Days of Future Past Does this movie have too many characters?

Honestly, they only have so little mileage they can get with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique in these films that not having her as future Mystique as well (if she were to appear) seems kind of unlikely to me. They would want to milk Lawrence for all she's worth I think.

In the hands of another director, a film with 20-plus characters might give one reason to worry. But Bryan is pretty accomplished in terms of balancing story-telling with multiple characters. If anything, that seems to be his specialty.

I think we're going to be okay.

.Lord of rings and Hobbit have large casts too.

Lord of the Rings had three 3 hour+ movies to tell one story. The Hobbit is hardly a reassuring example of a large cast film, as most of its characters, particularly dwarves, were forgettable or felt unnecessary (though perhaps they too will benefit from this being a 3-part story). Harry Potter films, to me, always felt very rushed and full of underdeveloped characters.

When people count the cast for X2 and First Class, those lists include characters like silent henchmen and non-mutants. Whereas DoFP combines two sets of the leads from two eras, with lots of fan favourites. These movies always had complaints about some characters not having much development or much to do, I rather expect they'll be doubled with this one.

Last edited:
Honestly, they only have so little mileage they can get with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique in these films that not having her as future Mystique as well (if she were to appear) seems kind of unlikely to me. They would want to milk Lawrence for all she's worth I think.

I can see FOX milking Lawrence's popularity when it comes to promoting this movie, like for TV spots and trailers. But I don't think Bryan Singer would just give her a bigger role because of her star power.

No. It's an ensemble, so it's fine.

Also, remember when Singer said some time ago that bringing back Halle as Storm was not necessarily about making a deal or figuring out a schedule, but he wanted it to make sense, which leads me to believe that each and every character he's cast will weight in on the story, no matter if his/her role is small or big. Which is fine by me - I'd rather have someone appear for 5 minutes, but have a significant role, than to appear for 20 without any point. :funny:

I don't think there's too many characters yet, I trust Singer to cater to each character and to give them their due.

An interesting question though is who will be the leader of the various teams that the film has. There are three teams one in the future and two in the past.
We can safely say Magneto will be the leader of his brotherhood but who will lead the X-Men in the future and more importantly the past? I don't see Xavier leading the team the way he did in First Class.

Brotherhood
Magneto (leader)
Mystique (2nd)
Booboo stewart (if he plays 70's mutant villain)
Omar Sy (if he plays 70's mutant villain)
any other new characters

Future X-Men
Storm (leader ????)
Magneto (2nd)
Wolverine
Kitty Pryde
Rogue
Iceman
Colossus
Blink
Omar Sy (if he's playing Bishop)
Booboo stewart (if he plays future mutant)
Professor Charles Xavier (mentor)

First Class X-Men
Beast (leader ????)
Havok (2nd, If he comes back)
Banshee (If he comes back)
Booboo Stewart (If he plays 70's mutant hero)
Omar Sy (if he play's 70's mutant hero)
any other new characters.

I wonder who Singer will choose as leader for the Future X-Men and the FC team. Will he follow on from X3 and keep Storm a sthe leader (he did say he isn't ignoring any xmen movie) or will he make Magneto leader? or maybe wolverine?

And for the first class team will he go for beast or will he go for havok. It's a shame darwin is still dead he was the only character to display any sort of leadership qualities in First Class.

I don't think there's too many characters yet, I trust Singer to cater to each character and to give them their due.

An interesting question though is who will be the leader of the various teams that the film has. There are three teams one in the future and two in the past.
We can safely say Magneto will be the leader of his brotherhood but who will lead the X-Men in the future and more importantly the past? I don't see Xavier leading the team the way he did in First Class.

Brotherhood
Magneto (leader)
Mystique (2nd)
Booboo stewart (if he plays 70's mutant villain)
Omar Sy (if he plays 70's mutant villain)
any other new characters

Future X-Men
Storm (leader ????)
Magneto (2nd)
Wolverine
Kitty Pryde
Rogue
Iceman
Colossus
Blink
Omar Sy (if he's playing Bishop)
Booboo stewart (if he plays future mutant)
Professor Charles Xavier (mentor)

First Class X-Men
Beast (leader ????)
Havok (2nd, If he comes back)
Banshee (If he comes back)
Booboo Stewart (If he plays 70's mutant hero)
Omar Sy (if he play's 70's mutant hero)
any other new characters.

I wonder who Singer will choose as leader for the Future X-Men and the FC team. Will he follow on from X3 and keep Storm a sthe leader (he did say he isn't ignoring any xmen movie) or will he make Magneto leader? or maybe wolverine?

And for the first class team will he go for beast or will he go for havok. It's a shame darwin is still dead he was the only character to display any sort of leadership qualities in First Class.

Will it be that complex with three different teams?

If they did follow Age of Apocalypse, it sees Xavier killed and Apocalypse rising to rule the world. Magneto and the other mutants then band together to take down Apocalypse and his minions.

If that were to happen, you'd have Magneto's team vs Apocalypse's team.

If it's more like the DoFP comic, then you have past X-Men (plus time traveller(s)) taking on past Brotherhood, while future X-Men fight Sentinels.
If that happens, I'd think Storm will lead the future team, and Wolverine will lead the past team against Magneto's Brotherhood.

Why does everyone keep asking for Banshee and Havoc to come back so passionately? Just because? Or did they become fan-favorite characters or something?

I thought they were quite boring to be honest. They were okay, but I'm glad the most important and interesting mutants from FC are back, and I'd be cool to see some Havoc/Cyclops **** being developed in DOFP, but if they don't come back I won't be heart-broken.

Why does everyone keep asking for Banshee and Havoc to come back? Just because? Or did they become fan-favorite characters or something?

I thought they were quite boring to be honest. They were okay, but I'm glad the most important and interesting mutants from FC are back, and I'd be cool to see some Havoc/Cyclops **** being developed in DOFP, but if they don't come back I won't be heart-broken.

Who do you suggest join Beast?

Who do you suggest join Beast?

Blink and that new guy probably? I dunno. I was wondering whether the absence of young actors being cast for potential FC-time mutants means that we'll get a team-up between the X-Men and the Brotherhood a la X2.

Yeah, I thought Havok and Banshee were pretty poor, to be honest.

really curious, since I think they were cooler and funnier than Iceman in X1 and X2, and a good part of X3 too.

I liked Havok and Banshee more then pretty much all the young X-Men that are coming back for this film.

as sad as it is to admit, I think I feel the same.

But lest hope Rogue, Iceman, Colossus and Kitty surprise not only us the fans, but general audience too this time.

They have cool powers, so if done right and against the sentinels, it could be an epic watch. Im sure Singer can deliver, so fingers crossed

I think Blink will be In future scenes.As for Omar Sy he could be playing a brotherhood
member.Remember they have habit of when character was dropped from one film bringing
them In later when they have a chance.

Doesn't blink also have dimensional travel powers? couldn't she essentially be what causes the time travel?

I liked Havok and Banshee more then pretty much all the young X-Men that are coming back for this film.

Same. But that's because unlike the other characters you mentioned, they were given personalities.

to many characters? hmm some think so i believe

[YT]6KNnGgToqrU[/YT]

the people who think there's "too many characters" are just the ones that want all there favorite characters (aka almost everyone in the film) to have alot of screen time. which is completely un-realistic. you can't make a movie where a full ensemble cast has equal screen time without it turning into a film like "Valentines day" or "New Years Eve" and i don't think anyone wants that either...

I can see FOX milking Lawrence's popularity when it comes to promoting this movie, like for TV spots and trailers. But I don't think Bryan Singer would just give her a bigger role because of her star power.

She still isn't a household name though God knows they're trying to make her one.

the people who think there's "too many characters" are just the ones that want all there favorite characters (aka almost everyone in the film) to have alot of screen time. which is completely un-realistic. you can't make a movie where a full ensemble cast has equal screen time without it turning into a film like "Valentines day" or "New Years Eve" and i don't think anyone wants that either...

The thing is that fans get frustrated when favourite characters get tiny roles, especially where they seem to be wasted or in pointless fan-pleasing cameos.

It's notable that neither Avengers or The Dark Knight went down that road. They picked their main characters and stuck to them. Like it or not, those two films are going to be the standards against which superhero movies will be judged from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"