• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people are hellbent on getting the X-men back to Marvel?
Few to none, because Fox is killing it with that franchise. However, this movie has looked and sounded terrible since its inception so of course people are going to be upset. This is an intellectually dishonest argument because dozens of detractors here have said since day one that all we really want is a good FF movie, but it's clear as day Fox isn't going to give us one.

This this this!!!!

I am perfectly happy with the X-franchise staying at Fox. It frees up MS to get creative with developing other Avengers-related properties and X-Men are kicking booty at Fox. I was hopeful that F4 would surprise, but I wasn't following production as closely as others on this board, so I was unaware of all the little details and lack of information about this project.

Now, reading up on it, seeing the articles discuss the problems behind the scenes, it was very clear Fox had no idea what to do with Trank and the F4 property. They had no clear vision with how to adapt it in a good, audience-pleasing way. And it seems that some of the promo techniques used were either completely misleading or pretty dishonest. They did not need to pull that wi X-Men, because the movies work on their own. F4, though, was a Trank-wreck from the outset.

Clearly you didn't see the movie. He was called Victor Von Doom. And he wasn't a blogger.
Clearly you didn't read my post :woot: . I didn't claim that he wasn't named Doom in the movie, and neither that he was a blogger. My point was that, AGAIN in the creative process, they tried to give him a "realistic" name, and had to go back to Doom after realizing how stupid it was.

I don't like them all calling him Victor though. I didn't like it in the Story movies and I don't like it here. I prefer they just call him Doom by his last name, which makes it less personal, just as Doom calls Reed "Richards".

Even in the MCU, most people refer to Tony as "Stark", even amongst those who know him better. I feel that "Victor" just waters it down. Not that it really matters though in this case, as runny poo isn't exactly better than solid poo.

Clearly you didn't see the movie. He was called Victor Von Doom. And he wasn't a blogger.
Reshoot.
"Months ago, Kebbel said in an interview that his character's name had been changed from Victor Von Doom to Victor Domashev. Advance reviews have revealed that Fox went back on that, calling the character by his original, comic book name. According to Kebbel, that change happened largely due to the unpopular fan reaction to the new name."
http://www.newsarama.com/25466-toby...ur-fan-backlash-and-sequel-possibilities.html

Saw it Saturday and as someone who considers the FF to be my favorite in Marvelland, it was every bit as awful as reported and predicted. No way will there be a sequel.

I think the hardcore Marvel minions were (and are) hellbent on getting F4 rights back to Disney/Marvel. However the film turned out, that is their desire.

With every piece of information released that went against classic and traditional ideas of what the F4 are about, the fanboys used it as ammunition.

It was a bitter and hateful campaign.

The end result is a misfire but, in my view, it isn't a 9% disaster, despite the RT score. Catwoman is far worse, so is GR2. Odeon cinema viewers rate it 3 out of 5 if that gives you a sense of life outside the intensity of the geek bubble.
Creatively, this was no Catwoman.
At least I recognized who the characters were .

Only thing that makes catwoman better imo is that stuff actually happens in that...what a borefest.

Reshoot.
"Months ago, Kebbel said in an interview that his character's name had been changed from Victor Von Doom to Victor Domashev. Advance reviews have revealed that Fox went back on that, calling the character by his original, comic book name. According to Kebbel, that change happened largely due to the unpopular fan reaction to the new name."
http://www.newsarama.com/25466-toby...ur-fan-backlash-and-sequel-possibilities.html

I was aware of all that. Just pointing out that there was no blogger Domashev in the finished movie.

It always amazes me to see a director come onboard and try to change what made a property so popular for 30/40/50+ years. The studio lets them, THEN wonders why so and so film bombed.
I understand certain things have to be updated, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Because of reshoots. It's just like how William Fichtner was originally the Shredder but everyone else flipped so they reshot the movie to make a Japanese Shredder to calm everyone down.

Creatively, this was no Catwoman.
At least I recognized who the characters were .

From a fan's perspective, Catwoman is easier to take, because that "Catwoman" was not Selina Kyle and therefore the film makers were themselves declaring her to be "CINO". It's just a crap movie that borrows then perverts the idea of Catwoman.

This F4 movie is more of a frontal assault on the mythos.

Pre-release: "Who cares what petty fanboys think? Haters gonna hate and no-one outside of the geek community cares what they changed. Trank is gonna knock this outta the park. I cannot wait!! Where will this vocal minority go when F4 is praised by critics, gets 90% on RT and smashes the box office? Will they have the decency to admit they were wrong!?!".

That's just a sampling of the kind of thing supporters have been inflicting upon this forum over the last year or two.

Post-Release: ".....It's the fans fault."

Yes, critics and audiences 'outside of the geek bubble' were all swayed by us fanboys. An unlikely story, but a predictable excuse, and I gotta admit...It's fantastic :cwink:

Last edited:
Loads and loads of people. In every comment thread on the front page of SHH, in every Facebook group, and in many of the forums.

The reveal of QS prior to DoFP's release had the fanboys calling for a rights reversion. Of course the film turned out fine in spite of that. And now the look of the Deadpool movie is getting positive feedback, but the look of Apocalypse isn't and those same calls for getting X-Men back to Marvel have been coming up again.

Surely you have noticed this?! :huh:
That would be me, I no longer support any of Fox's Marvel films and have no plan to any time soon. That doesn't mean I'm blind to Marvel's flaws or that I don't look forward to the upcoming DC films. Its a preference like anyone else's. Don't see a reason to sugar coat it or hide from it since calling me a fanboy won't force my wallet open or elevate my attention for CBM's by said Studio.

I don't think some people will ever be happy until F4 are back with Disney/Marvel, however good the F4 had turned out. They believe F4 and their cosmic characters like Galactus, etc, are better used as part of the Marvel cinematic universe.
Wow....... I guess w/o supposition there wouldn't be an argument here at all.

For the record I don't torture myself by not watching "good movies" because of the studio bias. I don't support Fox movies because I don't like particularly them. Simple as that. And since Fox is back to their old tricks and the box office is a result of that, singling MCU fans out as the bad guys will just fall on deaf ears anyway.

Because of reshoots. It's just like how William Fichtner was originally the Shredder but everyone else flipped so they reshot the movie to make a Japanese Shredder to calm everyone down.

Interesting. I did not know that, but now that you said it, I can see where they went there. Fichtner was really the main bad guy in TMNT, Shredder kind of felt like an add on.

This has probably already been posted but I thought I would share it anyway. I'm seeing it for the first time this morning and I think whatever people wanna say about the 'CB fan minority' it's easy to see the GA isn't interested in this film either. If this were a well-made movie, CBM or not, it wouldn't be a flop.

Fox's Fantastic Four got a Thing-like pummeling at the box office with a $26.2M first outing, allowing Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation to take #1 for the second weekend in a row with $29.4M.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4094&p=.htm

If we accept that it was merely morbid curiosity that brought much of the movie's audience, we can expect the drop off to be astonishing. It will rank among this movie's already starting list of achievements.

Most movies will drop 50% of its audience after premiere week Sounds like a lot but if they made the amount they hoped it wouldn't be anything to be concerned about as they would make their investment back and then a profit. but this one won't even come close.

If we accept that it was merely morbid curiosity that brought much of the movie's audience, we can expect the drop off to be astonishing. It will rank among this movie's already starting list of achievements.

Usually a lower ow can be more forgiving in the following weeks, but that's usually for films that are liked (get good reviews, good WOM, gain good legs and end up with a decent multiplier).

This things wom is toxic though so the drop next weekend could be staggering. As things look at the moment this will do well to get a 2x multiplier.

I don't think some people will ever be happy until F4 are back with Disney/Marvel, however good the F4 had turned out. They believe F4 and their cosmic characters like Galactus, etc, are better used as part of the Marvel cinematic universe.

This would be me. I am not saying that if Fox made a good Fantastic Four movie I wouldn't want to see it, as they are my Favorite Marvel property. However, I would be lying if I didn't say, no matter how good the FF movie was by Fox that I would always feel there was an opportunity for it to be better within the Marvel Cinematic Universe due to the ability for these characters to interact with the larger universe. I mean how great would it be to have a battle between Hulk and Thing or have a Secret Wars movie later where the Fantastic Four are able to Fight along side the Avengers and Spider-man in a game of survival against a group of formidable Super villains. Or even the use of Silver Surfer and Galactus in Infinity War. I mean the possibilities of crossing over these properties is huge and would be a treat for any fan of comic books. Now even if Fox was able to cross the Fantastic Four with X-men, it really does not make sense. X-men is all about people that are discriminated against because of them being different, and Fantastic Four is all about being Celebrity Super Heroes. The two really don't go together. This is not to say everything Marvel Studios puts out is gold, (although I trust their track record on properties a little more), but they have had their faults as well. In the end though to me either studio is capable of putting out a good or bad movie, but it all comes down to which studio do I trust more to handle the property better and what studio has the possibilities to do more with that property, and for me that would be Marvel Studios all the way.

Surfer

That's just for domestic isn't it? Overseas can be even less (varies by territory).

Overseas agreements between distributors and theater groups are pretty comparable to what was described in that article. Most theater agreements have a sliding scale to cover their fixed overhead and protect themselves against the underperformers. But studios also need to pay overseas distributors as well (where applicable), so that reduces their share from international territories. For wide releases, typically the studio is the domestic distributor, whereas internationally, they have to hire other distributors in certain territories to act as middlemen.

I was aware of all that. Just pointing out that there was no blogger Domashev in the finished movie.

The only thing that was changed was an insert of a page that read "Victor Von Doom Origin: Latveria" and a reshoot with Reg E. Cathey where he introduces him as Victor Von Doom.

The character is still essentially Victor Domachev an anti-social blogger.

Usually a lower ow can be more forgiving in the following weeks, but that's usually for films that are liked (get good reviews, good WOM, gain good legs and end up with a decent multiplier).

This things wom is toxic though so the drop next weekend could be staggering. As things look at the moment this will do well to get a 2x multiplier.

I predict an over 60% drop, but the only caveat being that a film like Wolvering XMO opened to 85M so it had more room to frontload. So the drop might be in the 50% range only because no one went to see this in the first place.

Either way it's the biggest flop of the summer, and likely the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"