Days of Future Past Does this movie have too many characters?

the biggest mistake brian could make for this film is giving wolverine a more important role then the others

i get the idea brian likes the wolverine character but at the same time you have a dozen other characters and he isn't doing any other characters or this franchise any favours by being 2nd place to wolverine

it sounds like in interviews he knows this when he said he feels there are other characters that could go as far as wolverine in the franchise, but we will have to see

If you go into X-Men: Days of Future Past thinking that a character like Blink is going to receive the same amount of development as Charles Xavier, of whom there are two, you deserve to be let down. You don't go into The Dark Knight thinking Gordon is going to receive equal treatment as Batman or The Avengers thinking Maria Hill or Pepper Potts are going to receive equal treatment as Tony Stark. Same applies here.

Last edited:
my bad. wonder where i got that notion?

She does create portals. But hasn't travelled through time in the comics.

However, in the Exiles stories she did move between parallel worlds. She was given a device to enable her to teleport a team of mutants into other dimensions, where they were sent by a being called the Timebroker to correct things in alternate universes.

Her powers must be part of the plot in some way. They might even alter her powers so she can create portals through time. Who knows at this point.

Last edited:
If you go into X-Men: Days of Future Past thinking that a character like Blink is going to receive the same amount of development as Charles Xavier, of whom there are two, you deserve to be let down. You don't go into The Dark Knight thinking Gordon is going to receive equal treatment as Batman or The Avengers thinking Maria Hill or Pepper Potts are going to receive equal treatment as Tony Stark. Same applies here.

On the other hand, Blink, Commissioner Gordon, Pepper Potts and Maria Hill are not major fan-favourite superheroes, so no one expects them to dominate. Gordon still managed a good slice of screentime though.

It's when big characters are given tiny roles that fans don't seem to like it.

If this sequel was fair, there would be three groups regarding the screentime of the future x-men:

1. Wolverine, Kitty, Storm
2. Rogue, Iceman
3. Colossus, Blink, and rest of new mutants.

Im sure Singer could do a great balance with Wolverine and Kitty, instead of giving the most screentime to just Logan. So lets hope he does a good ballance with the main x-men.

She does create portals. But hasn't travelled through time in the comics.

However, in the Exiles stories she did move between parallel worlds. She was given a device to enable her to teleport a team of mutants into other dimensions, where they were sent by a being called the Timebroker to correct things in alternate universes.

Her powers must be part of the plot in some way. They might even alter her powers so she can create portals through time. Who knows at this point.

i could easily see that transfer into time travel

Here's a bit about Blink from the Marvel Encyclopaedia of X-Men.

Note that she was from an alternate reality ruled by Apocalypse...

blink042.jpg

Blink is not originally from the Age of Apocalypse. Just that version of her is the more popular one. She originally appeared with the group of kids that would go on to form Generation X in the main reality, but sacrificed herself to save them from the Phalanx. She did recently reappear and join the X-Men in the main reality too.

i thought it was all the same blink? basically Blink from AOA went on to join the Exiles (where alot of other AoA an many alt dimension characters have also been slapped together) then she sacrificed herself, and later returned during necrosha

Here's a bit about Blink from the Marvel Encyclopaedia of X-Men.

Note that she was from an alternate reality ruled by Apocalypse...

blink042.jpg

really like her whole look, she's like a warrior elf.

fingers crossed Singer give us a really cool take of the character. I just hope he doesnt show Fan as herself, since she is well known in China and other asian countries. That would be a big let down

i thought it was all the same blink? basically Blink from AOA went on to join the Exiles (where alot of other AoA an many alt dimension characters have also been slapped together) then she sacrificed herself, and later returned during necrosha

No, not the same. The one that came back in Necrosha is the original 616 one from the pre Gen-X days. The one from Exiles is still out world hopping with other members of the Exiles, we just aren't seeing them anymore.

Rogue, Iceman and Pyro from X2 >>>>>>>> Beast, Banshee, Havok from FC

Rogue, Iceman and Pyro from X2 >>>>>>>> Beast, Banshee, Havok from FC

Well, Rogue, Iceman and Pyro were introduced in X1, where Rogue was a central part of the story. Pyro was only a brief glimpse but nonetheless he was in X1 too.

So I don't know if it's a fair comparison to put three characters' second appearance in X2 against three characters' first appearance in First Class.

in terms of character development, we can say that they have a decent role on X2.

But if we talk about action, power display and cool stuff (classic uniforms included) Banshee, Havok and Beast win.

What some fans preffer is up to eachone, tho. ;)

Banshee and Havok had clear defined personalities and character traits. Iceman? Not so much.

Iceman is like another side of the coin. Personality no, but home life.. and personal life we know alot more about than Banshee and havok.

all 3 have the same amount of development, just in different ways

am I the only one who likes Iceman? I mean, sure I wish he had more development in X1/X2 but what can ya do? :(

Iceman is like another side of the coin. Personality no, but home life.. and personal life we know alot more about than Banshee and havok.

all 3 have the same amount of development, just in different ways

I can definitely agree with that.

Heck, I like all 3 characters. But then again I also had zero problems with Angel and Riptide or any of he other minor characters everyone hates.

Watching First Class atm. I love how balanced this film is. Obviously Xavier, Erik and Raven get the lions share of the X-Men scenes, but I like that every character is able to chime in when they're all talking and it feels natural. Unlike in say, x3 where every important thing is said only by Logan, or in the first two films where other characters just nod to whatever Xavier says.

I can definitely agree with that.

Heck, I like all 3 characters. But then again I also had zero problems with Angel and Riptide or any of he other minor characters everyone hates.

me either.

They had cool powers and served their purpose. Some fans just seem to hate seeing less known mutants. I get the point, but... you know, enjoy the movie and characters for what they are and not for what YOU want.

We're gonna have many more x-men movies, so lets have patience and enjoy the journey

me either.

They had cool powers and served their purpose. Some fans just seem to hate seeing less known mutants. I get the point, but... you know, enjoy the movie and characters for what they are and not for what YOU want.

We're gonna have many more x-men movies, so lets have patience and enjoy the journey

That's not necessarily true. For an original 5 X-man, Iceman is not very popular. I actually quite hate the character from the comics. And Pyro has fewer fans still. Definitely fewer than those of Havok and Banshee.

And yet the scenes those 2 shared with Rogue in X2 made a great film all the more rewatchable.

For me, if they just focused on Xavier and Magneto's relationship and falling out in FC and, since they couldn't get Cyclops, Storm and Jean in the film, just excluded a First Class of students altogether, it would've been a much better flick. Afterall, the reviews for that film have gushed over X and Mags, the chemistry of the two lead actors, and have suggested that the film reaches a lower quality when the rest of the team is shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"