You want something more unrealistic than a guy falling into acid and bleachign himself? Microwave emitter ring a bell?

If you think butchering the Jokers origin is a good thing, that says a lot.

How dare you...

People fall into acid and get an even white stain all over their skin without dying or having serious health problems every day

About as often as people train to become flying mammals of the night :up:

I prefer to think of The Joker as someone who does what he does because of who he is and who he desires to be...not because of what he looks like.

I find "I suddenly look like an evil clown so I will kill people in strange ways" motivation to be incredibly shallow. I much prefer a character who chooses to look like he does because of how he feels and what he desires. I prefer this because I prefer stories that explore such concepts rather than just pitting good against evil with no exploration of the concepts involved.

That said, I think Nolan's Joker looks awful and half-assed in most shots.

The odds of a guy training to become a Superhero is astronomical. This is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE!

You want something more unrealistic than a guy falling into acid and bleachign himself? Microwave emitter ring a bell?

I agree with this sentiment. It's a comic book movie. Fantasy.

I mean nobody is going to try and say that ninjas living in the Himilayas plotting the destruction of cities using fear toxin is realistic, either.

i like that hes not permawhite, just gives him more difference then nicholsons...

however....having a non permawhite joker is like having a non scarred twoface.

how is it that bad...i guess we could be transported back to the days of B&R then maybe people wouldnt be so picky right?
b&r was written badly as well. No argument. But so is the prologue. Sorry it just is. Just because it is doesn't make or break the movie I still thunk it will be great. That is just a worry I have. P.S. Just because I said the prologue is badly written does not mean I want b&r. I want better then both!

I agree with this sentiment. It's a comic book movie. Fantasy.

I mean nobody is going to try and say that ninjas living in the Himilayas plotting the destruction of cities using fear toxin is realistic, either.

Not much more far fetched then terrorists planning to crash hijacked planes into a city

Its the entire look of a character. The Joker character is based off of his looks. If it was simply superficial - I wouldn't care. I could of cared less with Singer released his suit. Spider-Man had organic web? Who cares. This is different, this impacts the Joker as a character.

You are incorrect about there being versions of myths that are not wrong. Disney's Hercules is incorrect. Beowulf the film is not a Beowulf story. When you go against 70 years of history, against decades of various recreations there is one common denomination - the look.

Yet you claim something a lot of fans hate. That the Joker was once human, or normal....and the chemicals changed him to be a insane man. That is not the way I have ever liked my Joker. Lots around here prefer it to be a mystery. That Joker is an absolute. The second you give him a reason for why he is the way he is, then you can make sympathetic stories, and pull out the old Sam Raimi violin and start flooding the tears.

Joker is better how originaly Kane saw him, a no body, just evil that came out of thin air. No explanation. Mystery is what makes the Joker the best. I still go by TKJ. Some times he remembers his own history in different ways. So to me, Moore was simply saying Joker has always been insane. Insane enough to create multiple pasts about himself in his own mind.

b&r was written badly as well. No argument. But so is the prologue. Sorry it just is. Just because it is doesn't make or break the movie I still thunk it will be great. That is just a worry I have. P.S. Just because I said the prologue is badly written does not mean I want b&r. I want better then both!

Explain how its badly written please

I prefer to think of The Joker as someone who does what he does because of who he is...not because of what he looks like.

I find "I look like an evil clown so I will kill people" motivation incredibly shallow. I much prefer a character who chooses to look like he does because of how he feels and what he desires.

That said, I think Nolan's Joker looks awful and half-assed in most shots.

See, I think the Joker should be a guy that has this horrible attrocity to him and he (because of his own prior mental state) wakes up to see life for the Joker it is. Here he is, some guy trying to make a few extra bucks to support his family and then BLAM! his attemps leads him to become a freak that will never being accepted by society. Its hilarious! Pure dark comedy!

If life is a joke, why bother living within the laws? Take advantage and do whatever the hell you want. That is the Joker I want.

i like that hes not permawhite, just gives him more difference then nicholsons...

Em lets see... nolans joker... white face... permawhite joker.. white face...

non scarred two face... normal person... scarred two face.. a freak like two face..

Oh yeah I can see the smiliarities

At least it's possible to train to be batman

It is just as possible to end up getting your skin bleached.

Again, want something from Nolan's world that is MORE ridiculous than the Joker?

Microwave Emitter.

See, I think the Joker should be a guy that has this horrible attrocity to him and he (because of his own prior mental state) wakes up to see life for the Joker it is. Here he is, some guy trying to make a few extra bucks to support his family and then BLAM! his attemps leads him to become a freak that will never being accepted by society. Its hilarious! Pure dark comedy!

If life is a joke, why bother living within the laws? Take advantage and do whatever the hell you want. That is the Joker I want.

I'll say it again. You all ready have it. Watch Burton's version. Which is a great movie. But if you don't want change. like some one else put wonderfuly above....art always evolves.

If you want to seperate the guy from Nicholson, than skip the acid bath.

Then agian, I think after watching Ledgers performances - no one will be confused.

Not much more far fetched then terrorists planning to crash hijacked planes into a city

Come now. It is way more far fetched and you know it. Terrorists do that kind of thing because they're terrorists. It's why they're called terrorists.

Since when do ninjas give a rat's ass about crime and despair across the world? Have you ever heard of a clan of them plotting in the Himilayas to destroy millions of lives using a microwave emitter so they can restore some kind of balance?

No. It's absolute over the top fantasy. And, that's good. Because it's a comic book movie. A world where millionaire playboys fly around in black rubber, with pointy ears and cape, zooming thru the streets and rooftops in a black tank.

Fantasy. Pure and simple.

no concerns. just take a look at this for christ sakes. did you ever think you would see something so joker on the big screen as this? it looks straight out of a comic book.
joker2xk3.jpg

It is just as possible to end up getting your skin bleached.

Again, want something from Nolan's world that is MORE ridiculous than the Joker?

Microwave Emitter.

Care to show me a case where a person ended up falling into chemicals and having their skin bleached perfectly white and survived healthy enough to live close to a normal life?

It's also shallow, apologetic for the character, and hard to believe. You're basing everything The Joker does on "Wah, I look weird", and implying that that would drive someone to do what The Joker does. That's hard to swallow.

The Joker does not have to have encountered tragedy himself in order to believe that life is a joke. The world is FULL of tragedies and incongruities that are plainly evident. In BATMAN: THE MUSICAL, he's a horrible person who simply realizes how absurd existence is and acts on it to amuse himself.

I prefer to think of The Joker as someone who does what he does because of who he is and who he desires to be...not because of what he looks like.
Concur. To me the essence of the Joker is someone who loves chaos and anarchy for its own sake. He's gleeful about it. Whether that came from a physical disfigurement, life-altering tragedy, or just being born a wacko, it doesn't matter to me. He is who he is.

My only concerns are with the Two-Face arc. I loved TLH because of how it went about telling Harvey Dent's story, and I would be disappointed if they couldn't fit that correctly into TDK.

But I'm not overly concerned about it yet. Just because we haven't seen Harvey Dent footage doesn't mean he isn't in the movie. He's certainly moving things along in the ARG.

I hope the individual fight scenes are better. I want to see Nolan's Batman refine his fighting style.

If you think butchering the Jokers origin is a good thing, that says a lot.

In that case, lets give Batman some guns so he can shoot people like he used to do in the comics!

Look bro, sometimes the comics do things that simply wont work in the context of a movie. This movie is grounded is realism. I can believe that a multi billion dollar technology company has some weird tech that we've never heard of before. In fact, I guarantee you that the government and Lockheed martin and all that DOES have tech we would never believe existed...BUT...I dont believe there is a chemical that would be sitting around that will turn your skin white, your hair green and your lips red. I may be mistaken though.

And its not about butchering origins....you want a butchered Joker origin, look no further than Burtons movie.

Yet you claim something a lot of fans hate. That the Joker was once human, or normal....and the chemicals changed him to be a insane man. That is not the way I have ever liked my Joker. Lots around here prefer it to be a mystery. That Joker is an absolute. The second you give him a reason for why he is the way he is, then you can make sympathetic stories, and pull out the old Sam Raimi violin and start flooding the tears.

Joker is better how originaly Kane saw him, a no body, just evil that came out of thin air. No explanation. Mystery is what makes the Joker the best. I still go by TKJ. Some times he remembers his own history in different ways. So to me, Moore was simply saying Joker has always been insane. Insane enough to create multiple pasts about himself in his own mind.

You can have a man with underlying psychological issues that is not evil lose his mind after a chemical change. A complete mutation of his body. A corruption of his appearance. Again, I explain in this thread my ideal Joker.

The way Kane saw him was a white freak of nature that was a cold blooded killer who was incredibly brilliant and liked to toy with his opponents. If Nolan gives me that - I have no complains at all.

Also though, if the Joker has to apply make up to himself - his mystery IS gone! He wakes up to a mirror reflecting the guy he use to be at all times. There is no freak covering masking the man who once was. Your ruining your own logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"