• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fallout 4

I'm still enjoying the game, but it's kind of hilarious how utterly superior New Vegas still is. Every quest in 4 is basically 'go here, clear out the raiders, grab the thing, bring it back,' and with the elimination of all speech checks except for Charisma there is far less freedom. Even more than that the reduced dialogue system is not only incredibly vague, but basically means you can be a good guy or sarcastic good guy. Most checks don't even change missions, they just up how much you get paid for it. Of course there are still missions with choice, but even those are just small ones at the end that don't make any real changes to the world.

Compare New Vegas in which it was a surprise if missions only had one resolution, and even more than that there were multiple branching ways to reach final decisions.

Just look at the different between the first two main missions of the games. In Fallout 4 you go to Concord, and are tasked with clearing out the Raiders. You have no choice to side with the Raiders, you have no choice in how you go about clearing them up, and ultimately the game railroads you into saving the Minutemen and sending them to Sanctuary.

In New Vegas you are tasked with resolving the Goodsprings fight. You can side with Goodsprings OR the Powder Gangers. From there, there are multiple ways to reach these goals. You can kill Joe Cobb early in the bar, thus making the conclusion easier, or you can actually go over to where they are waiting to invade and kill them all by yourself. You can rally the town in your defence by accomplishing various checks, or you can let all six of them invade and tackle them by yourself.

This then has an effect on the wider world - Goodsprings now loves you, and the Powder Gangers hate you - which then means later on you can't help them with their quests. But siding with the Powder Gangers gives you the option to later betray them to the NCR or defeat them when they attack. Multiple branching options that gives you a way to play the game differently, and allow you to roleplay effectively. But even more than that, it feels like the world is actually affected by your actions.

Which is what makes Bethesda's watering down of the roleplaying aspects in Fallout 4 frankly sad. I can no longer play as anything other than a concerned parent looking for their kid, and their watered down dialogue system and choice to have a voiced protagonist now means that my character is reduced further still. It's honestly beyond pathetic that after New Vegas showed - with just 18 months time to design the world and quests - how astounding branching storylines could be used in an open setting, that Bethesda has created an inferior game that is far more of a shooter by this point than an RPG.

I find comparing New Vegas and Fallout 4 not the best thing to do as Bethesda didn't make New Vegas. Hell even in interviews they always discuss Fallout 3. Even Bethesda seems to pretend New Vegas never happened.

The fact that New Vegas ended almost killed it for me. Once I got the endings I just had no desire to do anything else. Kind of hated the setting too.

The fact that New Vegas ended almost killed it for me. Once I got the endings I just had no desire to do anything else. Kind of hated the setting too.

Vanilla Fallout 3 had a more jarring ending than New Vegas which which was then removed by mediocre DLC. I still don't understand people's complaints about New Vegas having a proper ending. The game even warns you about starting the end game.

I find comparing New Vegas and Fallout 4 not the best thing to do as Bethesda didn't make New Vegas. Hell even in interviews they always discuss Fallout 3. Even Bethesda seems to pretend New Vegas never happened.

The problem is that New Vegas is FO4's intimidate predecessor. Instead of Pretending New Vegas doesn't exist, they should have embraced the game and expanded on it for Fallout 4. Obsidian gave Bethesda the blue print to make the original Fallout games quest structure work within Bethesda's style of RPG. To blatantly ignore that is a disservice to the IP and the fans alike.

To not compare the two is ridiculous considering that the writing, RPG elements, companions, and weapon modding are better in New Vegas and that game was released five years ago.

Also, Fallout 1 is now a New Vegas Mod http://www.pcgamer.com/the-original-fallout-is-being-modded-into-fallout-new-vegas/

Last edited:
I think Fallout 4 is better in everything but the quest structure.

I think Fallout 4 is better in everything but the quest structure.

The companions aren't nearly as fleshed out in 4 and you can only have one of them at a time for some reason. Character builds, as in 3, still have no real affect on the game. Bethesda still has no concept of player consequence. The writing is better than it was in 3, but there isn't a single character in this game as complex as the characters in New Vegas.

The companions aren't nearly as fleshed out in 4 and you can only have one of them at a time for some reason. Character builds, as in 3, still have no real affect on the game. Bethesda still has no concept of player consequence. The writing is better than it was in 3, but there isn't a single character in this game as complex as the characters in New Vegas.

While I appreciate you giving your opinions on the matter, I just don't agree with you and I'm not articulate enough to debate my views on the subject.

Last edited:
I simply don't think big open world exploration MMO's should end. I get that it warns me.. But I should be able to continue doing whatever I want after I see the ending. I should t have to start from a previous save. That just annoys me. It annoyed me with Fallout 3 too..

But I'll take Point Lookout over anything in New Vegas.

While I appreciate you giving your opinions on the matter, I just don't agree with you and I'm not articulate enough to debate my views on the subject.

Fair enough. Fallout is my favorite video game series. I've been playing since the original game was released. It was the first RPG I played as a kid that showed me the genre could be more than just swords and sorcery and it's one of the only franchises I am a real "old man" about.

Bethesda's Fallout games are not bad games as stand alone games. They're fun and there's a lot to do, but their limited design philosophy and fundamental misunderstanding of the Fallout franchise really hurts their games as Fallout games.

The original Fallout wasn't about a post apocalyptic world that's stuck in the 1950's, it was a post apocalyptic world set in the future as predicted by the 1950's. Those are two completely different concepts.

Playing Bethesda's Fallout to me is like going to see a bad tribute band who doesn't quite know all the right chords and lyrics.

I will say this, they're on the right path, but they are taking the slowest route to get where they need to be.

I simply don't think big open world exploration MMO's should end. I get that it warns me.. But I should be able to continue doing whatever I want after I see the ending. I should t have to start from a previous save. That just annoys me. It annoyed me with Fallout 3 too..

But I'll take Point Lookout over anything in New Vegas.

Fallout is not an MMO. Those are two completely different design philosophies. Point lookout was decent, but like the main game, had too much wasted space and paper thin characters.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Fallout is my favorite video game series. I've been playing since the original game was released. It was the first RPG I played as a kid that showed me the genre could be more than just swords and sorcery and it's one of the only franchises I am a real "old man" about.

I've been playing Fallout since 1998 myself. I consider the Interplay games and the Bethesda games separate as Bethesda changed too much of the lore to really be the same universe. Still great games, but completely different.

I've been playing Fallout since 1998 myself. I consider the Interplay games and the Bethesda games separate as Bethesda changed too much of the lore to really be the same universe. Still great games, but completely different.

They did indeed change quite a bit, prewar vertibirds, perwar jet. The FEV virus on the east coast... androids. That's what I liked about New Vegas, it was a direct sequel to Fallout 2 and even tried to clean up some of Bethesda's mess with the Enclave remnants.

Last edited:
Bit off topic, but Joe, have you played Wasteland 2? Curious if it veers closer to the Fallout Interplay tradition that you're fond of.

Bit off topic, but Joe, have you played Wasteland 2? Curious if it veers closer to the Fallout Interplay tradition that you're fond of.

Yes and no, The gameplay is more like XCOM in an open world, The quest structure is not linear and you actions have far more impact on the game world. But you are still the very much the good guys in the game and you're trying to rebuild their reputation. Coincidentally there is a big evil android element that game too,

Sadly they will never make another game like the original Fallout ever again.

Luckily role playing a highly intelligent "lawyer" that breaks down after the death of her husband and becomes addicted to Jet and Power Armor after meeting "Mama" Murphy is highly entertaining.

I even gave her the chem resist perk after a while because she uses it so much she must be slowly adapting to it.

End game spoiler: [BLACKOUT]I'm going to have her so deep in denial about Shaun that she just shoots him point black in the face when she meets him.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Sadly they will never make another game like the original Fallout ever again.

Luckily role playing a highly intelligent "lawyer" that breaks down after the death of her husband and becomes addicted to Jet and Power Armor after meeting "Mama" Murphy is highly entertaining.

I even gave her the chem resist perk after a while because she uses it so much she must be slowly adapting to it.

End game spoiler: [BLACKOUT]I'm going to have her so deep in denial about Shaun that she just shoots him point black in the face when she meets him.[/BLACKOUT]
HAHA! That's fantastic. Have you tried Wasteland 2?

If you get it on console, make sure you have your TV close to you, because the font in the game is incredibly small. They did a great job optimizing the controls, but that aspect was overlooked. On a PC its more manageable. (I have it on both.)

Thanks for that tip.

As for Fallout 4 my biggest gripe is that the wife is a lawyer and husband a war vet.
It should have been either you choose your background yourself or that the wife or husband is the vet and spouse the lawyer. A lawyer with power armor training? Sheesh...

The spouse is a lawyer? I thought it was left open, and assumed my character's wife was a veteran soldier as well.

I don't like it when open world games end either, so I'm with Benstamania on that one. For the rest though, while I'm not quite as hardcore about it, I agree with Joe and Two-Face. Even though I liked Fallout 3 a lot more, I fully expected a New Vegas style quest/world structure going into Fallout 4 and was genuinely surprised to find that wasn't the case. After New Vegas it seemed like a no-brainer that having choice and consequence was the direction to go from here on out with future titles.

I am having an absolute blast with Fallout 4, it's the most exciting game I've played in long, long time -that said I full appreciate the criticisms aimed at quest structure, player influence and, to a degree, character depth. I do think Fallout 4 has a bit more freedom than it's given credit for in some areas however.

Incidentally, I had no idea Wasteland 2 was out. Once my Fallout 4 gaming begins to slow I'll be downloading that quick!

The spouse is a lawyer? I thought it was left open, and assumed my character's wife was a veteran soldier as well.

When you interact with the law degree and army uniform in the house prewar you get different dialogue depending on gender. Also a few terminals will mention the male as the war hero as either Nate if you are the wife or your name if you chose the husband.

It isn't major, but small little things like that are why the game isn't as good as it should be.

Saying that... I do have 200 hours logged so it isn't like I boycotted over the fine details.

When you interact with the law degree and army uniform in the house prewar you get different dialogue depending on gender. Also a few terminals will mention the male as the war hero as either Nate if you are the wife or your name if you chose the husband.

Ahh, I see, thanks! I didn't notice those and I thought I'd explored the house pretty thoroughly because I knew I wouldn't be going back there (at least in that time period). I guess it's fortunate, because now I can continue on with my assumed canon of both husband and wife having been soldiers.

Ahh, I see, thanks! I didn't notice those and I thought I'd explored the house pretty thoroughly because I knew I wouldn't be going back there (at least in that time period). I guess it's fortunate, because now I can continue on with my assumed canon of both husband and wife having been soldiers.

There is nothing saying she isn't... just that she has a law degree. She could have done both.

MarvelousMadeupHagfish.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"